As the dust settles.....

Frolicking Dinosaurs

How can we begin to rebuild a unified America from the three distinct groups that emerged during this campaign cycle - the neo-cons, the true conservatives and the moderate-to-liberal left? Discuss.

Werbung:
by chance did you pray for unity in the last 8 years? I didnt but I also knew it had no prayer, this is no differnt.

I hope you don't get to discouraged when people don't unify :(
Yes, I did pray for unity - realizing that it wasn't likely at first, but fervently prayed after the 2006 upset. That would have been the ideal time for the right to begin reaching toward the left instead of decrying the losses. It would have also been the ideal time for moderate democrats to have begun reaching toward moderate Republicans. Both happened to a limited degree, but not to the extent to prevent what has now occurred - a mandate against the neo-con policies.

I am one of many who will always pray for unity for our Nation. Not because I believe obama was a good choice, but because I believe in "we the people", more than I believe in Government!!!

Cheer up Dino. There will be more feeling this way once the sting goes away.

Keep in mind, this doesn't mean I am not going to take full advantage of pointing out when obama and the Dems put OUR NATION in harms way with laws that harm business, large and small or by spending like we have money!!

Yes, I did pray for unity - realizing that it wasn't likely at first, but fervently prayed after the 2006 upset. That would have been the ideal time for the right to begin reaching toward the left instead of decrying the losses. It would have also been the ideal time for moderate democrats to have begun reaching toward moderate Republicans. Both happened to a limited degree, but not to the extent to prevent what has now occurred - a mandate against the neo-con policies.

Did you notice that all the moderate repubilcans were voted out last night. Repubilcans have been very stupid in listening to the left and thinking they have to compromise and be more like them, they did it with a presidential candidate also. I think hopefully they will learn in the next 4 years that being more like a democrat is not the way, its been tried and it failed, going back to what it really means to be a conservative is the right way.

I personally will stay a conservative to my death.

How can we begin to rebuild a unified America from the three distinct groups that emerged during this campaign cycle - the neo-cons, the true conservatives and the moderate-to-liberal left? Discuss.

You want to build a unified america based on three groups, two of which (not the conservatives) are figments of the obamabot imagination? :D The twilight zone feeling after the acession of the Annointed One is getting stronger. :rolleyes:

Did you notice that all the moderate repubilcans were voted out last night. Repubilcans have been very stupid in listening to the left and thinking they have to compromise and be more like them, they did it with a presidential candidate also. I think hopefully they will learn in the next 4 years that being more like a democrat is not the way, its been tried and it failed, going back to what it really means to be a conservative is the right way.

I personally will stay a conservative to my death.
Which moderate Reps got voted out? Most I saw were pretty far right.

I know Lamar Alexander-R stayed in my state and he's pretty moderate (and I voted for him - good senator). Liz Dole lost her seat, but I believe that had more to do with using the Rovian tactic in the information age than her political stance. (Really not smart to attempt a smear campaign while the Prez candidate is demonstrating daily how to deal with a smear campaign successfully)

I know Lamar Alexander-R stayed in my state and he's pretty moderate (and I voted for him - good senator). Liz Dole lost her seat, but I believe that had more to do with using the Rovian tactic in the information age than her political stance. (Really not smart to attempt a smear campaign while the Prez candidate is demonstrating daily how to deal with a smear campaign successfully)

what names do you have?

I am trying to get a list going, two of them i am not sure of yet because its so close

smith in oregon the liberal republican not even moderate, and coleman in minn

but also to close to call just yet. there were others I was keeping track last night but lost my list in my pile of notes :(

You from TN frolicking? I went to undergrad at Rhodes there in Memphis, and actually worked for the Senator for awhile.

You from TN frolicking? I went to undergrad at Rhodes there in Memphis, and actually worked for the Senator for awhile.
Yes, I live east of Knoxville -- out toward the Smoky Mountains.

No Obamanation, here is the list:
AK Stevens-R vrs Begich-D -- still undecided I think?
CO Schaffer-R vrs M. Udall-D - Udall one (R-incumbent senator retired)
GA - Chambliss-R vrs Martin-D -- still undecided I think?
NC - Dole-R vrs Hagan-D -- Hagen won
KY - McConnell-R vrs Lunsford-D -- McConnell kept his seat
LA - Kennedy-R vrs Landrieu-D -- Landrieu kept her seat
ME - Collins-R vrs Allen-D -- Collins kept her seat
MN - Coleman-R vrs Franklin-D -- still undecided I think? (Coleman is incumbent)
MS - Wicker-R vrs Musgrove-D -- Wicker kept his seat
NE - Johanns-R vrs Kleeb-D -- Johanns won (GOP Hagel retired)
NH - Sununu-R vrs Sheehan-D -- Sheehan won Sununu's seat
NJ - Zimmer-R vrs Lautenberg-D -- Lautenberg kept his seat
NM - Pearce-R vrs T. Udall-D -- Udall won seat of Domenici-R retired
OR - Smith-R vrs Merkley-D -- still undecided I think? (Smith is incumbent)
VA - Gilmore-R vrs M. Warner-D -- Warner won seat of retiring J. Warner-R

Yes, I live east of Knoxville -- out toward the Smoky Mountains.

No Obamanation, here is the list:
AK Stevens-R vrs Begich-D -- still undecided I think?
CO Schaffer-R vrs M. Udall-D - Udall one (R-incumbent senator retired)
GA - Chambliss-R vrs Martin-D -- still undecided I think?
NC - Dole-R vrs Hagan-D -- Hagen won
KY - McConnell-R vrs Lunsford-D -- McConnell kept his seat
LA - Kennedy-R vrs Landrieu-D -- Landrieu kept her seat
ME - Collins-R vrs Allen-D -- Collins kept her seat
MN - Coleman-R vrs Franklin-D -- still undecided I think? (Coleman is incumbent)
MS - Wicker-R vrs Musgrove-D -- Wicker kept his seat
NE - Johanns-R vrs Kleeb-D -- Johanns won (GOP Hagel retired)
NH - Sununu-R vrs Sheehan-D -- Sheehan won Sununu's seat
NJ - Zimmer-R vrs Lautenberg-D -- Lautenberg kept his seat
NM - Pearce-R vrs T. Udall-D -- Udall won seat of Domenici-R retired
OR - Smith-R vrs Merkley-D -- still undecided I think? (Smith is incumbent)
VA - Gilmore-R vrs M. Warner-D -- Warner won seat of retiring J. Warner-R

Thank you for the list, did you get it from a website? were there house names on that list?

here is what I have so far
http://www.senateguru.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=132
Senator Susan Collins talks mod but votes conservative. won

Dole moderate lost

Coleman moderate probably lost if not close

Smith moderate probably lost if not close

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=400432
Wicker is a far-right Republican won

Nebraska Senate: Mike Johanns (R) first mod to win over conservative WOW

NH - Sununu-R more conservative than moderate

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...102700490.html?sid=ST2008102700490&s_pos=list
VA - Gilmore-R moderate, lost

except one case the moderate lost when run against a dem

conservatives did better

republicans need to figure out that they cant keep watering themself down and be what they used to be IMO

again thank you,

you are so nice

what names do you have?

I am trying to get a list going, two of them i am not sure of yet because its so close

smith in oregon the liberal republican not even moderate, and coleman in minn

but also to close to call just yet. there were others I was keeping track last night but lost my list in my pile of notes :(

States are latest updates at NPR website

Senate: 4 too close to calls

GEORGIA - Chamblis (R) 49% Martin (D) 46% - By GA law, this margin requires a run-off, which is scheduled for December
MINNESOTA - Coleman (R) 42% Franken (D) 42% - Shows edge out by Coleman, contested by Franken, manual recount TBD
OREGON - Merkley (D) 47% Smith (R) 47% Shows edge to Merkley with two counties still counting
ALASKA - Stevens (R) 48% Begich (D) 46% Actually about a 1.5% (4000 count) edge to Stevens, with another 49000 absentee and early ballots to be counted, and "thousands of questioned ballots."

All four are GOP incumbents.

Of the five seats "lost" by the GOP, three were unsuccessful bids by Republicans to fill the seats of retiring Republican Senators. The losers were Shaffer in CO, Pearce in NM & Gilmore in VA. The other two, Dole of NC & Sununu of NH were both ranked in the Conservative to Moderate Conservative range by American Conservative Union.

So two of the five were incumbents.

In the House (again info from NPR and American Conservative Union):

Republicans lost 19 seats. Many were by incredibly small margins, but still losses. Conflicting reports, but it looks like there are still 3-4 races in a too close to call category. It is unclear whether those are included in the 19, or in addition to. Most of the incumbents losing were rated Very Conservative, Conservative or Moderate Conservative. Two were so far down on the Conservative scale they would definitely qualify as RINO's.

There hasn't been much on this, but there were also four Democrats unseated: Mahoney of FL, Cazayoux of LA, Boyda of KS & Lampson of TX.

All in all, it could have been a lot worse with the Bush-Derangement-Syndrome running rampant these days. I can't speak for the other seats, but one of the seats lost in MI was mine, Walberg. The DNC poured money into the race, while the RNC was reducing support. Walberg was also trying to counter ads that were patently false.

Werbung:
Back