America becoming less religious

Popeye

According to a poll, which came out today, the percentage of Americans who define themselves as Christian has dropped from 86% in 1990 to 76% in 2008. In fact 15% percent of Americans (including myself) now say they have no religion at all ...a figure that's almost doubled in 18 years.

This trend can only be good news for Democrats...and bad news for the fundie driven GOP.

http://www.americanreligionsurvey-aris.org/

Werbung:
If polled I would say I have no religion too.... but that does not mean I dont have faith. I am also not a church goer but it doesnt mean I believe in nothing higher than myself.

Polls can seem one thing and be another.

Why would people without faith or religion be a good thing for dems? People without faith seem pretty hopeless to me.... not a group I would want to be a proud member of

If polled I would say I have no religion too.... but that does not mean I dont have faith. I am also not a church goer but it doesnt mean I believe in nothing higher than myself.

Polls can seem one thing and be another.

Why would people without faith or religion be a good thing for dems? People without faith seem pretty hopeless to me.... not a group I would want to be a proud member of

that's because you put your faith on others...I don't have religion or a "faith" I am agnostic...and I am far from without hope for the future.

that's because you put your faith on others...I don't have religion or a "faith" I am agnostic...and I am far from without hope for the future.

How exactly do I put my faith on others? If I can not articulate what I believe how can I put that on you or anyone else?

I come from a family of atheists and agnostics, the are all still atheists and agnostics.....

I could care a less what you believe in and out of religion but I admit I am glad that I am not similar to you in religious or faith matters any more that I am similar to you in political matters. That does make me happy.

How exactly do I put my faith on others? If I can not articulate what I believe how can I put that on you or anyone else?

I come from a family of atheists and agnostics, the are all still atheists and agnostics.....

I could care a less what you believe in and out of religion but I admit I am glad that I am not similar to you in religious or faith matters any more that I am similar to you in political matters. That does make me happy.

my point is that you say you cant understand how someone without faith can have hope, and not be hopeless...because due to your faith in what ever, it clouds your judgement of how someone with out that could still have the same hope. Same as I could not understand how someone with faith would see the same thing...It would be like me saying I dont understand how someone can just belive that god just created evrything and it just happened like that....I cant understand it becuse to understand it I would have to feel that faith...you on the other hand are not able to feel with out faith thus unable to understand what drives people with out faith,

But glad you as so happy that you don't agree with me ..must pain you when I say something you agree with...like US troops should have better health care when they get back and better pay...makes you want to just side against that just to be against me I know it.

my point is that you say you cant understand how someone without faith can have hope, and not be hopeless...because due to your faith in what ever, it clouds your judgement of how someone with out that could still have the same hope. Same as I could not understand how someone with faith would see the same thing...It would be like me saying I dont understand how someone can just belive that god just created evrything and it just happened like that....I cant understand it becuse to understand it I would have to feel that faith...you on the other hand are not able to feel with out faith thus unable to understand what drives people with out faith,

But glad you as so happy that you don't agree with me ..must pain you when I say something you agree with...like US troops should have better health care when they get back and better pay...makes you want to just side against that just to be against me I know it.

If I say I don’t understand how someone who believes in no after life can have hope that is putting my faith on them?......ok Kind of twisted but coming from you its reasonable :confused:

Can you explain to me what people without faith hope for after their death?
I have always assumed to be the better cut of worm food and nothing more.
Maybe that is a hope of sorts? I stand corrected!

Also, you assume I could believe you about the military, but I don’t!

If I say I don’t understand how someone who believes in no after life can have hope that is putting my faith on them?......ok Kind of twisted but coming from you its reasonable :confused:

Can you explain to me what people without faith hope for after their death?
I have always assumed to be the better cut of worm food and nothing more.
Maybe that is a hope of sorts? I stand corrected!

Also, you assume I could believe you about the military, but I don’t!

its quite simple...I don't believe in anything after I die..I concentrate on life now.

But its good to know you dont think the men who serve our nation should get paid better and get better health care.

Hey Pocket,

Are you for amnesty? Just curious. The illegals are a huge issue with the health care - education - law enforcement and jobs.

I don't think by encouraging them to come here with free health clinics is helping the problem, or by passing the SCHIP bill with allows their kids free health care helps either.

Just about everyone in America who claims a religion claims Christianity.

So what that is really saying is that less people are professed Christians in the US. Though it has always been true that most people who go to church are not committed to Christianity.

Two possibilities for Christianity are that it can be large or it can be strong. As it became established in the first century it was very small but it rapidly became very influential.

I suggest that it will be stronger without the uncommitted sitting in the pews.

Werbung:
Hey Pocket,

Are you for amnesty? Just curious. The illegals are a huge issue with the health care - education - law enforcement and jobs.

I don't think by encouraging them to come here with free health clinics is helping the problem, or by passing the SCHIP bill with allows their kids free health care helps either.

well by all means, lets not give americans health care then, so that we dont have to worry about illegals getting it.

How about, no health care for illegals unless life or death? problem solved.

And I would be for amnesty in some cases, due to the basic fact we are not going to deport a million people. I would of course place fines, and not make it easy, and not let anyone with a major criminal past ( speeding, or something does not count) and I would step up enforcement. And no that does not mean a wall..because the wall is a joke, and easy to pass threw ...also most illegals come here legally...and just don't leave. I would go after companies that hire them hard, and work on ways to improve there being able to prove who is legal and who is not.

But like it or not, its not practical, or even close to likey we will send them all back...so lets deal with logical outcomes, not fantasy hopes and dreams.

Back