1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

A good book you've read recently?

Discussion in 'House of Politics Lounge' started by Nammy, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Nammy

Nammy Guest

A good book you've read recently?

I read Sextus - Outlines of Pyrrhonism recently. It was pretty good.

2. USMC the Almighty

USMC the Almighty New Member

Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography. Excellent read.

3. Walter

Walter Administrator Staff Member

The Kite Runner...

4. Enlightened One

Enlightened One New Member

Jacksonville, Florida/ Virgin Islands (US)
    i just read, "Mainspring of Human Progress" it's by Henry (grady) Weaver He was a division head with General Motors in the 30's and 40's, It was a very good read..

5. TVoffBrainOn

TVoffBrainOn Member

"Memoirs" John D Rockefeller Jr autobiography

Plenty of info on the Council on Foreign Relations and the Trilateral Commision, Standard Oil Company, Federal Reserve Banking System, New World Order.

All the good stuff that is usually lumped in with "tin foil conspiracism" but straight from the mouth of the "man behind the man".

6. joshingpolitics

joshingpolitics New Member

The Higher Power of Lucky

This Newbery Medal winning children's book is an excellent story for kids and adults to see how a child finds her way in the world after losing her mother.

Unfortunately a few librarys banned the book because it contained the word 'scrotum'. I wrote about the issue here, be sure to check out the discussion on DailyKos (from the blogroll link) as well.

7. palerider

palerider Well-Known Member

Non Zero, the Logic of Human Destiny by Robert Wright is a pretty good read.

8. terra kengo

terra kengo New Member

I recently read Dave Eggers' book, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, which was nominated for a Pulitzer a few years ago. This was staunchly disappointing after hearing the hype of the book.

9. inbadfaith

inbadfaith New Member

David Hume, On Suicide Interesting stuff. I love his writing, concise, sharp, but still eloquent and poetic. I am also in the middle of reading Middle East Illusions by Chomsky and Emotional Intelligence by ??? I love books by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and John Irving, esp. Prayer For Owen Meany if you want a tearjearker.

I am addicted to foofy psychology books these days; Malcom Gladwell's Tipping Point and Blink, Freakanomics, etc.

10. TVoffBrainOn

TVoffBrainOn Member

Rule By Secrecy - Jim Marrs

11. zerorelations

zerorelations New Member

What's the book about?

12. Lilly Marlene

Lilly Marlene New Member

The most recent book I read was a non-fiction called "The Star Thrower" by Loren Eiseley. Seriously, there is no praise I can think of which would do it justice.

I have just bought the book "An Introduction to Economic Reasoning" by David Gordon.

I've always had a tough time navigating economic principles so I thought this might make it easier for me (it was recommended for advanced high school students by the Mises Institute).

I want to understand the position of people who disagree with protective tariffs.

Haven't cracked it open yet though.

13. USMC the Almighty

Free trade, Lily, free trade.

14. Lilly Marlene

Lilly Marlene New Member

Thing is, that so-called free trade seems like a loser deal for weaker parts of the world, and in very fact it seems like a crummy deal for us right now.

The way I see it, a nation's function is an extension of the function of a family ...and like a family it should look after its own interests first.

Free trade benefits "persons" (in the modern sense) whose first loyalties are not to their nations.

Maybe this Mises book will alter my thinking and cause me to agree with you though.

15. USMC the Almighty

I agree with a lot of what you said, Lily -- I'm a traditional Republican in the sense that I would support a small protective tariff to protect American interests, harkening back to the days of Henry Clay.