America Behind in Math and Science

HappyPeaches

Hey everyone! Peachboy here again. Here's my friend ApplePi's newsletter for today. He does one every Monday and Thursday. If you want, e-mail him (apple.pi.pie@gmail.com) asking for the newsletter, and you can receive it directly.

American Students Lacking in Math and Science • 12/11/08

The Gap
The current state of US education in the subjects of math and science is in shambles. Although ahead of most of the world, the US has not been following its traditional path of greatness. Asian nations and students dominate the fields of math, and have been gaining in science. The US lags behind 1 out of every 10 developed nations in the world in these fields. It is time we get our act together.

With Asians dominating math and science, the American students lag behind. Korea, China, and Hong Kong, are all nations that have recently surpassed us on international tests. Although getting better, we are still behind the other nations. We had better start to close the gaps before it becomes to late.

The Gains
As the US slows its progress in math and science, other nations, mostly Asian, are beginning to catch up and some are surpassing. Fifteen years ago, the US was ahead of nations such as Singapore, Taiwan, and Japan in the fields of math and science. Now these countries, and several others, have scored higher than the US on international tests.

Also, within our own country, gaps are being closed. Girls are beginning to close the gender gap. Recent studies show that at fourth grade, the gender gap is barely noticeable and by eighth grade, the gap has disappeared entirely. Hispanic and Africa American students are beginning to close the gap between them and white students, but there is still much progress that needs to be made.

The Problems and Solutions
One of the major problems that we have that is the reason why we are slowing down in math and science is the lack of good teachers. It is a deathly cycle—of the people who are strong in the areas of math and science, only a fraction become teachers, and only a fraction of teachers are really experienced, and all the teachers that aren’t as experienced don’t teach as good, and so students don’t learn as well as they should.

Teachers today don’t seem to be devoted to their work as they should be. For one, they aren’t regarded properly. It is the teachers that accept the students for who they are and who teach them the things that they will need to know to succeed in life. Without teachers, society as we know it would cease to exist. They deserve more respect that what they have now.

Teachers are not the source of the problem, it’s every single American citizen. Did you treat your teachers the way you should have? If you didn’t, shame on you! It is they who got you to where you are in life right now. It is they you gave you your education to help you in the real world, and what kind of thanks did you show them? It is time we start treating teachers how they should, and most definitely deserve, to be treated.

Another major problem is the lack of disregard of these subjects, as well as the seeming lack of interest in school from children. Yes, children will be children, but being children shouldn’t get in the way of their learning. Math and science should be the things that kids are interested in, but the way the majority of teachers are teaching today doesn’t make it seem interesting. The lack of interest in these subject is a major cause of why we lag behind. If the US wishes to close the education gap, we will seriously need to think about changing our teaching methods.

Werbung:
This is a good post - for starters, but it doesn't go nearly far enough.

Problem #1 - Low salary - There is a tremendous demand (when the economy is healthy) for math and science majors who graduate from college. Why would anyone want to go into teaching when they can make a salary of 50% higher to work for a private company? Furthermore, the salary potential in the future is far greater in private companies than in the school system.

Problem #2 - Teaching Degree. I have a Master's Degree in Science, but I cannot teach in a high school or grade school. However, I can teach in a college (and have done so). We all know anyone who gets a bachelor's degree in Teaching is not the cream of the crop. As I recall, going to a teacher's college was the advance education of last resort. So the people who graduate from teacher's college are certainly not going to be strong in math and science.

But I am good in math and science, but I was a terrible teacher. So a teacher needs to be both good in the subject and a good teacher.

Problem #3 - The curriculum is boring and outdated. Anybody who is looking for any zeal in their daily job will not be teaching. Maybe this was okay when only old maid teachers were the ones doing the teaching, but this is the age of technology and a lot of the drudgery work can be done by computers. A professionally produced program to teach geometry (for example) can use the skills of the best and the brightest of teachers, media/graphics experts and computer programmers to explain the basic concepts of a subject, as well as correct tests (really boring).

Using computers as a basic teaching technique will free up teachers to concentrate on students who need help. Why must the same material be taught from a human mouth year after year? Teachers have brains and they should be used for tasks the computer cannot do.

Problem #4 - The wrong teaching techniques - A school environment is often the worst place to teach some subjects. Learning a language is a good example. Six months of concentrated learning, spent in Mexico or Quebec, will teach more Spanish or French than be achieved by in any high school environment. Other liberal arts courses may fall into this category.

I also believe public school should compress its formal teaching time. Four hours in the morning teaching four subjects. The afternoon should be a time to spend in a learning center - that is, a place where student can do homework in a quiet, but disciplined atmosphere. Tutors should be available to either help small groups of students, or answer questions from an individual student. This should be a place where the whole atmosphere is focused on learning - not your typical study hall. Individual students progress at different rates, and 30 kids sitting in a classroom is a recipe for a lot of bored kids who "just don't understand".

I could go on, because I see many faults everywhere in our school system. Local school boards must be encouraged to think "out of the box". Our whole public school system is painfully out of date, and the future of our country is relying on our school systems to produce the best and the brightest in the world.

This is truly funny since you probably bring down the national average all on your own, judging from the nonsense you have posted here so far.

This is truly funny since you probably bring down the national average all on your own, judging from the nonsense you have posted here so far.

Maybe if they add a little "magic" in it would be more to your liking.

You know maybe some religious test for math... something like...

We don't know really what infinity is so ABRA KADABRA... it's a Zillion (under God)!:D

You're saying they actually teach any of that? (For the record, I know of nobody who was taught geology in a public school.) Heck, even history was a joke. Math was a joke (like the HS grads who cannot do basic elementary-school math like multiplying tow 3-digit numbers).

Maybe if they add a little "magic" in it would be more to your liking.

You know maybe some religious test for math... something like...

We don't know really what infinity is so ABRA KADABRA... it's a Zillion (under God)!:D

Is there still any doubt exactly why american students are lagging behind in mathematics?

Fortunately for me, I come from an education system that produce third graders able to solve the solution for systems of linear equations. And the school this particular third grader I have in mind attends is run by jesuits.

This child is infinitely far-removed from the adult who posted the above, who thinks abrakadabra is part and parcel of that solution.

You're saying they actually teach any of that? (For the record, I know of nobody who was taught geology in a public school.) Heck, even history was a joke. Math was a joke (like the HS grads who cannot do basic elementary-school math like multiplying tow 3-digit numbers).

And surely enough, you come up with a post that proves it.

Hobo1 and Happypeaches have already given some good reasons why the US might lag in math and science.

Here's more. From the opening post:

Although ahead of most of the world, the US has not been following its traditional path of greatness.

Although ahead of most of the world, we could do a lot better. That is not the same as saying that we are doing a poor job, but is saying that we need to do better.

With Asians dominating math and science, the American students lag behind.

Interestingly enough, Asian Americans tend to dominate math and science also. Maybe, just maybe, it has something to do with culture, aspirations, family expectations? Maybe that's where we need to start to improve.

And, at the risk of starting another exchange between Dawks and Nummi, a culture that still, after all this time, tries to deny the science of evolution really fails to understand the basics of scientific research.

Is there still any doubt exactly why american students are lagging behind in mathematics?

Fortunately for me, I come from an education system that produce third graders able to solve the solution for systems of linear equations. And the school this particular third grader I have in mind attends is run by jesuits.

This child is infinitely far-removed from the adult who posted the above, who thinks abrakadabra is part and parcel of that solution.

Hey don't get upset!:D I'm just saying when you try and force public schools to teach witchcraft... I mean creationism... as a possible alternative to real science.

Not particularly helpful and very time consuming.

Not to mention it leads to this type of religious zealotry & righteous indignation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtNdYsoool8

Hobo1 and Happypeaches have already given some good reasons why the US might lag in math and science.

Here's more. From the opening post:

Although ahead of most of the world, we could do a lot better. That is not the same as saying that we are doing a poor job, but is saying that we need to do better.

Interestingly enough, Asian Americans tend to dominate math and science also. Maybe, just maybe, it has something to do with culture, aspirations, family expectations? Maybe that's where we need to start to improve.

And, at the risk of starting another exchange between Dawks and Nummi, a culture that still, after all this time, tries to deny the science of evolution really fails to understand the basics of scientific research.

Asians tend to be pragmatic with their religion. It does not necessarily have to hinder learning. They tend to compartmentalize the demands of their society, their religion, their intellect, etc.

Hey don't get upset!:D I'm just saying when you try and force public schools to teach witchcraft... I mean creationism... as a possible alternative to real science.

Why should I be upset. I'm asian. I have a religious primary and secondary education. My tertiary education was in an american-established university.

Like you, we have the principle of separation of church and state embedded in our constitution. Unlike you, we do not consider it unconstitutional or taboo to discuss god, christianity and various philosophies in an academic setting.

Not particularly helpful and very time consuming.

In my opinion, a technical education without concurrent training in ethics and the classics serve only to produce an educated a$$hole.

Not to mention it leads to this type of religious zealotry & righteous indignation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtNdYsoool8

No such thing where I come from. We are very tolerant when it comes to other religions -- and that includes atheists. Heck, the last day of ramadan is as much a national holiday as christmas where I come from.

Maybe, just maybe, religious zealotry is a cultural thing. Ever consider that?

Werbung:
The news isn't surprising, as anyone who shows enthusiasm for math or science is mocked. People assume such students are arrogant, dorky, teacher's pets, and show-offs. Nobody wants to be seen as good at math in order to look cool.

Back