1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Beer helps make clean electricity.

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by PLC1, May 2, 2007.

1. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

If the Aussies can make electricity from beer byproducts, why can't the rest of us?

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...r,0,2950735.story?coll=sns-ap-world-headlines

2. Bunz

Bunz New Member

Well that is an interesting bit of technology, but also a byproduct of beer and popular in Australia is Vegemite, a salty dark spread that is mostly toxic in my opinion. The worst tasting stuff known to man.

3. steveox

steveox Well-Known Member

4. palerider

palerider Well-Known Member

Truely unbearable stuff. I would be more likely to eat grubbs than taste that stuff again. Grubbs certainly couldn't be any worse.

5. vyo476

vyo476 Active Member

Actually grubs don't really have a taste. Some are bitter but most don't really taste like anything.

6. JavaBlack

JavaBlack New Member

As long as they just use the cheap nasty beer for electricity.
    There may finally be use for MGD and The Milwaukee Beast!

7. invest07

invest07 Member

Water + sugar + brewer's yeast = alcohol/water mix. Add a simple reflux still to separate the water and alochol and you have a mighty fine and clean burning fuel for your car.

And, if you are very careful during the brewing and distilling process and your equipment is clean, you also have 200 proof alcohol suitable for recreational drinking. (Can you say moonshine?)

It's is my understanding that newer cars with fuel injection and onboard computers can run straight alcohol or gas/acohol blends with no mods. The power is down a little but alcohol burns cleaner than gas and also much cooler. Alcohol is also not volatile like gas. (Indy cars have run alcohol for years because it will not explode like gas).

With a backyard still you can produce 10-20 gallons a week at a cost of less than $2/gallon.

I'm trying to talk the little lady into letting me shell out about a grand for the equipment. If I do succeed, I'll keep you posted.