Another oil spill in the gulf?

BigRob

The Coast Guard has confirmed that they are investigating a potentially 100 mile long oil slick about 30 miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico.

The site is the Matterhorn field and the site includes a deepwater platform owned by W&T Technology.

Obviously no need to jump to conclusions here, will have to wait until all the facts come in. Hopefully the report is wrong.

Full story.

Werbung:
Yes, let's hope this one is a false alarm.

I thought there was a moratorium on deep water drilling.:confused:

The moratorium is officially over, the argument is that there is a defacto moratorium in place because new permits are not really being issued.

However, for rigs already in place that met the guidelines, they are able to resume operations, as I understand it at least. (if I am wrong please correct me)

That said, there are a lot of natural leaks in the Gulf, and we need to know more information about this before really making any conclusions.

Update: The Coast Guard has reported that the oil is not coming from the Deepwater Horizon site, and have confirmed that there appears to be smaller oil slicks in the Gulf.

No word yet on a large slick being found.

its clear we need to build more nuclear reactors in the deep water then!

I really hope there is no oil spill, or at least that its a very very small one they can deal with fast...I am not sure the gulf coast can take much more disasters.

NO MORE NUCLEAR REACTORS!! Didnt anyone learn from Japan? Build Coal plants instead. You cant get radiation from coal

NO MORE NUCLEAR REACTORS!! Didnt anyone learn from Japan? Build Coal plants instead. You cant get radiation from coal

Steve, your argument amounts to basically this:

"Didn't anyone learn from the Titanic! Stop building ships!"

The last oil spill taught us that oil in the gulf is a natural part of the ecosystem there and that oil eating germs consume the oil pretty fast.

Now if a spill is large enough to wash up on shore that is a different matter.

The last oil spill taught us that oil in the gulf is a natural part of the ecosystem there and that oil eating germs consume the oil pretty fast.

Now if a spill is large enough to wash up on shore that is a different matter.

Yes, it was a different matter, wasn't it?

The lesson is not to stop oil exploration, but to not repeat the mistakes made by BP.

Yes, it was a different matter, wasn't it?

The lesson is not to stop oil exploration, but to not repeat the mistakes made by BP.

And, the mistakes by our government, which completely failed in their oversight role of off shore rigs.

Don't lay all the blame on BP. The Feds are responsible as well.

And, the mistakes by our government, which completely failed in their oversight role of off shore rigs.

Don't lay all the blame on BP. The Feds are responsible as well.

Its funny when Republicans start crying that there was not enough government oversight over oil....only after the company screws up....before that they push to defund the oversight and limited it.

Werbung:
Its funny when Republicans start crying that there was not enough government oversight over oil....only after the company screws up....before that they push to defund the oversight and limited it.

You consistently miss the point.

Our out-sized and most expensive, but very ineffective government, has taken upon itself to regulate all industries and it heavily regulates offshore oil rigs. Of course, government being government it can't get the job done. And yet, lefties want more government. Ugh!!!!

I would never advocate for MORE government. I leave that to people like you. We have way too much government now. If only we could figure out a way to make it more effective. One way would be to appropriately assign blame for disasters such as this to the government and fire all those responsible.

Please refer to this column which I posted for YOUR pleasure some time ago.

The Spill, The Scandal and the President
The inside story of how Obama failed to crack down on the corruption of the Bush years – and let the world's most dangerous oil company get away with murder

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...RS_show_page=0

https://www.houseofpolitics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11250&highlight=rolling+stone

Back