A "Me" Society

FourBear

Considering things like MySpace and Time's Person of the Year (you!), we seem to be a very me-centric society. How deep do you think this runs, and what consequences (or benefits) could this have?

Werbung:
I guess it depends on the idividuals. If people are more comfortable with themselves, they feel that their success is a "sure thing" and are working for it, I think it ultimately benefits the whole society. But I guess maybe there should be more focus on the "us" as a society, and we should work for to make it better.

I think the culture is very "me" focused, to the detriment of many. Just look at the number of actors, actresses, and singers that are self-destructing because they can have anything they want. Unfortunately, the children and teens that look up to them, wanting to be like them, are the collateral damage. It's shameful.

I think if you get to self involved in the ME that you will have a very selfish society. Not that you cannot work towards what is best for you but just not at the exspense of others. I hope that makes some kind of sense.

I also think that maybe this ME society should keep in mind that MY rights end where YOURD begin. It is a basic principle that could do wonders.

Too bad more people can't grasp that concept, berlinlife. I've met several people who will do whatever it takes to get something, at the expense of others.

the more media pushes on us and we accept it the more me society we will become and a more NOW society people dont want to wait for anythign anymore.

It's amazing to me how I catch myself getting frustrated waiting for the microwave to finish cooking or warming my food. A few years ago, this would not have been possible.

You're right about instant gratification, no one wants to wait. Not only that, but you see how people are only concerned with that THEY want and when THEY want it - which is usually now!

My quick reply: It runs at the very fundamental roots of our society as we see it now, and will result in the stagnation of every single sector thereof, from economic to cultural.

I shall justify this claim at a later date ;)

I really started to notice how me-oriented I was (and just about everyone else I know) when I took an extended trip to Asia. In the country where I was staying, everything just took longer to do: transportation, eating at a restaurant, etc. It took a while for me to get used to it, but when I did I was so much more relaxed. I found that I was able to really spend time just talking with someone over a long lunch or riding the trolley. But in the West, time is money, and we can't afford to do that sort of thing on a daily basis.

I really started to notice how me-oriented I was (and just about everyone else I know) when I took an extended trip to Asia. In the country where I was staying, everything just took longer to do: transportation, eating at a restaurant, etc. It took a while for me to get used to it, but when I did I was so much more relaxed. I found that I was able to really spend time just talking with someone over a long lunch or riding the trolley. But in the West, time is money, and we can't afford to do that sort of thing on a daily basis.
Can we really not afford to... I think more so we have come to value money more than time which is an oxymoron cause we are suppose to be working so we have money for our free time and experiences... which seems to be less and less lately. But i have found myself stoping and making my self slow down.:halt:

Werbung:
it's nice to get to slow down whenever you can, although sometimes when i do start to slow down i feel kind of guilty, like i should be doing something.

Back