Auto companies to bring back electric cars nobody wanted

Topgun - Check the facts please.
Please don't play games like Obama.

From usatoday.com -

The president's auto task force said Chrysler needs to partner with the Italian car company Fiat, which has "committed to building new fuel-efficient cars and engines right here in the United States," Obama said in a speech at the White House.

"Fiat is prepared to transfer its cutting-edge technology to Chrysler," he said.

He gave Fiat and Chrysler 30 days to reach an agreement and said the government will provide Chrysler with "adequate capital" to operate in the meantime.

So as you see Chrysler wasn't given a choice to partner with just any good auto company. It had to be Fiat. But what does he know?

These were Obama's words and he isn't hiding the fact, like you.

Werbung:
And Fiat is junk too. Unbelievable that Obama is pushing Chrysler to one of the crap forign automakers. Or maybe Fiat was the only one small enough to risk buying into Chrysler.

The whole thing is doomed.

And Fiat is junk too. Unbelievable that Obama is pushing Chrysler to one of the crap forign automakers. Or maybe Fiat was the only one small enough to risk buying into Chrysler.

The deal that Fiat got from the government was a pretty sweet deal. What was it for? $0.25 on the the dollar? Chrysler's inventory and machinery is probably worth that.

Well again, how many of your friends drive Fiats?
How many do you see on the road?

Not many and let's pray its stays that way.

And if Fiat receives ownership of Chrysler, does that benefit us?

No way, we will just be paying our tax dollars to a foreign company.

Nothing about that deal makes sense.

I don't care if Fiat sells cars in the US, if they make good cars and can get someone to buy them more power to them.

I think Chrysler should have been in bankruptcy months ago, but no asked me.

If anything, this could spell the doom for Chrysler.

Back in 2003 I think, the company I worked for bought out ownership of a company based in California. At the time it was expected that we would keep a west coast presence. But when they ran the numbers that discovered the cost of labor, the cost of taxes, and the cost of transporting goods, meant that ship the materials to Ohio, build the product, and ship it all back to California, at a fraction of the cost.

Why would Fiat keep US factories open, when they can build the same product out of the country for cheaper? I don't think they would close down Chrysler entirely, only because we have import restrictions. But I bet you'll see more than a few product lines exported.

Topgun - Check the facts please.
Please don't play games like Obama.

From usatoday.com -

The president's auto task force said Chrysler needs to partner with the Italian car company Fiat, which has "committed to building new fuel-efficient cars and engines right here in the United States," Obama said in a speech at the White House.

"Fiat is prepared to transfer its cutting-edge technology to Chrysler," he said.

He gave Fiat and Chrysler 30 days to reach an agreement and said the government will provide Chrysler with "adequate capital" to operate in the meantime.

So as you see Chrysler wasn't given a choice to partner with just any good auto company. It had to be Fiat. But what does he know?

These were Obama's words and he isn't hiding the fact, like you.

That's not a demand you goofball... that's an observation they were making at a certain point in time as it compared to just going straight into bankruptcy without a partner.

Are you seriously saying that if there were ANY OTHER better offers to help bailout Chrysler (which you also have failed to note SAVES taxpayer money compared to the amout the government was estimated to provide if Chrysler went it alone) the Obama administration would have said no... has to be Fiat!

How ridiculous...

Yeah I mean Fiat is only Italy's largest motor car manufacturer as they own all the major Italian brands...for example. Lancia, Alfa Romeo, Maserati and Ferrari... LOL!

No one likes those cheap a$$ things.:)

But seriously while Fiat is more Italy's everyday driver brand and has a lot of small cars in it's line up it's exactly what Chrysler needed and was looking for.

As a side note: Fiat is now in talks to possibly buy GM's Opel brand in Germany. Looks like Fiat was set ready to expand selling those "fuel efficient cars".

Things have changed. I too remember Fiats a lot like the British MG and Triumph to be finicky little cars waaaaay waaaaay back in the 70's. But they, just like the all the Japanese lines have advanced by leaps & bounds to leaders in many markets.

And most importantly... it's exactly the type of line Chrysler needed & wanted.

I respectfully disagree. Fiat is junk. Unlike other manufacturers that have been expanding into the US market, Fiat is less than 0.0003% of the US market.

Moreover, you cite Maserati and Ferrari means Fiat is good. No, I'd suggest it means what I said in another post. Namely that when you can charge $100K to $200K, that you can make a pretty good car. Heck, for $138 Billion you can get to the moon.

As for Alpha Romeo, their cars were so great, so awe inspiring, that in 1995 they ceased US sales, and no one noticed they left. Moreover, they came back in 2007, but no one can find any.

Better still, you ramble on about selling fuel efficient vehicles and rattle off three brands of the least fuel efficient on the market. Ferrari gets 9 miles per gallon on their V12 cars. Maserati gets 11 on their V8s. Humorous.

I respectfully disagree. Fiat is junk. Unlike other manufacturers that have been expanding into the US market, Fiat is less than 0.0003% of the US market.

Moreover, you cite Maserati and Ferrari means Fiat is good. No, I'd suggest it means what I said in another post. Namely that when you can charge $100K to $200K, that you can make a pretty good car. Heck, for $138 Billion you can get to the moon.

As for Alpha Romeo, their cars were so great, so awe inspiring, that in 1995 they ceased US sales, and no one noticed they left. Moreover, they came back in 2007, but no one can find any.

Better still, you ramble on about selling fuel efficient vehicles and rattle off three brands of the least fuel efficient on the market. Ferrari gets 9 miles per gallon on their V12 cars. Maserati gets 11 on their V8s. Humorous.

You know Andy I read your posts and really try and get something... anything out of them... but they are so one sided and lacking in ACTUAL CURRENT STANDING that it's very very hard.

FIAT is well liked and well respected all over the world today. They make very good & dependable, fuel efficient small to medium size cars. They don't still build the FIATS of the past, anymore than the US still builds Pintos or Gremlins.

And the more exotics like Alpha, Maserati and Ferrari are nitche cars for real serious sports car buyers with lots & lots of cash. Gas prices don't matter to them. And I can tell you that if you ever really checked out the interior & exterior design quality and drove a Maserati or Ferrari you'd understand why people flush with cash buy them.

They're simply stunning and you don't see another one at every other traffic light like you do even say a Corvette. They're more unique and rare and for some people with tons of cash... they like that image.

But what I'm pointing out here is that the FIAT motorgroup knows cars and has some of the most elite in their stable (little Ferrari joke there... you know the prancing stallion emblem:D).

So all this said Chrysler will obviously benefit. What I see is a car that will be super popular with the younger crowd... like a Mini Cooper but a lot less expensive and also popular for others without a family just wanting a good gas mileage car with a back seat that's new here and a little different.

Chrysler lacked two things... a good small car line... and a more modern styling. FIAT helps. Let's wish them luck!

I rarely see Fiats on the roads.
Fiat is less than 0.0003% of the US market
That speaks volumes.

Either they are too expensive, poor quality or just not desireable.

Does it make any sense to partner with an unpopular car company?

I will never buy a Fiat, but I will buy many cars!

That speaks volumes.

The news get's better... or worse...

Generally if one is having trouble, you want to merge, or be bought by a largely successful company that is growing and expanding. You also want to make sure to buy a good company with a proven track record.

GM bought the Opel plant in Germany, and then nearly went bankrupt with quality issues. One amusing one was a Cadillac convertible the leaked water from the Opel factory. The response to the complaints was "it's a convertible. Convertibles leak"

New information I found from Fiat. The soon to be owner of Chrysler, has been busy with another purchase from last year. Fiat just 12 month ago bought out another car company...

Get this... they bought out the Yugo.
yugo.jpg

Yes that's right. The most notoriously awful car to ever exist in the history of the world, was bought by Fiat, who will soon own Chrysler. Moreover, and I did not know this, the Yugo, was actually a rip off of a Fiat car. The most notorious car on the planet was a stolen design from Fiat.

How awful was the Yugo? For those who don't know, some quick recaps of recent history.
Consumer Reports 1987: "better off buying a good used car than a new Yugo" and "barely qualified as a car."
Car & Driver "The Disposable Car by Bic"
Car Talk's worst car of the millennium.
In 1989, 31-year-old Leslie Ann Pluhar, driving a 1987 Yugo over the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan, was blown over the bridge's 36-inch railing by a 50 mph gust of wind. The car only weights 1800 lbs at most.

Check out this video of a 1988 review of the Yugo:

And now, 20 years later, Fiat which inspired this rolling junk pile, and now has bought the junk car company, is under the direction of Obama going to buy out Chrysler?

You can't make this stuff up! This is an SNL skit in the making!

That speaks volumes.

Well the fact FIAT hasn't been in the US for years probably explains that don't ya think?

They couldn't compete here back when the big three were still doing OK and the Japanese imports were in heavy development of their market share.

And I think it's fine you don't buy a FIAT. There's probably a lot of cars you like I'd never drive as well. But I can tell you that they will have a following just like the VW Beetle did or the Mini Cooper does. They'll hand Chrysler a quality small car division ready to go right away.

And as people continue to both fear & see gas prices creep back up and especially the next time gas prices spike up to $4 or $5 a gallon that's gonna seem a really smart move on Chrysler's part.

And when time is important like in a Bush Recession... time is very important.

The news get's better... or worse...

Generally if one is having trouble, you want to merge, or be bought by a largely successful company that is growing and expanding. You also want to make sure to buy a good company with a proven track record.

New information I found from Fiat. The soon to be owner of Chrysler, has been busy with another purchase from last year. Fiat just 12 month ago bought out another car company...

SOOO what you're saying is FIAT is a super financially strong company with the deep pockets to be buying up brands all around the world from Ferrari to Yugo and everything in between?

OK I can agree with that. See sometimes we do agree.:)

And on the Yugo specifically in some much less affluent countries the Yugo is the affordable alternative to say horse & cart so that's kinda important to recognize.

And what's up with you guys and these antique pictures?:D

Werbung:
SOOO what you're saying is FIAT is a super financially strong company with the deep pockets to be buying up brands all around the world from Ferrari to Yugo and everything in between?

OK I can agree with that. See sometimes we do agree.:)

And on the Yugo specifically in some much less affluent countries the Yugo is the affordable alternative to say horse & cart so that's kinda important to recognize.

And what's up with you guys and these antique pictures?:D

Are you kidding? So in your world, the ability to buy up the most notoriously awful car in the history of the auto industry.... is a sign of a financially strong company with deep pockets?

You think buying the "Yugo" company is a sign of deep pockets....? Are you joking?

And beyond that, I'm questioning the intelligence of Fiat. Let me ask you... if you knew a specific car company was so awful, so low quality, so shoddy at workmanship, that it gained a notorious reputation around the world.... would you want to add that company to your list of subsidiaries? Yet Fiat did....

And now their going to own our third largest domestic auto producer....

You can't possibly see this as a positive. You are a car guy! How can you possibly see this as a good thing?! What, did you never drive a Yugo? Watch the video again!

Back