1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Any foreign language speakers?

Discussion in 'House of Politics Lounge' started by Martyr, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Martyr

Martyr Member

Trying to learn Japanese but sometimes it's hard to find time or motivation to study now that I'm outside of the classroom. :(

2. vicki2

vicki2 New Member

I spent a bit of time in Japan and really tried to learn some of the language, but I don't have a good ear for picking languages up. I studied French and German at university and can read and write well enough in those, but can't speak them at all!!!

My ear really didn't pick much up after months in Japan either.

3. palefrost

palefrost New Member

My brothers girl friend is Japanese if you need a hand on how to get started ask away and ill talk to her. She was actually looking into translation work over the net. :)

4. Brandon

Brandon New Member

I actually have an interest in learning Japanese. I plan on taking some classes soon. I just hope I dont have one of those foreign language blocks some people get.

5. Martyr

Martyr Member

¥300 cigarettes. [​IMG] Pachinko too.

I wish I could live there. That way I can see family and have plenty of incentive to keep learning.
    Thanks but I've got 5 years of high school classes under my belt. Though I only gave a **** for the last year and a half of them, I have a firm grasp on the fundamentals. My mother's a native speaker so I can ask her for help if I need it too.

6. palefrost

palefrost New Member

Well if you need any help im sure she would give you pointers or what have you..shes sweet as pie! :)

7. Jim

Jim New Member

I spent about seven years studying French, but I don't have enough verbal practice or vocabulary to consider myself fluent. I know a bit of Spanish from reading signs on the subway and working with people who don't speak English. I'm generally pretty good at deciphering written matter in either of the two languages, and I try to eavesdrop a little on Spanish-speaking people so I can pick up an ear for it. I never seem to run into French speakers.

8. Martyr

Martyr Member

English is sometimes called the language of business, and I know that in Japan it's a required course to take in school. I wonder if anything like that will happen here.

9. palefrost

palefrost New Member

It should!! Its horrible that we only speak one language and bitch about Spanish being used.

10. Martyr

Martyr Member

I only bitch about Spanish being used if those speaking it can't speak English. But I agree, it does suck that the majority of us speak one language.

11. Word2Action

Word2Action New Member

I speak both English and Spanish fluently. :banana:

12. OneofaKind

OneofaKind New Member

I started learning Japanese at one point myself, but unfortunately Id didnt get very far

13. Martyr

Martyr Member

Haha, let's go room in Japan! :D