Big Three Autos

Werbung:
A GM bankruptcy would cost about 2,5-million jobs in the first year among vehicle manufacturers, suppliers and related businesses, according to a report by the Centre for Automotive Research.

That's just GM and that's just the first year.

The CEOs should have to live on welfare (the non-corporate kind) for the time it takes to retool the programs to pump out competitive high-MPG cars. That is soley what the $$ loan should be earmarked for.

Any person found to be part of the idea to scrap the Volt should be unceremoniously sacked, without a golden handshake. Not one dime. That's how the free market works. You fail to produce well, you get fired.

So yes, Uncle Sam should step in, but with RIGOROUS guidelines to spend every nickle, dime and penny lent on turning out the most fuel-efficient cars in the world.

I'm friggin' tired of rewarding incompetance. Like Jon Stewart said, "maybe I should start a huge bank and then let it fail so I can become rich." We're teaching business to fail in order to get bailed out by Mommy. Like a bunch of irresponsible teenagers..

The CEOs should have to live on welfare (the non-corporate kind) for the time it takes to retool the programs to pump out competitive high-MPG cars. That is soley what the $$ loan should be earmarked for.

Any person found to be part of the idea to scrap the Volt should be unceremoniously sacked, without a golden handshake. Not one dime. That's how the free market works. You fail to produce well, you get fired.

So yes, Uncle Sam should step in, but with RIGOROUS guidelines to spend every nickle, dime and penny lent on turning out the most fuel-efficient cars in the world.

I'm friggin' tired of rewarding incompetance. Like Jon Stewart said, "maybe I should start a huge bank and then let it fail so I can become rich." We're teaching business to fail in order to get bailed out by Mommy. Like a bunch of irresponsible teenagers..

Well said. In my view this financial mess is very serious. People should stop calling it a bailout. This is a rescue of our economy, the airline industry may be next. I don't believe any of this will take care of itself. The government in China just forked over 50 billion to help their economy. It's a necessary evil I'm afraid.

Business 101 should have also taught you that you cannot sell a car there is no demand for. Gas prices and consumer demand for these cars did not dictate their creation, which is why they were scrapped.

When gas prices went up, the situation changed. But putting everything into context, which you do not like I know, shows us that there was simply no demand for these cars at the time they were rolled out. It was not some vast conspiracy, it was simply supply and demand. The hummer won out because it is what people wanted to drive, not because "BigOil" made them do it.

you know what else drives a company? being able to see more then 2 ft in front of you. That's what American cars are ALWAYS years behind the market and do poorly against Japans cars. Honda and Toyota had more fuel efficient cars before gas when up, and had Hybrids out years before any American company, and that is why yet again they are head of the market and we are behind failing.

Crysler should just go under, bail out for and GM as a compamise...let one die to show what happens when you dont look ahead and scare ford and GM a but, and then for the good of the econ we help out ford and GM, and we do yes put stings on it.,Maybe those Cafe Standards get boosted and we see what legaly we can do to get them a short term edge of cars made outside the US ( many cars from EU and Japan/Korea are made in US though)

Overall i would love to see no bail out, but it seems that it may just to big of a evon hit at this time to lose more then 1 of them.

No one put a gun to the head of GM and said make Hummers and don't have any cars with good mpg that anyone wants to drive...And again because those at the top are worthless at there jobs, we have to bail them out or risk watching the US econ get even worse and many many jobs lost.

I would of course demand that like filing for bankruptcy that to get bailed out each company needs to show some valid plan to get back on track and possibly repay part of the bail out. You cant ask for a loan and say just trust us...if they cant get a plan that works for us, sorry see ya later .

And I say this as someone who hates these bail outs, but I am not sure we can not do it...but we can limit it at least.

I think unions are one of the big reasons for the car companies to fail

realy you think its the worker? not the high paid CEO's and top people who dont have the insight to see business trends are are years 5 years behind? But go ahead blame the workers for the fact that actuly do a job and want to get paid well for it.

Dang, I never knew that or even considered it. If those three car makers fail, I wonder what sort of trickle down effect it would have.

It assumes that no other car company would rise to take their place. Under a capitalist system a new competitor, one that is more efficient and makes better cars, will take the place of the failed GM.

What is preventing this from happening already are the barriers to entry imposed by the government from propping up companies that are unable to compete. The trickle down effect will be minimal and short lived in my view.

you know what else drives a company? being able to see more then 2 ft in front of you. That's what American cars are ALWAYS years behind the market and do poorly against Japans cars. Honda and Toyota had more fuel efficient cars before gas when up, and had Hybrids out years before any American company, and that is why yet again they are head of the market and we are behind failing.

Gas is also more expensive in Japan. It was not that American car companies did not see more than two feet in front of them, but how do you market a product that no one wants and there is no need for in the United States?

In hindsight it would look pretty good now to have electric cars rolling out. Foreign car companies are better able to do this because while we loved our low gas prices, gas prices in many other parts of the world were already through the roof for the years, thus creating a market for foreign companies to sell these cars in.

Crysler should just go under, bail out for and GM as a compamise...let one die to show what happens when you dont look ahead and scare ford and GM a but, and then for the good of the econ we help out ford and GM, and we do yes put stings on it.,Maybe those Cafe Standards get boosted and we see what legaly we can do to get them a short term edge of cars made outside the US ( many cars from EU and Japan/Korea are made in US though)

Let them all fail. And putting up higher tariffs and trade barriers in an economy like this is a disaster. That was a huge factor that plunged us into the Great Depression. (Smoot-Haley Tariffs)

Overall i would love to see no bail out, but it seems that it may just to big of a evon hit at this time to lose more then 1 of them.

It is not to big of a hit. Let companies that can make a product people want enter the market, instead of propping up companies that cannot compete.
No one put a gun to the head of GM and said make Hummers and don't have any cars with good mpg that anyone wants to drive...And again because those at the top are worthless at there jobs, we have to bail them out or risk watching the US econ get even worse and many many jobs lost.

What incentive do I then have as a business leader to make any good decisions? I maximize my short term profits and if the market changes and I cannot survive, hey the government will write me a check because I employ people.

I would of course demand that like filing for bankruptcy that to get bailed out each company needs to show some valid plan to get back on track and possibly repay part of the bail out. You cant ask for a loan and say just trust us...if they cant get a plan that works for us, sorry see ya later .

And I say this as someone who hates these bail outs, but I am not sure we can not do it...but we can limit it at least.

We can do it, we just do not have the stomach for it.

realy you think its the worker? not the high paid CEO's and top people who dont have the insight to see business trends are are years 5 years behind? But go ahead blame the workers for the fact that actuly do a job and want to get paid well for it.

I would think that yes at least a part of it. I work for the school district and I know that the huge majority of the money we get from state and fed government goes to our pay and our PERS and our health care, there is really not a whole lot left for other things. Why would it be any differnt for GM or any of them. Though I am sure CEO's are taking a huge chunk.

I am ok with CEO's making a killing if they are a private company, what they do with thier money is their own business, but now they want us to bail them out, so now I care what The CEO of GM makes ;)

It assumes that no other car company would rise to take their place. Under a capitalist system a new competitor, one that is more efficient and makes better cars, will take the place of the failed GM.

What is preventing this from happening already are the barriers to entry imposed by the government for propping up companies that are unable to compete. The trickle down effect will be minimal and short lived in my view.
Its all sure a mess. I dont know what the answer is. I just know I am against more bail outs.

The execs in charge at the big 3 should be fired without so much as another dime...and all their stocks taken from them.

Ditto with all the top execs at AIG, Fannie and Freddie.

AIG execs should have their bank accounts taken in order to repay every cent that they wasted this year.

UAW MUST go if the automakers are to have even a chance of competing.

Delta pilots lost most of their retirement, so should the auto folks.

Werbung:
The execs in charge at the big 3 should be fired without so much as another dime...and all their stocks taken from them.

Ditto with all the top execs at AIG, Fannie and Freddie.

AIG execs should have their bank accounts taken in order to repay every cent that they wasted this year.

UAW MUST go if the automakers are to have even a chance of competing.

Delta pilots lost most of their retirement, so should the auto folks.

Nice that rewards are built in for senior execs, whether they do their jobs are not. And they say unions are bad for protecting sub standard employees.

Back