Abolish the monarchy!

Werbung:
Imagine Ancient Egypt without slavery.

Imagine Ancient Greece without human sacrifice.

Precisely!

There is a need to maintain a national identity so that we may learn from the wisdom and folly of those who preceded us.

I understand that it is expensive. Is there a direct salary paid to the queen? I have never been to the UK but would like to go some time and I would like to check out the palaces etc. I would think that the royal family would have enough money privately where a salary would be unnecessary.
Also there is a certain amount of prestige that the queen brings to the UK. I mean she isnt my queen so you can do with the royal family what you want. What would all the royal watchers find thier own lives?

Precisely!

There is a need to maintain a national identity so that we may learn from the wisdom and folly of those who preceded us.

I really hope you're being sarcastic here, because it seems like you're saying that the Brits ought to maintain their monarchy so that someday someone can learn from their mistake.

I really hope you're being sarcastic here, because it seems like you're saying that the Brits ought to maintain their monarchy so that someday someone can learn from their mistake.

Either way, I think his point is valid. He did mention wisdom and FOLLY.

Niminus, empathise with the British taxpayer. 75,000,000 is payed to the royal family, when they are already worth millions upon millions and rake in their own income at the same time!

Would you want to pay that for the sake of tradition? We could save some of our NHS from the ****ter, help the slums in London a bit, just generally help the people of Britain, not a Royal Family nobody associates with.

No.

I am saying that the brits see in their monarchy a part of their national identity.

How much do you think should a national identity cost, eh? If its worth dying for, it certainly is worth far more than 75,000,000 pounds, don't you think?

Niminus, empathise with the British taxpayer. 75,000,000 is payed to the royal family, when they are already worth millions upon millions and rake in their own income at the same time!

The brits have one of the richest and most powerful nation in the world. I'm quite sure they are more than capable of taking care of themselves without my empathy.

Would you want to pay that for the sake of tradition? We could save some of our NHS from the ****ter, help the slums in London a bit, just generally help the people of Britain, not a Royal Family nobody associates with.

Imagine yourself waking up one morning with no past or sense of identity. How much would you pay just to get these back, hmm?

I dont count the monarchy as anything to do with my past identity, and I never thought it was worth dying for.

I dont count the monarchy as anything to do with my past identity, and I never thought it was worth dying for.

National identity isn't worth dying for??!!

And is there any way to talk about the national identity of the brits without any mention of its monarchy?

Are you even aware that a nationality is a BASIC HUMAN RIGHT provided in the universal declaration of human rights?

Abolish?

I am not from the UK so I will not give an unsolicited opinion. Nevertheless, I have heard that the majority of tourists visit the UK to view the trappings of the Monarchy. Therefore, it seems logical that if more money is made on the tourist trade via monarchy, than is spent on supporting the monarchy, it would seem prudent to keep it in place for the sake of the tourist dollar.

Yes, I understand that. But spending a furthuer 75,000,000 of tax payers money is bang out of order.

Anyway, the tourist industry would benefit even more if the monarchy was abolished and the castles, palaces and private grounds were sold off and opened up to the public.

I feel no love or attachment to the monarchy. They have never done anything for me, or any of the (at least) last 5 generations except spend our money and make the front pages of the tabloids.

Just because we abolish the monarchy doesn't mean it never existed Numinus.

It is already abolished for all intents and purposes. The monarchy doesn't have any political power. What we are talking about is an institution maintained for national identity.

Frankly speaking, I do not understand this overwhelming need on your part to destroy on the sole basis of some practical utility. There are lots of things in this world that exist without any discernable practical utility. That is human culture. That is one of the things that makes us what we are.

Werbung:
It is already abolished for all intents and purposes. The monarchy doesn't have any political power. What we are talking about is an institution maintained for national identity.

Frankly speaking, I do not understand this overwhelming need on your part to destroy on the sole basis of some practical utility. There are lots of things in this world that exist without any discernable practical utility. That is human culture. That is one of the things that makes us what we are.

Because I don't want to be ruled over by something that has absoloutley no purpose or power except to spend my money and make the tabloids.

If I wanted that I would get a bunch of half interesting celebrities in the palace.

Back