Bill Nye Booed for saying Moon reflects light from the Sun

Popeye

This is amazing, and though it happened back in 2006, it's an example of how the religious freaks, through their enablers the Republican Party, are dumbing down the country.

Bill Nye "The Science Guy" was booed in Waco, Texas in 2006 for suggesting the Moon did not generate its own light, but reflected light from the sun.

Trouble started when the children's entertainer brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars," and pointed out that the lesser light was actually a reflector.

At this point, several people in the audience stormed out, including woman with three small children who muttered, "We believe in God!" and left.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4112-Skepticism-Examiner~y2009m4d22-Just-shoot-me

Here's a reposting of the original story..I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it happened in Texas.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content//features/stories/2009/04/23/billnye.html

Werbung:
Is it possible that they booed him for trying to imply that this was a disproof of the Biblical passage in the Bible, and therefore an attack on their faith?

None of the people questioned at the event said "Of course the moon generates it's own light!" only that "we believe in G-d". The two statements are not the same, and do not imply the same.

This is amazing, and though it happened back in 2006, it's an example of how the religious freaks, through their enablers the Republican Party, are dumbing down the country.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4112-Skepticism-Examiner~y2009m4d22-Just-shoot-me

Here's a reposting of the original story..I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it happened in Texas.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content//features/stories/2009/04/23/billnye.html

It was not Bill Nye's job to bring up scripture or try to disprove it.

Popeye you would have your panties in a bunch if he were bringing up Genesis to prove it. He should not be doing either one, proving or disproving.

why should he not? is it not his job to disprove theories that are incorrect?

Show me where in the scripture it specifically states the moons creates it's own light? It doesn't.

From mans perspective, the moon is a lesser light, and since generally the "moons light" is only significant at night, it fits to say it rules over the night.

The fact the moons light is reflected, is completely irrelevant to the passage. Nor is it disproved by his statement of the obvious. No theory was disproved.

If anything, this is logical to the passage. If the moon generated it's own light, it would not be a lesser light compared to the Sun... would it? That would disprove the passage. The fact it only reflects light, is the reason it is the 'lesser light' from our perspective.

Back to the point... Bill Nye should focus on science, and not trying to twist passages of the Bible around in a vain effort to disprove something.

Show me where in the scripture it specifically states the moons creates it's own light? It doesn't.

From mans perspective, the moon is a lesser light, and since generally the "moons light" is only significant at night, it fits to say it rules over the night.

The fact the moons light is reflected, is completely irrelevant to the passage. Nor is it disproved by his statement of the obvious. No theory was disproved.

If anything, this is logical to the passage. If the moon generated it's own light, it would not be a lesser light compared to the Sun... would it? That would disprove the passage. The fact it only reflects light, is the reason it is the 'lesser light' from our perspective.

Back to the point... Bill Nye should focus on science, and not trying to twist passages of the Bible around in a vain effort to disprove something.

I have no idea what it says, nore do I care. My point was that noobama said it was not his job to disprove the theory. In fact it is, if someones religion states that the sun creates its own light ....then he should tell them that they are wrong and show why....if as you suggest it does not say that, then fine attack him for being wrong himself....Point is, it is his job to attack the theory if that's what he believes the theory states or is what they belive.

I have no idea what it says, nore do I care. My point was that noobama said it was not his job to disprove the theory. In fact it is, if someones religion states that the sun creates its own light ....then he should tell them that they are wrong and show why....if as you suggest it does not say that, then fine attack him for being wrong himself....Point is, it is his job to attack the theory if that's what he believes the theory states or is what they belive.

Well he is wrong.

To some people, when you get up and start talking about what we know about the moon or sun, doesn't mean you randomly try attack someones religious views in the middle of your presentation.

Let me put it in another way.... if I started a thread on moral decline in America, and discussing the failure of families... and then right in the middle say:

"and a perfect example is pocketfullofshell's listed location as being 'with your wife, when you are not around' which shows the absolute lack of moral character"

Now of course is that true? Who knows. But the point is, I should stick to the topic and not randomly run off and attack something unrelated.

If Bill Nye wants to start a class on theology, he should preface his presentation as being that. If on the other hand he simply wants to stick with a discussion of science of our known universe, then stick to that.

After further review of the story, it appears he also started off on global warming, the biggest scam in our age. It's too bad he couldn't have stuck with basic science, and being entertaining. Looks like he tossed out science in favor of politically motivated crap.

Well he is wrong.

To some people, when you get up and start talking about what we know about the moon or sun, doesn't mean you randomly try attack someones religious views in the middle of your presentation.

Let me put it in another way.... if I started a thread on moral decline in America, and discussing the failure of families... and then right in the middle say:

"and a perfect example is pocketfullofshell's listed location as being 'with your wife, when you are not around' which shows the absolute lack of moral character"

Now of course is that true? Who knows. But the point is, I should stick to the topic and not randomly run off and attack something unrelated.

If Bill Nye wants to start a class on theology, he should preface his presentation as being that. If on the other hand he simply wants to stick with a discussion of science of our known universe, then stick to that.

After further review of the story, it appears he also started off on global warming, the biggest scam in our age. It's too bad he couldn't have stuck with basic science, and being entertaining. Looks like he tossed out science in favor of politically motivated crap.

yes the global warming "scam" with no evidence....thats only backed by just about evry scientist and study out there....

It was not Bill Nye's job to bring up scripture or try to disprove it.

Popeye you would have your panties in a bunch if he were bringing up Genesis to prove it. He should not be doing either one, proving or disproving.

"Proving or disproving"...what are you talking about? The moon reflects light from the sun...that's fact. So what in the heck are these idiots booing about?

They're nothing but imbecilic religious nuts that refuse to accept anything that, in their little minds, contradicts their precious superstitious beliefs. To think this would be going on in the 21st century is beyond belief.

I love the way Republicans try to twist and spin, all in an attempt to somehow justify the fact that their party has been taken over by superstitious religious whackos.

I saw no evidence that the audience thought the moon did anything other than reflect the light of the sun.

The only thing there is people being upset with a science reporter who stepped on their toes by being rude.

I love the way Republicans try to twist and spin, all in an attempt to somehow justify the fact that their party has been taken over by superstitious religious whackos.

Then why did a non-christian McCain, who is 99% democrat, win the nomination over a preacher Mike Huckabee?

I love how liberals on the forum tend to have the foot-in-mouth syndrome.

yes the global warming "scam" with no evidence....thats only backed by just about evry scientist and study out there....

Every scientist and study? Every single one? Just about?

Scientists are pressured to be in favor of the global warming scam.

Global Warming May Take Ten Year Break

And even the IPCC who claims that "25,000 scientists all agree" is actually a fraud. The IPCC who made that claim, is made of "scientists" that the governments have selected. For example, members of Green Peace, were considered "scientists" by IPCC and listed as part of the 25,000 scientists. Further, many scientists that did NOT agree with the conclusions of the IPCC, were never asked to support statements made, and some had to actually threaten to sue the IPCC to get their names removed from the statements.

Here's a good video on that.

The Global Warming Petition Project, has over 32.4 thousand scientists throughout America that do not agree with the claims made by IPCC, and the global warming scam. (note: I claim it's a scam, they claim it just hasn't been proven). The debate is not over, it's no conclusive. You've been duped into believing something not proven.

It's not your fault either. The global warming crap is spewed all over.

Another thought occurred to me. Based on your statements, I conclude that in your view the Bible is a scientific theory that is up for debate and discussion.

Based on that, Question: Since the Bible is a scientific theory, shouldn't it be taught along side evolution is science classes across the country? After all, evolution is nothing more than a scientific theory too.

Werbung:
"Proving or disproving"...what are you talking about? The moon reflects light from the sun...that's fact. So what in the heck are these idiots booing about?

They're nothing but imbecilic religious nuts that refuse to accept anything that, in their little minds, contradicts their precious superstitious beliefs. To think this would be going on in the 21st century is beyond belief.

Had he used Job 26:7 to prove that the scripture that is older than any known text beside the Torah its self and some believe even older than the Torah shows that they knew the earth was suspended in the solar system by gravity, though they did not have that exact word yet, you would have objected and said hey now this guy is here to teach science not quote the bible, and I would have been with you.

Back