Are you a e-annoyance??

palefrost

Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime. !!!
Signed into effect http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/01/20060105-3.html

President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity. This ridiculous prohibition, which would likely imperil much of Usenet, is buried in the so-called Violence against woman and department of justice re authorization. Criminal penalties include stiff fines and two years in prison!!

Buried deep in the new law is Sec. 113, an innocuously titled bit called "Preventing Cyberstalking." It rewrites existing telephone harassment law to prohibit anyone from using the Internet "without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy."

why should merely annoying someone be illegal?
Who decides what's annoying?

Our esteemed politicians can't seem to grasp this point, but the First Amendment protects our right to write something that annoys someone else.:mad:

Werbung:
It is not within the government's power to prevent "annoyance" online or anywhere. Harassment is one thing, but annoyance is just speech that someone finds mildly objectionable. The First Amendment definitely protects such speech, just as it protects very objectionable speech.

My question is also how does someone deem what is annoying? I find folks who eat potato chips loudly annoying...can I press charges? :banana:

If only you could. I would love to press charges against the bastards constantly yelling into their cell phone.

this is frighteningly absurd. i know he's not the source of all the problems we're facing, but i'm going to be really glad when Bush is finally out of office.

I think I understand the reasons for the attempted bill (stalking, spam), but he's going about it the wrong way. Then again, I'm not sure there even is a good way to handle it.

I agree cap, We should hold people accountable for slander and creating false personas online but this is alittle overboard.

This is yet another way that the Bush gang hopes to control everyone. Remember that this is the same guy who has people arrested when they protest where he is speaking.

kokotai said:
This is yet another way that the Bush gang hopes to control everyone. Remember that this is the same guy who has people arrested when they protest where he is speaking.

Just when I thought that I've heard it all. I think i'm going to throw a party in 2008 when Bush is officially out of the white house. I cannot stand this man for the life of me.

Werbung:
Guys guys guys, go look up the US Constitution. Now read the laws on acts of terror. The amended sections.

Back