British lawyers in 2011: Declaration of Independence was illegal, treasonable

Little-Acorn

I don't know much about British law of that period, but yes, it wouldn't surprise me if the American Declaration of Independence was against British law at the time. And the Americans who signed it, certainly discussed the idea that they may have been committing "treason" against the British crown.

So sue us.

Fortunately, once the Declaration was adopted on July 4, 1776, British law no longer applied on this side of the pond.

Talk about beating a dead horse.....!

But the British at least get a consolation prize. If we hadn't passed the Declaration, they'd probably be speaking German by now.

--------------------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/2...-treason-british-lawyers-say/?test=latestnews

Declaration of Independence Was 'Illegal,' Grounds for Treason, British Lawyers Say

Published October 20, 2011

The Declaration of Independence was “illegal” and “treasonable,” according to a team of British lawyers, the BBC reports.

The assertion was made at a debate in Philadelphia between British and American lawyers over the legitimacy of the United States of America.

At the debate, pitting British barristers against American attorneys, lawyers for the former colonial power argued that America’s Declaration of Independence in 1776 “was not only illegal, but actually treasonable,” according to the BBC.

The lawyers representing the British team decided that the Americans had no legal grounds for secession. "[President Abraham] Lincoln made the case against secession and he was right."

"The grievances listed in the Declaration were too trivial to justify secession," the British lawyers wrote. "The main one -- no taxation without representation -- was no more than a wish on the part of the colonists, to avoid paying for the expense of protecting them against the French during seven years of arduous war and conflict."

Werbung:
The lawyers representing the British team decided that the Americans had no legal grounds for secession. "[President Abraham] Lincoln made the case against secession and he was right."

Well we were not suing for independence so legality is neither here or there.
Lincoln ignored the documents this country was formed under so was wrong.

So man up England, we kicked your arse.

Besides, they knew it was treasonous but as Virginian Patrick Henry said "give me liberty or give me death".

Back