A Tragic Mistake

Popeye

This is crazy..

I voted for Obama, donated to his campaign, but I can't defend the sending of more troops to Afghanistan. Heck, we've still got them in Iraq...what happened to his promise to have them all out of there within a year?

Obama's presidency, so far, has been a disappointment for me and many other liberals. He's continued all of Bush's wars. Kos had a poll yesterday, showing a distinct lack of enthusiasm among Democrats..we're going to get creamed next year.

I suppose we’ll never learn. President Obama will go on TV Tuesday night to announce that he plans to send tens of thousands of additional American troops to Afghanistan to fight in a war that has lasted most of the decade and has long since failed.

After going through an extended period of highly ritualized consultations and deliberations, the president has arrived at a decision that never was much in doubt, and that will prove to be a tragic mistake. It was also, for the president, the easier option.

It would have been much more difficult for Mr. Obama to look this troubled nation in the eye and explain why it is in our best interest to begin winding down the permanent state of warfare left to us by the Bush and Cheney regime. It would have taken real courage for the commander in chief to stop feeding our young troops into the relentless meat grinder of Afghanistan, to face up to the terrible toll the war is taking — on the troops themselves and in very insidious ways on the nation as a whole.

More soldiers committed suicide this year than in any year for which we have complete records. But the military is now able to meet its recruitment goals because the young men and women who are signing up can’t find jobs in civilian life. The United States is broken — school systems are deteriorating, the economy is in shambles, homelessness and poverty rates are expanding — yet we’re nation-building in Afghanistan, sending economically distressed young people over there by the tens of thousands at an annual cost of a million dollars each.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/opinion/01herbert.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

Werbung:
This is crazy..

I voted for Obama, donated to his campaign, but I can't defend the sending of more troops to Afghanistan. Heck, we've still got them in Iraq...what happened to his promise to have them all out of there within a year?

Obama's presidency, so far, has been a disappointment for me and many other liberals. He's continued all of Bush's wars. Kos had a poll yesterday, showing a distinct lack of enthusiasm among Democrats..we're going to get creamed next year.

Did you not listen to what he said during the campaign? Afghanistan was the war he wanted to focus on... he has already sent in thousands more soldiers earlier in the year. He is doing exactly what he said he was going to do.

This is crazy..

What's that old colloquial saying: 'you can make some of the people happy some of the time and most of the people happy most of the time...but you'll never make all of the people happy all of the time' ;)

Never in my lifetime has any president faced the plethora of difficult decisions that we currently face; which does he ignore and stay focused upon, which does he cut and avoid because there isn't a SIMPLE/EASY way to fix it, which does he force upon those that don't want his options/plan, which does he cut the losses for and say it's time to just pull out and walk away:confused:

And I'm a huge cynic and I even knew that while our newly elected president made many a verbal promise while running for election...that when the finite inner workings were laid bare before his eyes that he might not be able to do all of those wonderful verbal promises that he clearly stated to each and everyone of us prior to January 2009.

The reality of the situation and the working details always seem to catch up the newly elected official and the things promised just don't come to fruition! I'm still hopeful and I'm still supportive...because I don't have nor do I know the answers to help him with the tough decisions that face him each & every day!

What's that old colloquial saying: 'you can make some of the people happy some of the time and most of the people happy most of the time...but you'll never make all of the people happy all of the time' ;)

Never in my lifetime has any president faced the plethora of difficult decisions that we currently face; quote]

I know you're more than 8 years old. Nothing he has faced matches up.

How about planes being flown into the Pentagon, and the WTC.
How about the dot com burst where so much wealth was lost in one week that it collapsed the housing market in California?
How about earthquakes and hurricanes?
How about the Saving and Loan disaster?
How about the Iranians taking our Embassy personnel hostage?
How about an oil embargo and 15% unemployment?
How about forced integration?
How about the Cold War?
How about Vietnam?
How about the Cuban Missile Crisis?

Let's be real...it hasn't been easy, but he hasn't faced anything compared to some of the Presidents of the last 50 years.

I haven't been a fan of President Obama, but I also haven't been bad mouthing him either. I figured, give him a chance, but it is getting harder and harder to stay neutral.

Never in my lifetime has any president faced the plethora of difficult decisions that we currently face; quote]

I know you're more than 8 years old. Nothing he has faced matches up.

How about planes being flown into the Pentagon, and the WTC.
How about the dot com burst where so much wealth was lost in one week that it collapsed the housing market in California?
How about earthquakes and hurricanes?
How about the Saving and Loan disaster?
How about the Iranians taking our Embassy personnel hostage?
How about an oil embargo and 15% unemployment?
How about forced integration?
How about the Cold War?
How about Vietnam?
How about the Cuban Missile Crisis?

Let's be real...it hasn't been easy, but he hasn't faced anything compared to some of the Presidents of the last 50 years.

I haven't been a fan of President Obama, but I also haven't been bad mouthing him either. I figured, give him a chance, but it is getting harder and harder to stay neutral.

Maybe your as like minded as an 8 year old...:confused: find a president that has faced 'ALL' of the finite detailed high priority long list that this one President has faced in the first year of office...hmmm. Just one who's had the long list of hot priorities that he's had to juggle within his first days!!!

And the list is rather childish/inaccurate when it hasn't the entire data of: dates/seated presidents/length of office/events of incidents with the same time period as this current president. So if your going to compare apples to apples at least get the right examples to compare or your data is as wild arsed futile as something that 'ALWAYS' would throw around just because it SOUNDS GOOD!!! ;)

This is crazy..

Obama's presidency, so far, has been a disappointment for me and many other liberals. He's continued all of Bush's wars.

I did not vote for Obama nor did I donate to his campaign, but I do agree that he is a total and complete failure. Bush was very much a failure too with a few notable exceptions. But this is the result when you ignore the Constitution and govern as a liberal.

Well... back to Afghanistan. How many of you actually believe that line about we're there to fight Al Qaeda and the Taliban? There's gotta' be a lot more to that story than is publicly told... something like poppies and pipelines...

This is crazy..

Your post made me sad. You know that I dont like obama but I know you have admired him and worked really hard to defend him, it was sad to see you let down.

I felt the same way a while back when pocket made a post about John Edwards and being disapointed in him. That post also made me sad.

This is crazy..

You voted wrong then he was very clear about sending more troops to Afghanistan..and the troops are coming out of Iraq, and he never set a clear timetable of 100% at this date, and we already have a planned withdraw out that he is following as agreed with the Iraq Government...

I did not vote for Obama nor did I donate to his campaign, but I do agree that he is a total and complete failure. Bush was very much a failure too with a few notable exceptions. But this is the result when you ignore the Constitution and govern as a liberal.

First let us all act shocked that you did not vote for or give him money..

next lets ponder why you bothered to even say that ...of course you did not, of course you do, if he did evry single thing he promised evrything went great...you will still say he failed...Normaly when you say things like. ...I don't not vote for him, or give him money...its followed by a ..but I agree with x.....but nice try to act like your not bias or something?

Your post made me sad. You know that I dont like obama but I know you have admired him and worked really hard to defend him, it was sad to see you let down.

I felt the same way a while back when pocket made a post about John Edwards and being disapointed in him. That post also made me sad.

If your disappointed in a leader, for doing what they said they would do, and then you voted for them...and they did what they said...then that is sad...

If your disappointed in a leader, for doing what they said they would do, and then you voted for them...and they did what they said...then that is sad...

I dont think every one who voted for obama felt he would put more troops in afganastan even though he said it.

Many many people I know who voted for him are fustrated because they felt they heard him say he would bring an end to war and bring troops home.

I did not hear that when he spoke but some people did and they are sad, I am sad for them because what ever was or was not said those people still feel very let down and Its sad to me when people feel let down.

I am not disapointed, I am just saying I feel bad for Popeye who feels disapointed.

I felt bad for you too when Edwards got in that affair, baby situation. You felt let down by him and even though I was no Edwards fan, I felt bad for you because you felt let down.

I dont have to agree with someone or thier political idea's to feel for them if they are disapointed, let down or what ever...

I dont think every one who voted for obama felt he would put more troops in afganastan even though he said it.

Many many people I know who voted for him are fustrated because they felt they heard him say he would bring an end to war and bring troops home.

I did not hear that when he spoke but some people did and they are sad, I am sad for them because what ever was or was not said those people still feel very let down and Its sad to me when people feel let down.

the Iraq Troops are coming home as he stated..and he is sending more to Aftanistan as he stated...if they are mad becuse they thought something different would happen...well tough for them. I don't feel bad for people who don't listen , when he said it 10000 times ...pay attention for don't vote.

Werbung:
Maybe your as like minded as an 8 year old...:confused: find a president that has faced 'ALL' of the finite detailed high priority long list that this one President has faced in the first year of office...hmmm. Just one who's had the long list of hot priorities that he's had to juggle within his first days!!!

And the list is rather childish/inaccurate when it hasn't the entire data of: dates/seated presidents/length of office/events of incidents with the same time period as this current president. So if your going to compare apples to apples at least get the right examples to compare or your data is as wild arsed futile as something that 'ALWAYS' would throw around just because it SOUNDS GOOD!!! ;)

I hope you realize, I was making a joke about being older than 8 years old. It was a comment to the actual years since the WTC and not a slight in any way.

Next, I'm confused in your need for dates and seated presidents. Each of these stand alone and were dealt with (or not) by a President of the United States. If you don't know when each of these things happened and which president was in office at the time, then get your money back from your Social Studies teachers. This is BASIC U.S. history.

Your questioning of this basic history is part of why you take the positions you do and throw crap at those of us who differ with you. This past year has been nothing compared to 1968 for example. On top of all that, President Obama has had the mainstream media steadfastly behind him.

Finally, bite me!!!! No disrespect to "Always", but comparing me to his extreme viewpoint is inappropriate. You need to be taught a lesson in manners. If you don't have anything intelligent to say then shut up and go on to another thread. Stop the name calling, the cat calling and the comparisons.

Back