All time best movies

Rick

That's all time. If your movie knowledge is no earlier than 2000, start a "Last ten years best movies" thread.

Best comedy: "Duck Soup", Marx Brothers, 1933

Best Western movie: "The good, the bad, and the ugly", Clint Eastwood, 1966

Best war movie: "Das Boot", 1981
Honorable mention, war movie: "Zulu", Michael Caine, 1964

Best sci fi movie: "A trip to the moon", 1902, parts 1 and two in entirety below. :D

Werbung:
Early cinema was crap IMO. Movies didnt start to get good until maybe the 70's.

Best Comedy: Life of Brian 1979

Best Western: I dont really like western movies... I would have to pick tombstone 1993.

Best War Movie: Tora Tora Tora 1970

honourable mention The Lost Battalion 2001

Best SciFi: The original planet of the apes 1968

Early cinema was crap IMO. Movies didnt start to get good until maybe the 70's.

Best Comedy: Life of Brian 1979

Best Western: I dont really like western movies... I would have to pick tombstone 1993.

Best War Movie: Tora Tora Tora 1970

honourable mention The Lost Battalion 2001

Best SciFi: The original planet of the apes 1968

Dismissing everything before the 1970s is something not a single legitimate critic of movies would do. Lots of movies after the 1970s are garbage - they try to make up with Gee Whiz special effects for what they lack in plot, acting, and direction.

Dismissing everything before the 1970s is something not a single legitimate critic of movies would do. Lots of movies after the 1970s are garbage - they try to make up with Gee Whiz special effects for what they lack in plot, acting, and direction.

Cinema was in its infancy in much of the 1900's it is only logical that they get better. If you notice I hardly dismiss every thing before the 70's. I picked the original planet of the apes for the best scifi movie which is from the late 60's. The Twilight starting in 1959 was probably one of the best TV series out there. But as a whole early cinema is ****. I am not saying that after 1970's we suddenly stopped producing **** movies but they certainly have gotten a lot better.

Cinema was in its infancy in much of the 1900's it is only logical that they get better. If you notice I hardly dismiss every thing before the 70's. I picked the original planet of the apes for the best scifi movie which is from the late 60's. The Twilight starting in 1959 was probably one of the best TV series out there. But as a whole early cinema is ****. I am not saying that after 1970's we suddenly stopped producing **** movies but they certainly have gotten a lot better.

The stuff turned out in the last ten years is mostly crap. Movies used to be aimed at adults, because before the 1950s there was no TV. Movies nowadays are aimed at retarded 13 year olds, who are impressed by eardrum breaking noise, animation from supercomputers, smashing cars, imbecilic predictable plots, etc. Best year ever in movies: 1939.

The stuff turned out in the last ten years is mostly crap. Movies used to be aimed at adults, because before the 1950s there was no TV. Movies nowadays are aimed at retarded 13 year olds, who are impressed by eardrum breaking noise, animation from supercomputers, smashing cars, imbecilic predictable plots, etc. Best year ever in movies: 1939.

There is a lot of truth to what you say.

My all time best drama - The Shawshank Redemption with Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby tied for second...
Best Comedy - "Dumb and Dumber" (reminds me of DF liberals hahahah)

and agree on the best western, "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" was very good. "Unforgiven" was a good one too.

Mostly, but not all. If you are refering to "Gone with the Wind", it was very much ahead of its time with a believable plot...not all gooie like the 1950's June Allison/Alan Ladd emotional garbage.

Best war movie:Saving Private Ryan. If for nothing else, the scenes of the Omaha Beach invasion that brought alive the horrendous conditions of getting even out of a Higgins boat. No matter how many times a person hears it, the people being shot while still in the boats, jumping over the side and drowning, etc., the film recreation was quite a shock. I wanted to dodge the bullets.

Best Sci-Fi: John Carpenter's The Thing, starring Kurt Russel (Not to be confused with the original, old, "The Thing", in black and white, at the North pole where it was either Pete Graves or James Arness (they are brothers)played the monster.) Good story...not screwed up by the standard insertion and to the detriment of the film, love interest. It was pure Sci-Fi.

Best Western to date: The Unforgiven. Gene Hackman's performance of "Little Bill", just about stole the movie. All the characters were very well developed and believable.

Best made-for-TV miniseries: Band of Brothers with "Piece of Cake, the story of the Hornet Squadren", as second.

Other very good movies: "Breaker Morant", "The Light Horsemen", "Zulu Dawn", "Das Boot".

Savong private ryan had good and bad points. Bad: the title tells you everything about the movie - they're going to save private ryan, and when you see the movie, it's just saving private ryan.

Good: closest to a real combat experience filmed yet - I've read where D-Day veterans said it was like they remember. But like all war movies, they still basically ducked the blood and guts issue.

I think it is far from the best war movie ever made.

Good: closest to a real combat experience filmed yet - I've read where D-Day veterans said it was like they remember. But like all war movies, they still basically ducked the blood and guts issue.
Nevertheless, they put more realistic blood and guts into the movie than any film before it has ever done.
I do not agree that they ducked the blood and guts...frequently showed spray of misted blood with rifle hits and the scene of when the beachhead was finally secured; showed the water had actually turned red. However, until they add smell to a war film, you will not be able to experience the smell of guts mixed with feces, gun smoke, gasoline, scorched flesh, etc., that was integral with that event.

I have been fortunate enough to know several WWII veterans.

Some of them walked out of Private Ryan. They thought the beach landing was very realistic. The problems with the movie in their view, occurred later.

1. The scenes where the platoon was walking in the open French countryside and talking loudly did not happen. Krauts were everywhere and they would have all been quickly killed.

2. The final scenes where the platoon fought a Panzer unit is laughable. American soldiers knew that you do not fight Panzers with small arms. This too did not happen during the war.

Best no thinking required mindless comedy of all time: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, followed closely by Family Vacation.

Best drama: Fatal Attraction.

Most memorable: Deliverance. Just play banjo music, and everyone remembers that one.

As good as "Saving Private Ryan", was there were a number of glaring faults that diminished my enjoyment(as a gun enthusiast and WWII buff), of the film.

1. The sniper changed scopes on his rifle. To my knowledge, snipers only had one scope.
2. The sniper (American with O3-A4), fired more than five shots while he was in the tower, and did not reload.
3. I do not remember them ever putting a new clip in the M1s. With that much firing, there would have been frequent "pings", as the empty clips were ejected, and the soldiers would be stuffing loaded clips into their Garands frequently.
4. The Medic put down his bag and joined in the assault (that got him killed) on the machine gun nest protecting the Radar tower. As far as I know, Medics during WWII were ordered not to handle firearms in combat or participate as a rifleman, still wore white arm bands with red crosses and a white field/red cross on helmets. I do not know for sure about Ranger medics though...it may have been different. It is notable that this was no longer true of Vietnam era medics, they carried and used guns like everyone else and wore no noticeable (by the enemy), emblems that would id them as medics.
5. The Rangers (or any other infantry), would have never crossed open fields (they would have skirted the edges), avoiding being sky lined, nor talked to one another.

Best Comedy: Major League

Best Western: A Fistful of Dollars

Best War Movie: The Longest Day

Best SciFi: Star Trek VIII: First Contact

Nevertheless, they put more realistic blood and guts into the movie than any film before it has ever done.
I do not agree that they ducked the blood and guts...frequently showed spray of misted blood with rifle hits and the scene of when the beachhead was finally secured; showed the water had actually turned red. However, until they add smell to a war film, you will not be able to experience the smell of guts mixed with feces, gun smoke, gasoline, scorched flesh, etc., that was integral with that event.

Not near in the guts respect.

Real: eg someone's eyeball or teeth hitting you from a neraby explosion. I read a real incident about D-Day: A guy on the beach in the early stages saw a long tube of some kind leading up over a small hill of sand near him. Thinking it must be some kind of german booby trap, he carefully followed the tube over the hill, and saw a dead GI with a ripped open stomach. The "tube" was his unraveled small intestine.

Werbung:
Back