Auto Bailouts - Proof it's not working

I hesitate to jump into the middle of a playground riot with participants who cannot see beyond their team mascot, but you kids seem really attached to your donkeys and elephants and nobody wants to doubt that an elephant can suck a donkey up through his long nose but then the donkey can kick the snot out of the elephant's sinus... perhaps everyone needs a timeout.
In case you haven't noticed, the two parties are kinda like Coke and Pepsi. We are arguing about which one tastes better, when only someone addicted to the toxic waste in the can would be able to tell the difference. To a healthy individual, the difference is relatively unimportant. The effect of ingesting the poison is more important than the secret formula.
The present state of the economy, at least where I live, is bleak and I see no "good signs" of any upturn. I'll stick my optimistically realist neck out and say we've got at least another year of down. Some of you haven't experienced what some of us have; this marks the third year of economic slaughter in my industry with no sign of improvement. So what?
Little King Georgie didn't cause this any more than the Dalai Obama can solve it. The greatest problem we face is in our Congress! We are not being represented by either party. We are not being honestly and fairly represented by those who have sworn an oath to defend our Constitution. Beware! Bush was not a true conservative and Obama is not a true liberal. They and their constituents in government are true politicians, and as such, pose a grave threat to the security of our liberty.
We do not need politicians. We only need representatives. There are very few in government who represent the people. Why? Because political parties ultimately foster a self-preserving interest. BUT NOTICE- whenever there is a "bipartisan" policy adopted, we the people usually get killed in the deal. As long as they can filibuster and frustrate each other, we are usually safe from their manic spending habits. But when they start coming together in a united cause against a bogey man, look-out.
Get real, boys! Stop fighting over who tastes better or is less fillling. You need anti-oxidants, or maybe even some prune juice or castor oil.
I do love you guys,
JtheR

P.S. I believe Thomas Jefferson said, "When the people are afraid of the government, that is tyranny. When the government is afraid of the people, that is liberty."
Won't you please stop being proud of your elephants and donkeys and be very afraid with me? I'm thinking maybe we need a new mascot, like a sheep or a bunny rabbit; something the folks we select to govern us will learn to be vewy afwaid of...

Werbung:
TopGun wrote -

Strangely these numbers are redone a month later to show they were underestimates,
but there were over 600,000 jobless claims each month in January, Feb, March.
20K is quite small, statistically speaking. Ie. maybe just an abberation

But 20K is not correct either.
Here are the facts:

Initial jobless claims decreased by 14,000 to a less-than- forecast 631,000 in the week that ended April 25, from a revised 645,000 the prior week, Labor Department figures showed today in Washington. The number of people staying on jobless benefit rolls increased by 133,000 to 6.27 million, the 13th straight week the figure has set a record.

Now the bottom line is April will accumulate > 600K jobless claims for the month.

This is a bad trend and not positive in any way, no matter how they spin it.
14K != 20K

Next case please!

Even if it were true, it's a ridiculous claim. "oooooo 20,000 fewer... in a week!"

:eek: One week of fewer claims! We're saved! Sing the praises of Obama! It's all good now! One week! A single solitary week! Hallelujah!

http://current.com/items/88854218_the-democratic-messiah.htm

Only democrats can take a look at declining economic news, and proclaim things are improving.
Lemme guess.....Dems should show a little-more "compassion" towards The Greedy, right?

:rolleyes:
"The White House is targeting companies that use loopholes in the law that allow them to legally avoid paying billion$ in taxes. It also focuses on wealthy individuals who break the law by creating hidden overseas accounts."​

Obama's doing what he was hired to do!

TopGun wrote -

Strangely these numbers are redone a month later to show they were underestimates,
but there were over 600,000 jobless claims each month in January, Feb, March.
20K is quite small, statistically speaking. Ie. maybe just an abberation

But 20K is not correct either.
Here are the facts:

Initial jobless claims decreased by 14,000 to a less-than- forecast 631,000 in the week that ended April 25, from a revised 645,000 the prior week, Labor Department figures showed today in Washington. The number of people staying on jobless benefit rolls increased by 133,000 to 6.27 million, the 13th straight week the figure has set a record.

Now the bottom line is April will accumulate > 600K jobless claims for the month.

This is a bad trend and not positive in any way, no matter how they spin it.
14K != 20K

Next case please!

The point being made is that we are starting to see a bottoming out of some of the previous Bush bad economic indicators. President Obama said repeatedly when he first walked in to the Oval Office that things would get somewhat worse before they got better.

And this makes perfect sense for anybody that's ever inherited a business trending down and had to turn it around as I did with my second body shop.

You adjust and make changes so that a future turnaround can occur. This does not happen in 100 days... come on be at least semi-serious here.

Another thing I just saw last night was Warren Buffet now saying of the Obama to turn around the Bush Recession... quote: The government is doing the right things.

Like I've said all along middle of 2010 that's going to be when our economy looks a lot more like it did before the Bush downturn.

Warren Buffett says government is doing the right things to rescue economy Josh Funk, Associated Press
05/02/2009

OMAHA, Neb. — Billionaire Warren Buffett spent Saturday praising the decisions U.S. officials made to right the economy in the midst of a "financial hurricane" and defending the ones he made to help his company navigate the storm.

The state of the economy and Berkshire Hathaway's recent performance were among the first things addressed at the shareholders' meeting. Roughly 35,000 people packed an arena and overflow rooms to listen to Buffett and Berkshire Vice Chairman Charlie Munger answer questions for more than five hours.

"Overall, I commend the actions that were taken," Buffett said. But he said no one should expect perfection because the economy experienced a "financial hurricane."

But Buffett said he can't predict how quickly the economy and the markets will improve. He said in the fall that the U.S. was facing an "economic Pearl Harbor."

That would be the "Bush" economic Pearl Harbor!

Even if it were true, it's a ridiculous claim. "oooooo 20,000 fewer... in a week!"

:eek: One week of fewer claims! We're saved! Sing the praises of Obama! It's all good now! One week! A single solitary week! Hallelujah!

http://current.com/items/88854218_the-democratic-messiah.htm

No one is saying anything like that Andy.

What's being said is we are looking for any encouraging signs and rooting for the USA. That's our team and we know just standing on the sidelines with our hands in our pockets while the Bush Recession morphed into the Bush Depression was not an option.

Stop rooting against the US for a minute and you'll see there are some things that were all bad that are now mixed. That there is a bottoming out and/or very noticeable slowing of decline. Give it a minute... it's only been 100 days not a year or two.

It's kind of funny to me that George and his cronies have been flushing the country down the crapper for 8 years and you expect Obama to be able to fix it in 100 days. Two thousand, nine hundred, twenty days of unbridled greed and destruction under the Bush regime and you're whining because it didn't all get fixed in Obama's first one hundred days. No one could rationally expect that kind of instant gratification fix unless they only had two brain cells--and one of them wasn't firing.
.....what would be considered a standard-requirement for a Dittomania-diagnosis.​

If you have ever said: "I know what I know--DON'T confuse me with the
facts
!!"

Werbung:
We do not need politicians. We only need representatives. There are very few in government who represent the people. Why? Because political parties ultimately foster a self-preserving interest. BUT NOTICE- whenever there is a "bipartisan" policy adopted, we the people usually get killed in the deal. As long as they can filibuster and frustrate each other, we are usually safe from their manic spending habits. But when they start coming together in a united cause against a bogey man, look-out.
....At least, that's what "They say.....", right?

:rolleyes:

"Suddenly, it seems everyone in Washington is singing the virtues of retiring the national debthttp://www.businessweek.com/1999/99_32/b3641059.htm. For two decades, as deficits mounted, it was a nonissue. But the prospect of surpluses has economists and policymakers thinking the unthinkable: erasing the $3.8 trillion pile of federal IOUs held by the public."​

Yeah.....whatta tragedy.

I guess you needed to have-been-there.​

Back