After Brexit, Texas Wants "Texit"

Reddie

According to a CBS article, the UK's vote to leave the EU has reignited talks of secession in Texas.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/from-brexit-to-texit-renewed-calls-for-texas-secession-after-eu-vote/
Texas was an independent country from 1836 to 1845 and breaking away from the U.S. has been an age-old debate there.

Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry is among those who have vaguely flirted with the idea of secession in the past, although a spokeswoman said in 2012 that while Perry "shares the frustrations many Americans have with our federal government," for the former GOP presidential candidate "believes in the greatness of our Union and nothing should be done to change it."
It's obvious it's something Texas never will get, but Texans can still dream.

Werbung:
Texas has wanted to leave for such a long time, and most feel they are separate in any case. The US laws are very different and no state has tried to secede successfully, but Texas still tries.

Is it pride or the federal laws? From what I read they try to get around and ignore the federal laws as much as possible, but what about federal aid? Does Texas have enough money to support itself independently?

Texas has wanted to leave for such a long time, and most feel they are separate in any case. The US laws are very different and no state has tried to secede successfully, but Texas still tries.

Is it pride or the federal laws? From what I read they try to get around and ignore the federal laws as much as possible, but what about federal aid? Does Texas have enough money to support itself independently?
They have the resources and are not land locked. Yes they could handle it.

According to a CBS article, the UK's vote to leave the EU has reignited talks of secession in Texas.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/from-brexit-to-texit-renewed-calls-for-texas-secession-after-eu-vote/

It's obvious it's something Texas never will get, but Texans can still dream.

Your topic title is misleading. This isn't a case of Texas wanting to leave. This is some agitators that want Texas to support leaving. Not the same thing as Texas actually wanting to leave. There are clowns like this in several states. Texas is no different or special in this case.

Your topic title is misleading. This isn't a case of Texas wanting to leave. This is some agitators that want Texas to support leaving. Not the same thing as Texas actually wanting to leave. There are clowns like this in several states. Texas is no different or special in this case.
Texas is different in that they specifically allowed for seperation in their constitution.

Texas is different in that they specifically allowed for seperation in their constitution.

No it doesn't. Texas is technically allowed to split into 5 states if they wanted to...but that is not the same thing as "leaving the union."

That said - the majority in Texas has no interest in leaving.

No it doesn't. Texas is technically allowed to split into 5 states if they wanted to...but that is not the same thing as "leaving the union."

That said - the majority in Texas has no interest in leaving.
That sounds more like it, but splitting into separate states would still be a federal level decision in the end.

I don't think that Texas will ever leave the United States. It is probably what many Texans (and others) wish would happen, but I can't imagine any situation where it would actually happen. I think if the federal government would simply honor our constitution and let Texas enforce it's existing laws, the problem would go away. Texas is different, just like Vermont is different. I thought we wanted diversity.

About the 5 states thing, I'm not sure how a state would draft a constitution that flys in the face of federal law like that. Maybe it just hasn't been challenged in court yet.

About the 5 states thing, I'm not sure how a state would draft a constitution that flys in the face of federal law like that. Maybe it just hasn't been challenged in court yet.

It is not in the State Constitution - it is language that was included in the Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas to the United States that was passed by Congress when Texas became a State.

Werbung:
I already feel like all the states in America pretty much run themselves as if they are already separate countries. They just don't get to govern themselves with the highest authority.

They get to have different laws, you can smoke weed in one state, but get 10 years easy for smoking the same weed in another. What a joke to me. Our states are so separate, anyone should be able to see that.

Back