A worrisome concern with Govt bailouts and control

Little-Acorn

Heard an interesting thing today about what the Federal government is doing with the companies it has bailed out or otherwise heavily subsidized. Obama is now considering cutting the pay of CEOs of bailed-out companies by some 90%. Some people say he doesn't have the authority to do that. But others reply that it's part of the deal: Only companies that receive bailout money or other such govt support, are subject to this kind of control from govt.

Well..... Do you, personally, receive substantial support from government?

- Do you have a mortgage that the govt has made tax-exempt?
- Do you get Social Security or Medicare or other such payments from the govt?
- Is your income low enough that you pay no Federal income taxes, and then get money from the Earned Income Tax Credit on your income tax forms?
- Are you (or your child) getting a Federal college grant or loan?
- Are you about to sign up for the "Public Option" of Obamacare, as soon as it becomes available?

If the Federal govt can reach out and dictate salary, bonus, etc. for employees in companies it has given large amounts of money to, How long will it be before they say that they can also dictate various things to YOU since they give you money too?

If not, why not?

It's nice to think that people would call their congressmen or whomever, in sufficient numbers to keep it from ever happening. But this government is a past master at "turning the heat up gradually", putting distasteful programs into place a little at a time to avoid people's outrage.

What LAW prevents the government from eventually doing what I described?

Werbung:
It's no good, the government taking liberty to (pretend to) clean up a mess they made by tossing around our money. Sooner or later, they get everyone.

The wingnuts sure love these moonbat issues. Birthers, deathers, and now fears that the government is going to dictate their salaries. They sure are afraid of a lot of things they manufacture for themselves.

It's also quite comical to see them now advocating calling you "congressmen or whomever" to help protect those multi-million dollar bonuses for those poor executives. They think that's a winner?

Someone gets rolled, they get rolled - what they make or what kind of person they are doesn't change it. If it happens publicly and instead of opposing it the government are the ones doing the rolling that's far from a consolation to me.

Heard an interesting thing today about what the Federal government is doing with the companies it has bailed out or otherwise heavily subsidized. Obama is now considering cutting the pay of CEOs of bailed-out companies by some 90%. Some people say he doesn't have the authority to do that. But others reply that it's part of the deal: Only companies that receive bailout money or other such govt support, are subject to this kind of control from govt.

Well..... Do you, personally, receive substantial support from government?

- Do you have a mortgage that the govt has made tax-exempt?
- Do you get Social Security or Medicare or other such payments from the govt?
- Is your income low enough that you pay no Federal income taxes, and then get money from the Earned Income Tax Credit on your income tax forms?
- Are you (or your child) getting a Federal college grant or loan?
- Are you about to sign up for the "Public Option" of Obamacare, as soon as it becomes available?

If the Federal govt can reach out and dictate salary, bonus, etc. for employees in companies it has given large amounts of money to, How long will it be before they say that they can also dictate various things to YOU since they give you money too?

If not, why not?

It's nice to think that people would call their congressmen or whomever, in sufficient numbers to keep it from ever happening. But this government is a past master at "turning the heat up gradually", putting distasteful programs into place a little at a time to avoid people's outrage.

What LAW prevents the government from eventually doing what I described?

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the government already dictate what some workers can make? I mean don't the military and federal employees have a chart as to how much they can make and what type of bonuses they get? I don't know I'm just curious because if your argument is that the government will tell people what to make in regards to their paychecks then its already being done. I don't hear anyone complaining from the military or the federal side. However when you stationed in the Persian gulf as a military member you do get to have Tax free paychecks so that perk right there is a big BONUS indeed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the government already dictate what some workers can make? I mean don't the military and federal employees have a chart as to how much they can make and what type of bonuses they get? I don't know I'm just curious because if your argument is that the government will tell people what to make in regards to their paychecks then its already being done. I don't hear anyone complaining from the military or the federal side. However when you stationed in the Persian gulf as a military member you do get to have Tax free paychecks so that perk right there is a big BONUS indeed.

(wondering what kind of a stretch it takes to equate govt setting pay scales for its own employees, with govt setting pay scales for private citizens completely outside govt :confused: )

Since you seem so challenged to understand the concept, I'll explain it simply for you. The salaries that are being considered for capping are not "completely outside the government". They're executives that screwed up so bad it took the government's capital infusion to save their corporations.

As for "private citizens", that's just an issue manufactured exclusively by you to be afraid of. It doesn't exist, isn't being discussed, isn't being considered, and only exists in the shallow minds of intellectual dwarfs.

Looks like little greco and PFOS have almost caught up with the first post. That's progress. :D

To reiterate: If the Federal govt is allowed to directly dictate salaries in large companies on grounds that it bailed them out or otherwise subsidized them, what law will stop them from dictating later on, salaries of any other large or small companies (or individuals) that it gave money to?

Well, since you insist on proving you're a mental midget, let me explain it this way. There is no law now that would give that authority. It's a moot point. It's a stupid premise, but we've come to expect that from you.

It doesn't make sense.

The govt gives these large corporations the publics money so they 'don't fail' .
But by going forward with this 90% pay cut, the best talent will more than likely leave the company, which means all the money lent will more than likely be lost

How does that make any sense?

The pay czar also said he thinks other companies should take his lead on the pay cuts for the bailout executives. Now to be fair he didn't say he would force it, but that he thinks they should.

These marxists in the White House will not be happy until America fails.

It's no good, the government taking liberty to (pretend to) clean up a mess they made by tossing around our money.
You're a little late.

bush_republicard.jpg

:rolleyes:

It doesn't make sense.

The govt gives these large corporations the publics money so they 'don't fail' .
But by going forward with this 90% pay cut, the best talent will more than likely leave the company, which means all the money lent will more than likely be lost

How does that make any sense?
It doesn't.

When it comes to developing a premise, you should consult with someone who knows how it's done.

:rolleyes:

Werbung:
You are good at being crass, but that just goes nowhere to solving problems.

How do you see this reach into our corporations executives pay will have a positive outcome for the money we've lent these companies.

Back