Bush and the NAACP

kokotai

Wow, is about all I can say about the story on this one. I think Bush leaped to a whole new low bashing his own party to speak to folks he knows want nothing to do with him. I feel like he is right the Republ. party stinks when it comes to dealing with African Americans however I hope his party was paying attention when he used them to get brownie points. Is there no loyality any more?

Werbung:
It was an all time low for Bush, I think. The NAACP is still thought of as a viable organization, but is it? That question is not meant to take away from what I thought was a new low in pandering attempts, but I question 'why'.

Whether or not the NAACP is politically viable, it's still politically symbolic for all of the progress it made during the Civil Rights era and before. And so I think that whatever Bush does in way of pandering, it's still pretty scummy, because of all the things the NAACP represents.

capitalist_junkie said:
Whether or not the NAACP is politically viable, it's still politically symbolic for all of the progress it made during the Civil Rights era and before.

I totally agree on that point. Even if the NAACP only becomes a sort of a figurehead much like the Queen of England, it still serves an important historical purpose and does more good than harm.

I am not a fan of the NAACP. When I say it, people immediately call me a bigot or a racist. I just don't have the same political viewpoints and morals that the NAACP has : affirmative action, reparations, etc...

My question is why are we "handling" blacks differently than other minorities or even whites? Is their something that blacks truly need that asians do not? How about latinos or whites? Shouldn't the government treat its citizens equally and not give benefits to one race and not another?

If discrimination is so widespread, why are other minorities not forming huge lobbying organizations or expressing their viewpoints more than the NAACP?

While I think racism exists against ALL races, I think there is a effort by the NAACP to exaggerate the claims of racism. I also think the NAACP tries to make it sound like racism is in EVERY facet of our lives as if NO progress has been made. By doing this they are securing their future as an organization. Without a racism crisis, they can't demand as much money from the government (if any) and they most likely collect more donations by exaggerating this crisis.

That's a good point.

I really don't believe in the NAACP, either. I'm really against affirmative action. However, like feminist organizations and labor unions, they were once necessary and had a major political impact. They've sort of outlived their usefulness, I think, though.

capitalist_junkie said:
That's a good point.

I really don't believe in the NAACP, either. I'm really against affirmative action. However, like feminist organizations and labor unions, they were once necessary and had a major political impact. They've sort of outlived their usefulness, I think, though.

I agree that many of these organizations have outlived their usefulness however until African Americans are treated the same as everyone else in this country the NAACP is needed. Of course I thinkt hat the other minorities need something too. This country is still run by middle aged white males no matter how you slice it.

Brandon said:
I am not a fan of the NAACP. When I say it, people immediately call me a bigot or a racist. I just don't have the same political viewpoints and morals that the NAACP has : affirmative action, reparations, etc...

My question is why are we "handling" blacks differently than other minorities or even whites? Is their something that blacks truly need that asians do not? How about latinos or whites? Shouldn't the government treat its citizens equally and not give benefits to one race and not another?

If discrimination is so widespread, why are other minorities not forming huge lobbying organizations or expressing their viewpoints more than the NAACP?

While I think racism exists against ALL races, I think there is a effort by the NAACP to exaggerate the claims of racism. I also think the NAACP tries to make it sound like racism is in EVERY facet of our lives as if NO progress has been made. By doing this they are securing their future as an organization. Without a racism crisis, they can't demand as much money from the government (if any) and they most likely collect more donations by exaggerating this crisis.

I think that there is something you are missing here. It is one thing to come to a country and be simply discriminated against but it is entirely another to have been enslaved in that country. That, in my opinion, separates blacks from other races when it comes to racism, which i'm sorry to say is in EVERY facet of our lives whether its done in small ways or out in the open.

Word2Action said:
I think that there is something you are missing here. It is one thing to come to a country and be simply discriminated against but it is entirely another to have been enslaved in that country. That, in my opinion, separates blacks from other races when it comes to racism, which i'm sorry to say is in EVERY facet of our lives whether its done in small ways or out in the open.

Well, we basically enslaved the Chinese, but on a much smaller scale, during the time of the massive coast-to-coast railroad construction across the U.S. Believe me, we did not just enslave one race.

Also, what I mean about the NAACP is that while black people still may not be treated equally in this country, I think the policies and actions of the NAACP have ceased to be helpful. I think there needs to be a new organization or ideology, because civil rights have basically stangnated, and old groups just can't provide the same power anymore.

Weren't the Irish practically enslaved to work the railroads as well? I heard they were given so little pay that all they could do was feed themselves. I could be wrong about this. I come from a big catholic Irish family, so this could be a rumor floating around.

P.S My 100th post!!!
:banana:

kokotai said:
I agree that many of these organizations have outlived their usefulness however until African Americans are treated the same as everyone else in this country the NAACP is needed. Of course I thinkt hat the other minorities need something too. This country is still run by middle aged white males no matter how you slice it.

Since the thread is about the NAACP, I'll keep my comment to that point and not comment on other minorities. The NAACP achieved great things in the 60s and 70s, but now black are matriculated into our society at a very even level. One can single out the poor (especially the Katrina victims) but that was more because of geographics than politics.

I have to disagree with the country being run by middle aged white males with so many minorites and women now heading up major corporations. (Example: Ken Chenault, President of American Express ...black)

However that is still the make up of the government and lets be honest the government is who is running this country right now without considering the impute of the people who elected them. When we elect a black or a minority president I'll be impressed.

But you are referring to Bush really and perhaps the make-up of Congress. America is still, percentage wise, dominated by whites so it makes demographic sense that the populus elects like people.

I think to want a black or minority President just for the sake of electing one accomplishes little in the way of bettering our government for all the people.
What would make a black or minority a better President? The fact that they are a minority or that they're intelligent and know how to make this country run better. The later could come in any form of person, I think, and I'll vote for the person not based on race.

You make a very good point, vicki. However, I do legitimately believe that people would refrain from voting for a qualified candidate just because he/she was black (or a woman). Racism and sexism are not going to go away.

I'm also not sure that America is so dominated by whites at this point. I heard they were well on their way to becoming the minority.

Werbung:
capitalist_junkie said:
Well, we basically enslaved the Chinese, but on a much smaller scale, during the time of the massive coast-to-coast railroad construction across the U.S. Believe me, we did not just enslave one race.

Also, what I mean about the NAACP is that while black people still may not be treated equally in this country, I think the policies and actions of the NAACP have ceased to be helpful. I think there needs to be a new organization or ideology, because civil rights have basically stangnated, and old groups just can't provide the same power anymore.

Not like the government is doing much more with its policies and actions. And if they're not doing all they can, then how much can we really expect from private companies.

Back