1. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Another long standing attck on the Bill of rights

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by PLC1, Jan 7, 2012.

1. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

and no one seems to mind at all.

Asset forfeiture:

You don't have to be even charged, let alone arraigned or convicted, and they can take your property without paying for it. You can file a claim to try to get it back, but it won't be free, you can bet.

This outrageous abuse of power has been going on for years, and no one seems to mind.

The justification for it is to take the profits out of criminal activity, particularly the sale of drugs, but the kicker is that no one has to even attempt to prove that the property owner is guilty of jaywalking in order to take the property.

Now, somewhere I remember reading about not giving up life, liberty, or property without due process. That must have been in some old, dusty tome that doesn't matter in the modern world.

Walter likes this.
  2. steveox

steveox Well-Known Member

This is why im for killing cops on the street. Cops can rob you they robbed me of $115 citation. Thats why when i hear a deputy or an officer gets shot on the news i cheer! And This guy is an Hero!

3. steveox

steveox Well-Known Member

All because cops can get away with this shit

[​IMG]

4. GenSeneca

GenSeneca Well-Known Member

PLC, such laws seem to only apply to the blue collar worker. Such individuals are not high profile, the do not have the political or public clout necessary to escape the steamroller of government. How many times have we heard about a multi-million dollar pro-baller that gets busted with weed/coke? These are very high profile busts yet such individuals never seem to fall prey to the asset forfeiture laws - despite having much more to lose - and I would posit that enforcing AF laws against such persons would result in massive public uprisings against the laws.

Basically, the government can take everything from a nobody and get away with it, but they know better than to try to take everything away from someone likely to have public support.

5. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

That may be so.

It's time we, the "little people" did begin to pay attention to what they do to us "nobodies". There are a lot more of us than there are of the high profile spoiled rich kids.

6. dogtowner

dogtowner Moderator Staff Member

the laws are austensively aimed as grabbing assets thought to have been bought with ill gotten gains. I guess its debatable as to whether pro sports are ill gotten or not but millionaire drug dealers are similarly wealthy and if cash is the yardstick for somebodyness.....

I'm concerned about how the bar is set on the determination of the ill gotten thing. is any proof required ? how much etc

7. GenSeneca

GenSeneca Well-Known Member

Depends on your definition of the word "proof"...

The Forfeiture Racket

Police and prosecutors won't give up their license to steal.

It's a good article, worth a read if you're interested in learning more about how the law is used/abused.

8. Gipper

Gipper Well-Known Member

That is an excellent article and it clearly proves the tyrannical nature of big government gone wild. It is appalling what the police, prosecutors, and the courts are doing with forfeiture laws. Police and prosecutors benefit from these unlawful takings. It is truly amazing.

My personal experience:
    In the late 90s, one of my tenants in a two family rental house I owned, was chased by the cops back to my house where he was arrested for drug possession. The cops padlocked my house (the lower unit was vacant) and placed bright red stickers on the doors and several windows claiming this was crime scene and that the house was under forfiture because it was a drug house. WTF!!!

I was NEVER notified by the cops or the district court. I happened to drive by the house a few days after the event which was how I found out. I contacted the cops who told me what happened and more or less said tough sh*t...I should have known my tenant was a druggy...Landlords apparently are considered Godlike in that we are supposed to be all knowing....

Long story short, I luckily had a close friend who at the time was a city commissioner. I immediately contacted him and he spoke with the cops and prosecutor and got them to remove the forfeiture. Had I not had this friend, who knows what would have happened.

From the article...