12-7-1941 Pearl Harbour

Werbung:
That was a terrible day. I had no family members there but I did later on have an Uncle (my Uncle Orville) that was an infantry Captain who was attached to Patton's Armor Division in WW2.

He didn't really talk about it much, but now and then a story would come out and some of them really made you think about just how bad war really can be

He also had a zinger for General Patton himself now and then. I remember once when I was just a boy out at my grandparents farm he was talking about Patton with my Dad and he said something like... Yeah old blood & guts... our blood and his guts.

He wasn't really putting him down he actually said it kinda jokingly. I think he was just saying the guy really pushed everyone really hard.

Do they still issue licence plates to veterans ....or am I dreaming things up again..... I seem to recall from the dim recesses of my brain that vets got special car licence plates!!??

Not dreaming Scotsman, they do... at least I know they do here in Ohio. They even have the ribbon insignia of certain conflicts on them such as Desert Storm or whatever.

Not dreaming Scotsman, they do... at least I know they do here in Ohio. They even have the ribbon insignia of certain conflicts on them such as Desert Storm or whatever.

They did where I grew up as well. The license plate said "Pearl Harbor Survivor."

I wish I could have posted this yesterday on the 7th but I was busy. But I have had the chance to visit Pearl quite a few times on my many vacations to Hawaii. It is a very powerful experience to visit the USS Arizona and see the modern war ships around the area. I recommend whoever travels to Hawaii to make the time to visit the base.

I heard a joke about Pearl a few years ago, it goes something like this.

To memorialize the 60th anniversary Pearl Harbor veterans from both sides were to meet at Pearl. When an elderly Japanese veteran approached a Marine guard at the base for directions, asking where the USS Arizona was...
The Marine politely answered to the Japanese man...
"The Arizona is right where you left it":D

....thats nice to know! You guys always valued the contributions of your vets than we seem to do ours.........sad really.......

In my great home state, where there are more veterans and active duty personnel per capita than any other state, they are eligible for special license plates that designate veteran status, purple heart winner, MOH winner and former POW are some of the ones I have seen.

The problem with veterans affairs in this country is that the value and appreciation shown to the veterans are all to often nothing but lip service and bumper stickers.
Its the same politicians who send the troops to battle, but dont give the services necessary when they return. As is evidenced by the disgraceful status of Walter Reed, the lack of adequate mental health resources and beauracratic nightmare the VA tends to be.
Also I have noticed that it is often those most against entitlement programs and complaining about high taxes, but are the first to want to send troops into harms way.

Werbung:
Most states have Veteran plates...my stepfather does. His have an American flag background, the plate number, and a branch of service decal (Army, in his case). AFAIK, they have decals for all branches available (Army, Army National Guard, Air Force, Air National Guard, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, Army Air Corps).

Back