Beyond The Pet Goat

KeepOurFreedoms

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-shaw/reading-the-pictures-em_b_60558.html

Reading The Pictures: Beyond The Pet Goat

Posted August 15, 2007 | 12:24 PM (EST)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I had seen this photo before, the fact it showed up in Monday's NYT "Goodbye Karl" slideshow caused me to take a closer "visual forensic" look. The photo, as you can tell from the clock and the TV screen, was taken at 9:25 am on the morning of 9/11/2001 at Booker Elementary School in Sarasota, Florida.

Although everyone in the world, it seems, is familiar with the "Pet Goat" photos, I think this one -- though far lesser known -- is as much, if not even more scandalous.

Given the detailed timelines available from that morning, we know well how George Bush spent 10 very long minutes reading a story to a group of second graders. He entered the classroom room at 9:03, and he was informed at 9:06 by Andy Card that a second plane had crashed into the World Trade Towers, but he didn't finish up with the kids until 9:16.

What is much less familiar, however, is how Bush spent the next fifteen or twenty minutes. After taking another minute or two to speak with the teacher and principal after the reading exercise, Bush and company made their way into this adjoining classroom. Once there, Bush spoke with Condi Rice (check), then Dick Cheney (double check), then New York Governor Pataki (check again). What is most remarkable -- both about the photo, and Dubya's subsequent decision making -- however, are those pages in front of him.

According to his original pre-"attack on America" schedule, Bush was slated to give a speech to the Booker Elementary student body at approximately 9:30. So, thirty-nine minutes after the first crash (which Bush was aware of by approximately 8:55); and nineteen minutes after hearing about the second crash; and with the fate of America supposedly hanging in the balance, what do you suppose Bush had in front of him and was working on?

Yep, it's the speech he ended up writing, then delivering, four minutes later to 200 elementary school students, along with some teachers and a handful of reporters.

If Bush's actions confirm his incompetent, pre-formulated, performance-by-rote, what, in addition, might the craft and composition of the photo indicate? In this moment of extreme crisis; 13 minutes before Flight 77 would slam into the Pentagon; with the atmosphere rife with speculation that numerous highjacks were in progress, can anybody say there wasn't still time for posing?

Only White House photographer Eric Draper could tell us for sure, but with the President centered in the shot, now seemingly down to business (because the kids must be served -- again); the American flag neatly framed under Dan Bartlett's arm; Bartlett, at that very moment, happening to point out the replay of the WTC attack (as if to say, we're on it!); Deborah Loewer, director of the White House Situation Room, doing her situationing perfectly situated behind the boss; and with the two suits to the left standing at attention and ready for action, I'd say this scene is strangely burdened by the sense of what it is supposed to look like.

And then, fast forward to the present, and here the picture is again, this time innocuously inserted in the New York Times "farewell Karl" slideshow. But with no one the wiser, it serves to function as historical propaganda, as an apparent counterpoint to "The Pet Goat" -- rather than what it really evidences, which is more of the same.

Oh yes, then there's Karl himself. Funny how he's at the back again -- with his arms folded when everybody else is now busy in "first responder" mode, using their appendages to point or write or conference. But then, arm folding in the middle of an action scene is also taking action, isn't it?

I mean, isn't that what directors do?....................

Werbung:
Other than national paralysis, I can think of no reason that man was allowed to remain in office one more day. He is so bad at leading a country that he must stand alone in history. Words fail.

I wasn't aware that he then went ahead and gave a speech to 200 students after the WTC attacks. That is ridiculous.

This is flagerent incompetance:
http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/essay.jsp?article=essayaninterestingday

That's because you have the benefit of hindsight. From the Presidents perspective two small propeller planes hit the twin towers and it was a terrorist attack. (he had already been told the first one was a prop. and then when the second one hit he was not told any details about what kind of plane it was) I remember the news that morning and no one thought that there could have been any significant damage.

the consipiracy theorists are quick to point out that no one could have known how many planes there were so clearly this must have been planned by the gov.

But really, if no one knew how many planes there were then one would have to think that what was going on was like past attacks. All of which involved single events that could never be prevented once they began. In the photo where people are complaining that he is writing his speech he is simultaneously listening to the news about the plane crashes. In his speech he is clearly concerned with the families of the victims indicating that no one thought there would be further attacks.

The president had to surmise what was happening from the smallest of clues. What he was actually told made the event seem like two little planes were involved and would do virtually nothing. The people around him, the secret service, etc were not reacting either, so clearly the clues indicated that not much was happening.

But by the time his staff knew what was happening he was coordinating efforts to do what could be done.

Anyone can pull out a single photo and spin it to make things look bad. Here is a group of more photos that show the day more accurately.

http://iraq-kill-maim.org/prezsec/prezsec-eyeball2.htm

Oh I almost forgot. The extent of the speech that he gave to the kids was more or less "Hey I've gotta go."

This is the presidents one minute speech that must have taken so much time away from his collecting information about the WTC.

"9:30 A.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Ladies and gentlemen, this is a difficult moment for America. I, unfortunately, will be going back to Washington after my remarks. Secretary Rod Paige and the Lt. Governor will take the podium and discuss education. I do want to thank the folks here at Booker Elementary School for their hospitality.

Today we've had a national tragedy. Two airplanes have crashed into the World Trade Center in an apparent terrorist attack on our country. I have spoken to the Vice President, to the Governor of New York, to the Director of the FBI, and have ordered that the full resources of the federal government go to help the victims and their families, and to conduct a full-scale investigation to hunt down and to find those folks who committed this act.

Terrorism against our nation will not stand.

And now if you would join me in a moment of silence. May God bless the victims, their families, and America. Thank you very much.

END 9:31 A.M. EDT "

Remember up until this time when people hijacked planes they usually threatened to blow them up with bombs in exchange for being taken to some place that they wanted to go and being given some demands.

Planes as missiles, while theorized, was virtually unheard of in reality.

What would you do to stop hijackers on planes with bombs? The typical strategy at that time was for local law enforcement to negotiate with them.

The fact that the military had fighter planes in the air somewhat later that day indicated how quickly things change.

Remember up until this time when people hijacked planes they usually threatened to blow them up with bombs in exchange for being taken to some place that they wanted to go and being given some demands.

Planes as missiles, while theorized, was virtually unheard of in reality.

What would you do to stop hijackers on planes with bombs? The typical strategy at that time was for local law enforcement to negotiate with them.

The fact that the military had fighter planes in the air somewhat later that day indicated how quickly things change.

These "hijackers" had box cutters, not bombs.

NORAD was nowhere to be found. How convenient is that? Sounds like a planned move to me. Someone told NORAD to stand down.

Oh I almost forgot. The extent of the speech that he gave to the kids was more or less "Hey I've gotta go."

This is the presidents one minute speech that must have taken so much time away from his collecting information about the WTC.

"9:30 A.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Ladies and gentlemen, this is a difficult moment for America. I, unfortunately, will be going back to Washington after my remarks. Secretary Rod Paige and the Lt. Governor will take the podium and discuss education. I do want to thank the folks here at Booker Elementary School for their hospitality.

Today we've had a national tragedy. Two airplanes have crashed into the World Trade Center in an apparent terrorist attack on our country. I have spoken to the Vice President, to the Governor of New York, to the Director of the FBI, and have ordered that the full resources of the federal government go to help the victims and their families, and to conduct a full-scale investigation to hunt down and to find those folks who committed this act.

Terrorism against our nation will not stand.

And now if you would join me in a moment of silence. May God bless the victims, their families, and America. Thank you very much.

END 9:31 A.M. EDT "

Bush didn't go straight back to Washington. How many places did he go before he went back to Washington?

Not you, that's for sure. You are a Bush supporter no matter what he has done or not done.

Do you realize how petty this is? You're creating threads about what President Bush did for a couple of minutes after learning of a plane crashing into the World Trade Center six years ago. I get equally frustrated with the people who rail on Clinton for every little thing.

I disagree with the President on a number of issues, but I still support him as I supported Clinton before him. I think it's important for a President to have over 50% approval ratings or else he becomes entirely impotent and ineffective to the point where the Office of the Presidency is rendered useless on any sort of large scale.

And please don't respond with "You would've been a good Nazi in the 1930s". Of course there are limits to supporting your leaders, but until I see one do something especially egregious, I believe that it is important for a President to have the support of the American people.

Do you realize how petty this is? You're creating threads about what President Bush did for a couple of minutes after learning of a plane crashing into the World Trade Center six years ago. I get equally frustrated with the people who rail on Clinton for every little thing.

I disagree with the President on a number of issues, but I still support him as I supported Clinton before him. I think it's important for a President to have over 50% approval ratings or else he becomes entirely impotent and ineffective to the point where the Office of the Presidency is rendered useless on any sort of large scale.

And please don't respond with "You would've been a good Nazi in the 1930s". Of course there are limits to supporting your leaders, but until I see one do something especially egregious, I believe that it is important for a President to have the support of the American people.

Do not try to put words in my mouth. I would never compare you to a Nazi. Would I compare Bush to Hitler..YES...and his entire administration...and those behind the scenes as well.

If you think what the President of the USA is petty, why is that office called leader of the free world?

Bush isn't even close to having 50% rating.

Werbung:
Do not try to put words in my mouth. I would never compare you to a Nazi. Would I compare Bush to Hitler..YES...and his entire administration...and those behind the scenes as well.

Because Bush has 12 million people rounded up and put into concentration camps.

If you think what the President of the USA is petty, why is that office called leader of the free world?

I didn't say the President is petty. I said making an issue out of what he did for a few minutes in between learning that a plane had crashed into WTC and taking action is petty.

Bush isn't even close to having 50% rating.

Neither was Clinton at one time.

Back