Abstinence-Only Education works

Pandora

Not sure I agree with the ONLY part but I do think it should be a huge part and the first part taught in sex ed.

A New Study Shows Some Kids Responding Well to Abstinence-Only Education
For the first time, researchers say they have clear evidence that abstinence education works and it could change the conversation about young people and sex.

"I think this is a game-changing piece of evidence," says Sarah Brown of the National Campaign to Prevent Teen, Unplanned Pregnancy.

For the study, released Monday in Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, researchers followed sixth and seventh graders in separate groups. In one, the focus was abstinence; in the other, they taught contraception and safe sex.

Two years later, they talked to the kids again.

Scholars Call the Results 'Groundbreaking'
Half the students learning about safe sex were now having sex, while only a third in the group focused on abstinence were engaged in sex.

But there was something else at play here. Researchers say it was how the topic of abstinence was approached.

Bristol Palin recently went on national television and pledging that she would wait until marriage before having sex again.

"It's a realistic goal for myself," she said.

But in this study, the teachers didn't take it that far. They purposely stayed away from religion, morality and marriage. For example, they did not preach waiting for sex until marriage or disparage using condoms.

A Different Approach to an Age-Old Subject
Instead, the study took a less traditional approach, discussing the drawbacks to having sex early, such as unplanned pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. Teachers even made kids list the pros and cons of having sex themselves.

"We began by talking to children and trying to understand their motivations, reasons for engaging in the behaviors from their perspectives," says John Jemmott III, a psychologist at the University of Pennsylvania and the lead author of the study.

"[Researchers] simply said delay," Brown says. "Wait a bit. Sex is serious. It has risks. And we just recommend you wait until you're older."

Traditional abstinence-only education, which emphasizes morality and waiting until marriage, has long been criticized and has lost funding for what many say is a lack of effectiveness.

Not surprisingly, though, abstinence advocacy groups praised this study and said the Obama administration's movement away from abstinence-only education in schools was not the right choice.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/study-abstinence-works/story?id=9731048

Werbung:
Agreed. I believe Rush spoke of this today.

And what do libs say about this? They think it is garbage and believe kids will have sex no matter what like dogs in heat.

Why are they so distorted?

Agreed. I believe Rush spoke of this today.

And what do libs say about this? They think it is garbage and believe kids will have sex no matter what like dogs in heat.

Why are they so distorted?

perhaps because they mated like dogs in heat and assume all kids are as they were ? they are libs because they want what they want whether its right or not.

seems to me that any kids who comprehends STDs that is not abstaining is insane.

perhaps because they mated like dogs in heat and assume all kids are as they were ? they are libs because they want what they want whether its right or not.

seems to me that any kids who comprehends STDs that is not abstaining is insane.

Maybe bill clinton could talk about the dangers of having improper sex , especially in our OvaL Office."Slick" Willie could talk about the harm that can be done not only to the person but the damage caused when a "Blue Stained" Dress appears. The DNA on that dress belonged to our , then. commander-in -chief, now he represents our Nation in HAITI!! And represents the majority in his democrat party.Even Bill could not lie his way out of THAT!!
I dread to think of what is happening to young interns in Haiti!!!
OLE Willie was a firm believer in "do not tell, when I ask!" policy!

Well sure and what is liberalism if not insanity...

Savage said it best with his great book, "Liberalism is a Mental Disorder."

Not sure I agree with the ONLY part but I do think it should be a huge part and the first part taught in sex ed.

A New Study Shows Some Kids Responding Well to Abstinence-Only Education
For the first time, researchers say they have clear evidence that abstinence education works and it could change the conversation about young people and sex.

"I think this is a game-changing piece of evidence," says Sarah Brown of the National Campaign to Prevent Teen, Unplanned Pregnancy.

For the study, released Monday in Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, researchers followed sixth and seventh graders in separate groups. In one, the focus was abstinence; in the other, they taught contraception and safe sex.

Two years later, they talked to the kids again.

Scholars Call the Results 'Groundbreaking'
Half the students learning about safe sex were now having sex, while only a third in the group focused on abstinence were engaged in sex.

But there was something else at play here. Researchers say it was how the topic of abstinence was approached.

Bristol Palin recently went on national television and pledging that she would wait until marriage before having sex again.

"It's a realistic goal for myself," she said.

But in this study, the teachers didn't take it that far. They purposely stayed away from religion, morality and marriage. For example, they did not preach waiting for sex until marriage or disparage using condoms.

A Different Approach to an Age-Old Subject
Instead, the study took a less traditional approach, discussing the drawbacks to having sex early, such as unplanned pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. Teachers even made kids list the pros and cons of having sex themselves.

"We began by talking to children and trying to understand their motivations, reasons for engaging in the behaviors from their perspectives," says John Jemmott III, a psychologist at the University of Pennsylvania and the lead author of the study.

"[Researchers] simply said delay," Brown says. "Wait a bit. Sex is serious. It has risks. And we just recommend you wait until you're older."

Traditional abstinence-only education, which emphasizes morality and waiting until marriage, has long been criticized and has lost funding for what many say is a lack of effectiveness.

Not surprisingly, though, abstinence advocacy groups praised this study and said the Obama administration's movement away from abstinence-only education in schools was not the right choice.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/study-abstinence-works/story?id=9731048

IMO they should teach both abstinence and safe sex. Also the parents need to stay on the ball with this as well and not just drop into the hands of the Schools to decide.

More Dumb Straw man Arguments....No one i know has ever stated that Abstinence should not be part of the teaching....

And note, Quite a few where still out Screwing....Better hope those ones learned Protection from teen friends at some other school or someplace.....Look mom VD! But at least a few kids less ( in one study) had no sex...the rest of us still did and are all spreading it :)

IMO they should teach both abstinence and safe sex. Also the parents need to stay on the ball with this as well and not just drop into the hands of the Schools to decide.

I will agree with you if you change one word.

Safe sex!

There is no such thing as safe sex!!

I went round and round with my sons teacher who insisted on teaching the 6th graders that if you wear a condom you are having safe sex. The use of a condom will make the sex safer than not having used a condom but it does not make the sex safe.

Condoms are only somewhat protective against HIV,Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis and all the others and zero percent effective against crabs and herpies! and that is IF a teen age boy knows how to use them.

So if we can agree that it can make sex safer rather than safe I will agree with you.

More Dumb Straw man Arguments....No one i know has ever stated that Abstinence should not be part of the teaching....

And note, Quite a few where still out Screwing....Better hope those ones learned Protection from teen friends at some other school or someplace.....Look mom VD! But at least a few kids less ( in one study) had no sex...the rest of us still did and are all spreading it :)

Having had a teen age boy in middle school I can tell you that yes there are many who think its just silly to even attempt to teach abstinence. They really think its a waste of time to even bring it up and ask us to accept that they are going to do it and we need to prepare them for it.

I dont understand why that is but that is what I ran into. These same teachers had a zero tolerence policy to drinking, drugs, skipping school, smoking cigarettes and not being politically correct with other children but when it came to sex they had a different standard and accepted that they were just going to do it so give them a condom and tell them its safe.

Having had a teen age boy in middle school I can tell you that yes there are many who think its just silly to even attempt to teach abstinence. They really think its a waste of time to even bring it up and ask us to accept that they are going to do it and we need to prepare them for it.

I dont understand why that is but that is what I ran into. These same teachers had a zero tolerence policy to drinking, drugs, skipping school, smoking cigarettes and not being politically correct with other children but when it came to sex they had a different standard and accepted that they were just going to do it so give them a condom and tell them its safe.

I know someone that went to a school that was Abstanance only...She got prego because she believed her BF when he said he was to big for a condom....Thats the dumb thinking you get from kids hwo don't get all the facts..Sad thins was she still belived he was telling the truth years later

I know someone that went to a school that was Abstanance only...She got prego because she believed her BF when he said he was to big for a condom....Thats the dumb thinking you get from kids hwo don't get all the facts..Sad thins was she still belived he was telling the truth years later

Thats a sad story and that she believed it later is even sadder

but again I am not against teaching teens (with parent consent) about various birth control, I am against calling it safe.

They should be told all the risks.

condoms will not protect you againt herpies and there is no cure for herpies, condoms will not protect you against crabs and may or may not protect you against HIV exc.... but that its far better to use a condom if you are going to have sex than not to use a condom at all.

My mother got pregnant with me on the pill and my dad wore a condom :) so I am living proof neither make for safe sex.

It's funny that you would take this tack in light of the fact that the most conservative part of the country--the South and the Bible Belt--have the highest rates of divorce and children out of wedlock, not to mention the highest rates of domestic violence. Massachusetts and Vermont however, which have been considered bastions of liberalism, have some of the lowest rates of these activities. Hmmm, have you been pulling your ideas out of Gipper's *ss?

Maybe bill clinton could talk about the dangers of having improper sex , especially in our OvaL Office."Slick" Willie could talk about the harm that can be done not only to the person but the damage caused when a "Blue Stained" Dress appears. The DNA on that dress belonged to our , then. commander-in -chief, now he represents our Nation in HAITI!! And represents the majority in his democrat party.Even Bill could not lie his way out of THAT!!
I dread to think of what is happening to young interns in Haiti!!!
OLE Willie was a firm believer in "do not tell, when I ask!" policy!

Well at least Bill isn't toe-tapping in the airport men's room.

I will agree with you if you change one word.

Safe sex!

There is no such thing as safe sex!!

I went round and round with my sons teacher who insisted on teaching the 6th graders that if you wear a condom you are having safe sex. The use of a condom will make the sex safer than not having used a condom but it does not make the sex safe.

Condoms are only somewhat protective against HIV,Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis and all the others and zero percent effective against crabs and herpies! and that is IF a teen age boy knows how to use them.

So if we can agree that it can make sex safer rather than safe I will agree with you.

How about we talk to our kids about Abstinence and Safer Sex then? Like I said parents need to lead the charge on this one. I mean it shouldn't be left to our public and private school systems to just teach them about such subjects.

Werbung:
How about we talk to our kids about Abstinence and Safer Sex then? Like I said parents need to lead the charge on this one. I mean it shouldn't be left to our public and private school systems to just teach them about such subjects.

Oh I did and I do. I did with my son and I do with my daughter

They know all the risks. I send my daughter to school but have to fix half the crud they filled her head with everyday when she comes home. I had to do the same with my son. School is mostly good for learning social skills. Education should be taught at home.

Back