British Hostages in Iran

vicki2

So? Will Iran release the British hostages once they've worked out a way to save face, or will this escalate into another Middle Eastern nightmare?

Werbung:
So? Will Iran release the British hostages once they've worked out a way to save face, or will this escalate into another Middle Eastern nightmare?

I certainly hope they get released soon. I think Iran is trying to get attention that later can be really problematic. I guess this little guy Ahmadinejad is just crazy to try his nuclear stuff. I hope he doesn't get too far.

Has anyone seen the video where two of the British subjects supposedly admitted they were in fact in Iran's waters? I find it a little hard to view this credibly under the circumstances, but you do wonder where things will go from here.

We can always be optimistic. I'm worried though. I have to admit that things haven't looked great for the hostages.

Werbung:
Heh, I do think that this is part of a trend to Iranian strategy: short term gains for long term losses. That is to say my initial impression of the particulars is that the confession was forced, the claims are dodgy and the Britishers are not prisoners but hostages.

From that I could say that what Iran as a whole tends to do is make plays that force the hand of their opponents immediately. This comes at the cost of credibility- it'd be kinda hard to take them seriously if you know they only make dishonest plays. What I'd like to know (or be reminded of, anyway) is to what extent Iran is a 'team-player' within the Middle-East, and how pervasive this anti-West/anti-US sentiment is.

What further complicates the matter was the reaction to/reality behind the recent announcement that there was a "possible diplomatic solution"- the Iranian way isn't a united way. You need to know who holds sway over what before trying to get the country to do this or that, and I think that's a pretty big tangle to unsort.

Back