1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

1954; Independence For Vietnam!!!

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by Mr. Shaman, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

Well....it COULD have been!!!!!

:mad:

2. TheFranklinParty

TheFranklinParty New Member

Be careful where you throw stones...JFK and LBJ were the ones who escalated our involvement in Vietnam past advisory.

3. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

Not to worry.

No one will ever accuse you Freepers of historical-accuracy.

:rolleyes:

4. TheFranklinParty

I missed your point...your reference article supports my comment.

5. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

....Only if you're dyslexic-enough to read Truman, and see JFK or LBJ.

:rolleyes:

6. TheFranklinParty

Okay, let's try to get the facts straight...Truman was a Democrat...Eisenhower was a Republican...JFK and LBJ were Democrats.

From your reference article..."U.S. involvement continued and so did U.S. money and men. American presence rose to 500 under Eisenhower and grew to 15,000 under Kennedy." It then exploded under LBJ.

Every war is horrible in it's own right. The Vietnam War was especially painful because so many lives were lost for what seemed to be a philosophical difference. I lost friends there. There was cruelty and stupidity on both sides of that fight and no one should go blameless.

My point is that, especially regarding this war, all parties were to blame and at fault for not recognizing early enough that we might have been better off staying out of this civil war. Both parties had too much skin in the game and couldn't make common sense decisions because of their financial and political prejudices.

7. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

PARTY wasn't the subject.​
    We were involved, pre-Truman.

If anyone escalated our involvement, it was him. ​

8. TheFranklinParty

Pre-Truman we were involved in that whole area...it was called WWII. Our involvement in $ was inevitable, as it was in Korea, China, and the Philippians. We were trying to help rebuild the whole Pacific rim.

I apologize for suggesting that you were throwing the Republicans under the bus, but your quote focused on the Republican Whip who had little or no power at the time, so I made an assumption.

Also, realize that there was a real and present danger of Communist influence dominating the area. Just as we were trying to apply influence, so were the Soviets. This was a game no one new how to play and ended badly for far too many innocent civilians around the world because we both chose to back leaders who weren't very benevolent.

One last thought, the real culprit was LBJ for sending so many of our young men to Vietnam. All the $ sent there was not even close to the atrocity of sending that many young men to deal with that war.

9. ASPCA4EVER

ASPCA4EVER New Member

Land of the JAYHAWKS-ROCK CHOCK Jayhawk, KU
    Good Points but doesn't it just reek of the mentality of "in for a penny - in for a pound" {but in this case it was human flesh/body counts} and while I agree about LBJ's response...I can't think that had JFK lived this would have been the exact same turn out/eventual ending! IMO

10. TheFranklinParty

I agree...the only difference was that LBJ had more ties to the defense industry. Also, Robert Kennedy was not in agreement with John on expanding the Vietnam effort and that may have had a longer-term influence.