Bush's Speech

tater03

Did anyone see this last night? I missed it. I went to bed early with a sinus infection and have not caught any news as of yet today. So did he change the policy on the war? I know he was suppoused to send more troops over.

Werbung:
I didn't see it either. I avoided it, to be honest, figuring I'd be better off reading the rehash all the news outlets would provide. From what I've seen so far, he does plan on increasing troop strength.

Correct. He intends to send 21,500 troops to Iraq- mainly to Baghdad.

The really funny thing is that he attempted a rhetorical bait and switch. In what appeared to be a pleasantly surprising (and much awaited) change of heart, he started the speech with something along the lines of "Things really aren't going to plan, I'm sorry."

But then this is Bush's agenda, so there had to be a catch: His speech used this as a device to soften everybody up for the sudden turn- "this is why we need to send even more troops to Iraq! It was so obvious...we should have done this way sooner." It is little surprise that at this point the Dems staged a walkout.

The situation seems clear- This is the last chance and one would reasonably hope that the strategy better work this time around otherwise it will fairly correctly be billed as a variation on a theme by Vietnam.

Will it work? I have to say I don't think so. The situation is much bigger than Baghdad and this move appears to signal that Bush has failed to realise this- or rather, even if he had, thought it was too late to adopt a better strategy.

P.S. I also see that John Howard has, characteristically, echoed support by saying maybe he might send more troops to Iraq too. RRRGH!!!

Our DVR unit isn't working and won't be checked on until tomorrow. So, the only thing I've seen is what's been online. Of course, there is support and non-support, based on who you read. I'll wait to reserve judgment until I have a better chance to see what's going on. Do I think we need more troops in Iraq? I honestly don't know. I'm sure the ones that are there need to come home for a rest.

I think mamab's opinion is the right one. I thought his speech was a good one. I think the options he outlined are a good way forward, but we will have to see what happens. I have seen the text of the speech online a few places, so anyone wanting to see it can find it in a few places.

Thanks, I would have to agree that it is about time he made this decision. It should have been done along time ago. I'm with you I cannot help but wonder if it is a case of a little to late. I just hope that something gives soon. I feel for all the families that have relatives there or headed there. It has got to be getting old for them and the men serving.

Sorry, should have said men and women serving over in Iraq. Did not mean any thing by that.

Our DVR unit isn't working and won't be checked on until tomorrow. So, the only thing I've seen is what's been online. Of course, there is support and non-support, based on who you read. I'll wait to reserve judgment until I have a better chance to see what's going on. Do I think we need more troops in Iraq? I honestly don't know. I'm sure the ones that are there need to come home for a rest.

I think this is the most logical approach to the situation as it exists today. What I am hoping is that perhaps this will be enough to get things situated so we will be able to pull out incrementally later in the year. IMO we are now caught between that proverbial rock and hard place - too deep into it to just leave, but still needing to remove ourselves from the situation when the time is right.

I think this is the most logical approach to the situation as it exists today. What I am hoping is that perhaps this will be enough to get things situated so we will be able to pull out incrementally later in the year. IMO we are now caught between that proverbial rock and hard place - too deep into it to just leave, but still needing to remove ourselves from the situation when the time is right.

The good news is this: We aren't the only ones between a rock and a hard place. Al-Queda has also said internarly that they are in trouble. They can't leave Iraq until we are willing to leave, and they can't beat our military. Doesn't help much, but it is something.

Werbung:
The good news is this: We aren't the only ones between a rock and a hard place. Al-Queda has also said internarly that they are in trouble. They can't leave Iraq until we are willing to leave, and they can't beat our military. Doesn't help much, but it is something.

I had heard that too.

I also heard that the UK is deploying more military to Iraq as well. Has anyone else heard whether it was for additional presence, or are they replacing some of the existing troops?

Back