1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Bad-News For The "Blame ACORN" Herd!

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by Mr. Shaman, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

Great idea, there, Georgie....Allowing The Marketplace To Regulate Itself!!

:rolleyes:

2. Pidgey

Pidgey Well-Known Member

Don'tcha' think you oughta' blame Congress for legislative matters?

3. bododie

bododie New Member

Nice try. Can you in your infinite wisdom tell us who in Congress was the chairman of the house financial services committee and whose Hershey highway he was traveling? Can you also explain who tried to stop any regulation of the lending industry? Or are you going to run away as usual when you are wrong, as usual.

4. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

How do you re-legislate already-existing oversight-requirements....when Vulture Capitalists ignore the existing-ones anyhow? :confused:

5. bododie

bododie New Member

Like Frank Raines? What should happen to him?

6. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

You made it clear that the agencies (government) were not doing their job. Why would you blame the free market for the failure of the governmental regulatory agencies?

Without those agencies to begin with the free market would not have generated this mess.

7. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

Ah, yes....let's not blame Corporate America for their greed. They knew the Bush Admin had zero interest in oversight, and Corporate America (simply) couldn't help themselves.

8. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

It is the governments job to provide oversight to stop injustice.

So yes if the gov does not do it's job and the "greedy corporations" then go out and commit injustice it is the fault of the gov that did not do it's job.

Since the Republicans and the Democrats and the Tories and the Whigs and all politicians througout history cannot be trusted to do it's job it is time to get someone else to do it.

Or at the very least to not let the people who make the rules make the rules about themselves. They have systematicaly removed all checks and balances that restrain government from doing harm itself, then they give themselves the best salaries and the best insurance plans then they engage in backroom deals and create an unfair tax code. And somehow they get us to think that half of them are trustworthy and the other half are not.

9. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Who got the ball rolling? Selling mortgage backed securities is not a "new thing". And clearly sub-prime lending wasn't always popular, because it was considered risky. Obviously it was risky when you look at sub-prime forclosures. So where did this all begin?

Answer? CRA. The community reinvestment act, made minority lending a priority. Further, the HUD department, used Fannie and Freddie to push this, through allowing banks to sell sub-prime mortgages to Fannie and Freddie in packages. The result is that it legitimized the sub-prime market, and the banks ran with it. Of course the feds were not going to stop sub-prime loans to "minorities" because that's what they themselves demanded.

10. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

....Yeah....did not do it's job, by CHOICE!!

11. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

Fine, let's start with your false premise that businesses are the bad guys.

Then the bad guys ask the police to not stop them from doing bad things. And then the police agree to not stop the bad guys from doing bad things. then the bad guys do bad things.

Clearly the were working together.

that is if your premise is true.

But since there is no wrongdoing on the part of businesses here they are not the bad guys. After all selling loans to people who cannot pay them back because the government forced you to do it and feeling secure in accepting bad loans because the government was going to buy them from you is not bad - at least not on the part of the businesses.

12. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

....Especially when there were limited-resources to investigate such things.

13. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

I find your color choices to be distracting. I usually ignore all the embedded links in your posts and if I am not talking directly to you I often ignore your posts alltogether, not because I won't debate with you, but because it is just too hard on the eyes. But it is your decision to keep that up or not.

It is especially hard to read what you wrote after I open the "reply" box and it looks something like this:

"[ QUOTE = Mr. Shaman;84815][ CENTE R ]....Especially when there were [ URL ="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ccQ_jiJjVA"][B ][I ][ COLOR="Red"]limited[/I]-resources[/COLOR][/B][/URL] to investigate[/COLOR ][/B ] such things."

I can't even read that sentence!

I don't want to watch some video that you then embedded in some colored link that will probably turn out to be a fruitless waste of time. If there is something worthy in there you can repeat it to us and provide the link as a source so we know were you got it.

Are you trying to say that the business limited the governments ability to investigate? Since when does the potential crook get to decide how much money the police officer gets to use? If the crook does have the power to limit the police then I still blame the police for allowing it. Who is the authority here? Uncle Sam or K-Mart?

14. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

Make life more simple, for yourself.

Quit whining & move on.

15. bododie

bododie New Member

Ditto.