1. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Best Democratic candidate for president?

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by PLC1, Mar 21, 2015.

1. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

Is it a given that the Democrats will run Hillary? What is the alternative? Does she have a chance of winning the general election?

Who would you like to see run?

2. dogtowner

dogtowner Moderator Staff Member

HRC is no lock and, frankly, I never thoought she had a chance at the nomination.

What does that leave ?

Warren. A fringe favorite which may be enough considrring who owns the party these days.

Omalley (think thats right). Just far enoughoff the radar to appear to mot have baggage. May be electable.

Biden. Well veep following is a longstanding tradition but since Gore its tarnished. And lets face it... its the gaffemeister we're talking about. Hes a moron.

Gov Sunshine. Ok probably crazy talk but it is sort if possible to make him seem fiscallly responsible and he actually is the only pol in Cali who doesnt sound like the lunatic fringe.

3. Lagboltz

Lagboltz Well-Known Member

Hillary is the only viable candidate.
    I agree with your other comments. Warren is too toxic to conservatives and maybe indy's to have a chance at the presidency.

4. PLC1

Surely there must be some alternative to Hillary and Warren. The first has a lot of baggage that will be exploited during the campaign. The second is pretty far from mainstream.

So, if that's really all there is, expect a Republican victory in '16.

5. Lagboltz

I don't know of anyone else with the public exposure as Hillary that could create a groundswell. I'm already expecting a Repub victory because of the new supreme court ruling on political contributions.

6. PLC1

It does look that way.

But, don't underestimate the ability of the Republicans to lose an election that they should by all odds win. They did such a good job of doing exactly that in 2012.

7. Lagboltz

Romney was at least sort of sane. The only hope for Dems is that someone like Perry or Cruz gets the nomination.

8. PLC1

If it's between Hillary and someone like Perry or Cruz, I'm voting for Voldemort.

I'm tired of voting for the lesser of the evils.

9. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

Perry is far more mainstream than Ted Cruz. Perry would have some positives - he has a strong economic record in Texas, he will be far better prepared this go around. He often is misrepresented by people who think he has argued for leaving the Union (he did not). Perry can pull a lot of support from the Republican business establishment - I wouldn't write him off as a fringe guy yet. Perry is a viable candidate and will look even more so when thrown up on a stage with people like Cruz, Huckabee, and Santorum in my view.

10. Lagboltz

As you know, in politics perception is more important than truth. I imagine Texans have a higher view of Perry than most. But in my circles Perry is lumped with the other buffoons (both Rep and Dem) that get on stage for debates.

11. Cruella

Cruella Well-Known Member

They should run someone like Bernie Sanders. He's about as close to the Communist party as you can get.

12. dogtowner

dogtowner Moderator Staff Member

Omalley. As obama showed recognition isnt necessary and history only a hammer to be beaten with.

13. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
    he will not win because he is not fringe and he is a idiot, but not a Palin type idiot so they will not forgive it. The Republicans are going to go for a nut job because thats the base of the party now...then after that will lose because moderates stay home or vote Dem because they went so far right...and then say they lost because they where not conservative enough again..Or did not explain themselves well....never thinking that maybe the poplulation rejects their ideas.

14. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

Time will tell.

15. SingerRob

SingerRob New Member

Rand Paul jumping in today has made things at least a little interesting. I'm not surprised that he's running, but the fact that he's not strictly a party lines kind of guy is somewhat intriguing. He's more viable than Ted Cruz, anyway. Lol

As for the Dems, all I've heard is Hillary, Hillary, Hillary. And I don't think that will bode well come election time. After Benghazi (which, whether or not she did things right, "perception trumps truth" for a lot of people), and this recent e-mail disaster, I think the debates will be brutal for her.

I'm an independent, so I say all of that without party bias. At this point, there's no one in the ring that I'm terribly excited about.