Abolish the monarchy!

Because I don't want to be ruled over by something that has absoloutley no purpose or power except to spend my money and make the tabloids.

If I wanted that I would get a bunch of half interesting celebrities in the palace.

That's what you want, eh? There's an easier way to get it. Give up your british citizenship.

Werbung:
So do you not believe in any malleability in government?

Of course I do - by popular initiatives. Reconstituting society because an angry segment of it wants to scrimp on 75 million pounds is a bit extreme, no?

Of course I do - by popular initiatives. Reconstituting society because an angry segment of it wants to scrimp on 75 million pounds is a bit extreme, no?

Not if you ask me, especially if one is living in an inflated economy. I don't know offhand how things are over in Britain right now but the last time I was there prices were damn high.

Don't forget, the national identity is about as malleable as the government - perhaps even more so. If the people aren't identifying with the monarchy anymore, it should be allowed to pass into history.

Once upon a time, all Americans were British citizens. We rejected that national identity and instead chose to forge our own. The situation our "cousins" are in now is, obviously, a bit different, but the underlying principle is still there: when you don't identify with your national identity, change is in the air.

And if the initiative to remove the monarchy fails, so what? It fails. It's not like 9sublime is talking about fermenting a revolution or anything. If the people want to "scrimp" (nice diction) on those seventy-five million pounds, let 'em. I don't see that restyling their country from the "United Kingdom" to the "United British Republics" or whatever would kill their society's sense of identity.

79% of people believe that it has lost touch with society. Thats some way to a popular initiative.

75,000,000 a year numinus, not to mention the fact they make their own income and are stinking rich to start with. Straight from the pocket of the taxpayer, for what? National identity? I have hundreds of other things I would rather call my national identity.

Not if you ask me, especially if one is living in an inflated economy. I don't know offhand how things are over in Britain right now but the last time I was there prices were damn high.

Don't forget, the national identity is about as malleable as the government - perhaps even more so. If the people aren't identifying with the monarchy anymore, it should be allowed to pass into history.

Once upon a time, all Americans were British citizens. We rejected that national identity and instead chose to forge our own. The situation our "cousins" are in now is, obviously, a bit different, but the underlying principle is still there: when you don't identify with your national identity, change is in the air.

And if the initiative to remove the monarchy fails, so what? It fails. It's not like 9sublime is talking about fermenting a revolution or anything. If the people want to "scrimp" (nice diction) on those seventy-five million pounds, let 'em. I don't see that restyling their country from the "United Kingdom" to the "United British Republics" or whatever would kill their society's sense of identity.

Exactly!

Remove the monarchy because it no longer serves to foster a common national identity - NOT because it costs the national coffers 75 million pounds.

Capice?

79% of people believe that it has lost touch with society. Thats some way to a popular initiative.

Opinion polls are NOT popular initiatives. If it were, then why not let gallup decide the next president of the us, no?

75,000,000 a year numinus, not to mention the fact they make their own income and are stinking rich to start with. Straight from the pocket of the taxpayer, for what? National identity? I have hundreds of other things I would rather call my national identity.

It's a bargain, if you ask me.

If you are familiar with financial statements, you would notice that goodwill has monetary value. If something as intangible as goodwill is a valid commodity according to generally accepted accounting principles, why not national identity, hmmm?

A bargain? Maybe we can start splashing that sort of money out as soon as every other thing that is funded by the state is running flawlessly.

A bargain? Maybe we can start splashing that sort of money out as soon as every other thing that is funded by the state is running flawlessly.

You are comparing the fiscal activity of an entire nation to your household finances?? It doesn't work that way, you know. National budgets are decided annually - and is itself, an act of legislature. You do not decide things like that as an after-thought.

And a bargain implies an exchange of value. As I suggested, there are intangibles that are ascribed with value - goodwill for instance.

Goodwill with taxypayers money is fine, as long as it does something to help someone who is needy, or is going toward a useful cause. Paying the royal family obscene amounts of money isnt really helping anyone as they are a useless piece of memrobilia of a time gone by, and they are hardly needy.

Goodwill with taxypayers money is fine, as long as it does something to help someone who is needy, or is going toward a useful cause. Paying the royal family obscene amounts of money isnt really helping anyone as they are a useless piece of memrobilia of a time gone by, and they are hardly needy.

It serves a people plenty to have a distinct national identity. How much more do I need to say that before you give yourself leave to understand?

I do not think it is healthy for government to give hand-outs regularly to the 'needy' among its citizens. The christian paternalistic ethic isn't really a valid political or economic system.

Goodwill IS a marketable commodity. The state can very well invest in private corporations whose total assets and owner's equity include goodwill.

The monarchy is the last thing me, and I think I can safely say, the youth, associate themselves with.

Many things actually mean something to my national identity... UK hip hop and drum n bass... british films... the Queen deserves nothing. shes done nothing for her fame. the monarchy could have been abolished before it became a tabloid festival, and it could have retained some respect.

The monarchy is the last thing me, and I think I can safely say, the youth, associate themselves with.

All the more reason to support the institution. You can't claim nationality without appreciating the national paternity from which it derives. Nationality is a basic HUMAN RIGHT in whatever sense you wish to view it.

Many things actually mean something to my national identity... UK hip hop and drum n bass... british films... the Queen deserves nothing. shes done nothing for her fame. the monarchy could have been abolished before it became a tabloid festival, and it could have retained some respect.

You are a profoundly confused individual if you equate hip hop with a national identity.

Unfortunately for you, few people share your sentiments.

Werbung:
All the more reason to support the institution? The words of a true conservative... times change.

Haha you miss my point. I don't associate hip hop with my national identity, but I like it more, admire it more, think it serves more purpose and has more value that the Queen.

Whether or not I agree nationality is a basic human right, I still like to have a nationality, but I don't see the queen as the key to my nationality.

Back