blacks and the Fourth of July

Yeah, and half of the people I went to college with couldn't find their way out of a paper bag with written instructions, so don't use multiple degrees as any indication of intellect. The education/knowledge I have given myself since college beats the hell out of anything I ever learned to earn the degree.

I assure you that nobody can get a BS in physics, an MS in astrophysics, and an MS in computer science and not be able to find their way out of a paper bag.

Yeah, well when Katrina hit, those same people who get special treatment were looting the place silly. That should bother you more. If "blathering tom", with all of his statistics is correct, then it should bother you more that you're probably paying for lunch for the illegitimate kids of 96% of black women, as well as the new York steak she might buy with food stamps.

You are apparently not bothered by people who gain much from a country having a bad attitude about it, but I am.

All I wanted to point out is that this issue is entering into "thought and morality" police land. As a "non liberal", are you sure you want that?

I CERTAINLY would not want to force any opinions or attitudes on anyone, but I can still feel pissed about it if I want to.

Werbung:
It's interesting to read the narratives about black people, written by PFOS and Openmind.

Neither one of them are black, but they somehow have their calloused fingers on the pulse of how black people think and feel, and what black people believe and don't believe.

I'm just waiting for one of them to play the "I have lots of black friends" card, so they can justify their call for reparations for black people who are generations removed from slavery, and justify the failure of affirmative action and all the other "appeasement" programs that black people enjoy and white people pay for.

It is a complete waste of time to attempt to debate people like PFOS and Openmind. Now that they are "romancing" each other, I suggest they start picking out drapes and carpet.

Show me where liberal policies have worked for blacks..no liberal can debate me on the democratic party being the slave master without an ad hominem attack or some other absurd fallacy. They don't have a single original thought; it is all sound bytes and clipped phrases.

You can't stand the fact that i'm right. nothing I said is racsist and I believe all men are created equal and should be treated that way.. period!

regards
doug

You know, I would totally have agreed with you if I had never moved to the South! I lived 1/3 of my life in Europe, and 2/3 in the US. Unfortunately, I spend the last 8 years in the South. And although I had NEVER had truly experienced racism on a personal basis, and I had always been totally non-prejudice, I realize that, in the South, the trauma of past (and present) racism is still very much alive.

In fact, I admit that I have always almost over-reacted to racism by making by being even MORE open and kind to anyone whom I thought had been discriminated against. Then, because I came in direct contact with racism in the South, I realize that the whole issue is even more complex than I thought.

You are correct, now, many Black people have reacted against the racial ordeal they have historically been subjected to by becoming suspicious, bitter, angry, and sometime hateful and rejecting of any White person.

I have been treated as a second rate citizens in some stores BECAUSE I was White. And yet, I have avoided reacting to this treatment because I understand where that attitude comes from. I would NOT have accepted to be pushed aside by a White cashier, in favor of another White person, but I did accept those situations coming from Black cashiers who pushed me aside to help Black customers instead.

And I still do not resent it. Because I really believe I would feel the same way they do if I had their history. And by actually experiencing that "second rate citizen" moment, it makes me even MORE aware of what so many Black people are still experiencing today, especially in the South.

I do agree with you that the best thing a young mother can do for her child is to move past that history, to give him/her somewhat of a "blank slate" in terms of race relation. But, the pain is still so deep, that I do understand how difficult it is for many Black people. And, trust me, too many, White "elite" in the South, do not generally let them forget that history!

I have lived in the South too, but mostly in the North. However, I did not witness the racism of which you speak of in the South. I did experience black racism in the South, but not in the North.

I think the segregation of the races is about the same in both regions. You won't find many areas in either region where both races live side by side.

My experience tells me nearly all white people are not racists and most have moved beyond race (how does a black man become president if racism is still a problem?). But, I don't think this is true for many blacks.

Black people were being enslaved for hundreds (actually thousands) of years before July 4, 1776.

But on that date, a nation was created that eventually abolished the practice. Even some of the people who founded it and who owned black slaves themselves, worked to abolish it and eventually succeeded. And their abolition spread to other countries. By now, most of the only countries that still practice black slavery, are (ironically) in Africa itself.

If the nation that now celebrates July 4 hadn't been created as it was, how many more blacks would still be inhumanly enslaved today?

Most whites celebrate it as a >>>PATRIOTIC<<< holiday - apparently few blacks do.

Most whites, blacks, browns, and everyone else celebrate it as an excuse to have a picnic, set off fireworks, kick back and have a little fun.

If you asked 100 random Americans of all backgrounds what happened on the 4th. of July, how many do you think could tell you?

You know, I would totally have agreed with you if I had never moved to the South! I lived 1/3 of my life in Europe, and 2/3 in the US. Unfortunately, I spend the last 8 years in the South.

Well, that explains a lot - you're a euroweenie.

You are correct, now, many Black people have reacted against the racial ordeal they have historically been subjected to by becoming suspicious, bitter, angry, and sometime hateful and rejecting of any White person.

And I still do not resent it. Because I really believe I would feel the same way they do if I had their history.

You almost sound like you think every black who is alive has lived for 500 years, and personally experienced everything blacks experienced in that time. Yet they haven't - it's 150 years after slavery, almost 50 years after jim crow. Blacks under 40 have grown up in an environment where they practically get a free pass through life, where they are endlessly hyped in the media, where everything everyone says has to be carefully filtered to not give them any real or imagined insult, and finally now where one of their own has the top job in the country. Yet the leftwing and the geriatric black political establishment works hard all the time at keeping alive resentment over long-gone conditions and events for purely political reasons. That, by the way, is what the leftwing does in general - damage the country if they thereby can seize more political control - as with promoting the illegal alien invasion.

Werbung:
This post is mainly a load of racist bollocks.

"..Blacks mostly voted Republican from after the Civil War and through the early part of the 20th century. That’s not surprising when one considers that Abraham Lincoln was the first Republican president, and the white, segregationist politicians who governed Southern states in those days were Democrats. The Democratic Party didn’t welcome blacks then, and it wasn’t until 1924 that blacks were even permitted to attend Democratic conventions in any official capacity. Most blacks lived in the South, where they were mostly prevented from voting at all.

The election of Roosevelt in 1932 marked the beginning of a change. He got 71 percent of the black vote for president in 1936 and did nearly that well in the next two elections, according to historical figures kept by the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. But even then, the number of blacks identifying themselves as Republicans was about the same as the number who thought of themselves as Democrats.

It wasn’t until Harry Truman garnered 77 percent of the black vote in 1948 that a majority of blacks reported that they thought of themselves as Democrats. Earlier that year Truman had issued an order desegregating the armed services and an executive order setting up regulations against racial bias in federal employment.

Even after that, Republican nominees continued to get a large slice of the black vote for several elections. Dwight D. Eisenhower got 39 percent in 1956, and Richard Nixon got 32 percent in his narrow loss to John F. Kennedy in 1960.

But then President Lyndon B. Johnson pushed through the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964 (outlawing segregation in public places) and his eventual Republican opponent, Sen. Barry Goldwater, opposed it. Johnson got 94 percent of the black vote that year, still a record for any presidential election.

The following year Johnson signed the 1965 Voting Rights Act. No Republican presidential candidate has gotten more than 15 percent of the black vote since.

Footnote: Younger African American voters have been edging away from the Democratic Party in recent years. David Bositis of the Joint Center notes "a fairly long-term pattern of decreasing identification with the Democrats by younger African Americans." Of course, it remains to be seen what the 2008 campaign will bring.

Sources

Bositis, David A. "Blacks and the 2004 Democratic National Convention." Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, Table 1, Presidential vote and party identification of black Americans, 1936–2000; p. 9.

Bositis, David A. "The Black Vote in 2004," Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, 2005.

Apple Jr., R.W. "G.O.P. Tries Hard to Win Black Votes, but Recent History Works Against It." The New York Times, 19 Sept. 1996.

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/04/blacks-and-the-democratic-party/

Comrade Stalin

Back