Arson suspected in Alaskan church fire

Bunz

According to the authorities, in the late evening on Friday night, fire crews responded to Wasilla Bible Church. The fire resulted in about a million dollars worth of damage. The building is salvagable, and it is a big kudos to the volunteer fire departments who responded.

Why is this signifigant? This is the church Alaska Governor Sarah Palin and her family are members of.

This was the statement released from the Palinistas.
Palin's office issued this statement today:

"Gov. Palin stopped by the church this morning, and she told an assistant pastor that she apologizes if the incident is in any way connected to the undeserved negative attention the church has received since she became a vice presidential candidate on Aug. 29. Whatever the motives of the arsonist, the governor has faith in the scriptural passage that what was intended for evil will in some way be used for good."

Here is the link to the local article. They are releasing few details at this point, because a criminal investigation is under way.
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/matsu/story/621988.html

Personally, while I disagree with Palin on some key issues, this is a tragic event to say the least, and I condemn it in the strongest words and thoughts possible. I am sure they will catch the idiot who did it, and they will probably go to prison for 5 counts of attempted murder, as the building was occupied at the time.

If you would like to comment, please be respectful. Nobody deserved to have thier church burned in this manner.

Werbung:
Update: well kinda....
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/matsu/story/623348.html
From one of the papers Palin no doubt reads but couldnt mention with Couric.
CLEANUP: Members are upbeat; Todd Palin, children attend services.

Daily News staff and wire reports

Published: December 14th, 2008 09:51 PM
Last Modified: December 14th, 2008 12:02 AM

WASILLA -- Members of Gov. Sarah Palin's church gathered in high spirits at a middle school Sunday, two days after their building was badly damaged by a fire authorities are investigating as arson.
Palin, the former Republican vice presidential candidate, did not attend services Sunday because she was in Juneau preparing for today's unveiling of her proposed state budget for next year, said her spokesman, Bill McAllister.

But Palin's husband, Todd, and their children did attend the Sunday service, said state Rep. Wes Keller, a Wasilla Republican and an elder at Wasilla Bible Church.

The congregation realizes the church is more than the building, said John Doak, associate pastor.

"The definition of the church is the body of Christ, made up of God's people," Doak said after the hourlong service that drew about 1,200 people to Wasilla Middle School. "The church is still there. We are the church."

Damage to the 2½-year-old building is estimated at $1 million.

The Friday night blaze was near the main entrance, which is at the rear of the building situated off the Parks Highway on the west end of Wasilla. A small group, including two children, was inside at the time but all escaped unharmed, firefighters said.

Central Mat-Su Fire Department Chief James Steele said Saturday the blaze was suspicious and is being investigated as a possible case of arson.

A task force involving the state fire marshal's office, the local fire and police departments and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are investigating. Steele and the fire marshal could not be reached Sunday for comment.

Patsy Inks said the news initially shocked and frustrated her. But by Sunday, she was feeling blessed, she said at the school, where worshippers lingered over a potluck dinner for a church family leaving Alaska.

"This tragedy has brought us all together," Inks said, her eyes tearing up.

Gov. Palin stopped by Saturday to see the fire-damaged church. Her spokesman issued a statement saying Palin told an assistant pastor she was sorry if the fire was connected to the "undeserved negative attention" the church received after she became the vice presidential candidate on Aug. 29.

ADVERTISEMENT

Worshippers acknowledged the possible Palin connection with the fire, but more in a "gee, maybe" sort of way, said Rob Tracy, who shuttled people to the school for services. But people are speculating about other motives.

"It's just as likely to be some troubled person who has a beef with God," Tracy said.

"Or some local punks," Doak said.

After Palin was named John McCain's running mate, the evangelical church was the subject of intense scrutiny. Early in her campaign, Palin's church was criticized for promoting in a Sunday bulletin a Focus on the Family "Love Won Out Conference" in Anchorage.

The conference promised to "help men and women dissatisfied with living homosexually understand that same-sex attractions can be overcome."

Keller said Sunday's service at the middle school "was standing room only."

Like other church members, he said he's at a loss as to what might have motivated someone to set the fire.

"It could be anything from somebody angry for reasons that have nothing to do with the church, or like what Gov. Palin suggested -- the political aspect," he said.

Lots of church members were stunned the church would even burn, Keller said. "It's all metal and Sheetrock," he said.

The good news is that most of the church, including the multipurpose gym that serves as a sanctuary, was not damaged, Keller said.

And the building is insured, he said.

While a damaged area of mostly offices remains a crime scene, church members are hoping to have the rest of the building cleaned up and declared safe so activity can resume in the church early next year, Keller said.

Volunteers probably prevented even more costly damage by showing up soon after the fire to board up broken windows and restore heat, he said.

A cleanup with the help of contractor Servicemaster already was under way over the weekend.

even when posting about her church being on fire you have to give a dig at her?

dang man

Oh please, I bet Piper could have answered that question. Its hardly a dig, and I wonder what you would have to say about it if the tables were turned.

The fact is that the Anchorage Daily News is the most widely read paper in the state. I know she reads it. As for why she couldnt mention that, youd have to ask her, I dont have a logical explantion except maybe she didnt want to admit to reading that horrible liberal news rag down in the big city of Anchorage, the ADN, who overall have been very good to Sarah in thier reporting.

This is the latest article from today. No doubt there will be a story tomorrow as well. I am actually fairly surprised the national media hasnt caught onto this.
It appears some sort of accelerant was used in several different locations, and focused on the entrances. So whatever A-hole did this is probably looking at half a dozen counts of attempted murder and possibly hate crime indictments. Its just a matter of time before they catch that person.
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/623876.html

Not pursuing "hate crimes" for Palin church attackers

Hate crimes are not to be pursued, just the fullest extent of the law -- that way all crimes are just crimes and it is not a matter of thought control.

http://publicadvocateusa.org/news/article.php?article=4185

Here are some videos of some gays assaulting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTuqXiHzZtk&feature=channel_page

this one they attack the grandmother and destroy the cross http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD1AITHS2Wc

Here is a video of people agreeing with marriage in Florida where the radical homosexuals lost their attack on marriage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28EEU2GhuU

I dont think targeting things christian can be considered hate crimes. Christianity is not considered a minority group.

Another thought-control advocate that just does not get it -- if you read the article:

"In a letter to authorities in Alaska, Delgaudio also encouraged prosecutors not to seek hate crimes charges, if the arsonist or arsonists were motivated by hatred of Christians. "Whomever set the fire, for whatever reason, should receive the toughest and longest sentence possible for arson and attempted murder under Alaskan law," said Delgaudio, "But we do not condone the politicalization of crime in any case, including this one." emphasis added http://publicadvocateusa.org/news/article.php?article=4185

meaning that there is NO SUCH THING as a "hate crime" which is just thought control

for instance, this assault in this video, the assault of the homosexuals against a lone grandmother is assault, no need for thought control even though we know the radical gays here are being full of hate -- law judges the act, not thought control
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD1AITHS2Wc

Another thought-control advocate that just does not get it --

Umm... I am no advocate of hate crime laws. I think they are dangerous and stupid.

If a man throws a brick in a white mans window it should be treated just the same as if a man throws a brick in a black mans window, or a homosexuals window.

I do not think christians are in the list for hate crime. If I believed in hate crime laws I would say christians should be included but they dont seem to be. but since I am against it totally I dont care that they are not, I just wish it did not exist in the first place.

This is the latest article from today. No doubt there will be a story tomorrow as well. I am actually fairly surprised the national media hasnt caught onto this.
It appears some sort of accelerant was used in several different locations, and focused on the entrances. So whatever A-hole did this is probably looking at half a dozen counts of attempted murder and possibly hate crime indictments. Its just a matter of time before they catch that person.
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/623876.html
I just saw it on the nat news last night. I cant say I am shocked, but I hope they catch who ever did it.

Iseeme, and others concerned about hate crimes, I think that is to early to be determined as of yet among those of us without any inside knowledge into the investigation. But I am confident that the person(s) responsible will be held to pay to the highest extent of the law that is allowed under such circumstances.

Keep in mind, this is not only Palin's church but several other prominent politicians and thier families attend the church as well.

umm I belive there was quite a few people going after Obama in a thread about his Grandmother dieing....I think you may have been one of them?

what are you talking about? Going after obama about his grandmother dying?

first off, i dont know of anyone who "went after your freaking messiah" because his grandmother died, that would be pretty stupid, are you saying people thought he offed his grandmother?

and what does that have to do with hate crime laws?

Werbung:
Iseeme, and others concerned about hate crimes, I think that is to early to be determined as of yet among those of us without any inside knowledge into the investigation. But I am confident that the person(s) responsible will be held to pay to the highest extent of the law that is allowed under such circumstances.

Keep in mind, this is not only Palin's church but several other prominent politicians and thier families attend the church as well.

I am not concerned about it, i really dont care. Palin is going to have to get used to this sort of treatment.

Back