Buy American? Help the economy? No Way! Not our Dictator!

HankHill

So good ole' Barak Sadama decides he doesn't want to buy American. What kind of patriotism does this crap show?

President Barack Obama’s entreaties to “buy American” to improve the economy apparently doesn’t include the fleet of new Marine One helicopters he’ll soon be shuttled around in.

The Pentagon is spending $11.2 billion for 23 European-designed, British-built helicopters to replace the aging squadron of American aircraft used by American presidents for the past 30 years.

Critics of the presidential purchase claim the contract for the new Lockheed Martin “US101” variant of the Italian choppers violates a decades-old law that requires weapons systems and components used by the U.S. military to be made primarily in the United States.

http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/president_helicopters_usa/2009/03/02/187321.html

Werbung:
Your making issue about this? Are you joking me? The choice for the AugustWestland 101 was made several years ago, before Obama even ran for office.

I can understand taking issue with plenty of things Obama is doing, that is fine and what we are all here for, to talk politics. But your displeasure here is misplaced. Bottom line.

Your making issue about this? Are you joking me? The choice for the AugustWestland 101 was made several years ago, before Obama even ran for office.

I knew about that part but there is another twist in the story but dang if I can remember what it was

Its a non issue to me, I thought he canceled the whole thing anyways

I knew about that part but there is another twist in the story but dang if I can remember what it was

You might be thinking about the new mid-air refueler to replace the very aged KC-135. There has been much hooplah over that deal because the replacement was an Airbus, and there was some accusations of Boeing more or less bribing some Pentagon brass.

As for anything being cancelled, that sort of thing, especially when it comes to Presidential transportation, it would be rare. I am sure there is a way that any President could say we arent interested in (fill in the blank) aircraft.

But with the way the Pentagon goes through the procurement of airplanes is quite stringent and probably the way it should be, because there is truck loads of money at risk, and of course lives. Not to mention the lives of elected officials.

I don't believe we need to be including "buy American" clauses in much of anything. Protectionist policies do not work in an age of globalization.

Bunz,

I saw obama on the news talking bout how he thought he would cancel them because the helecopter he has now is as good as any.

are these for the military or for the president? Maybe I am thinking of the wrong copters?

You might be thinking about the new mid-air refueler to replace the very aged KC-135. There has been much hooplah over that deal because the replacement was an Airbus, and there was some accusations of Boeing more or less bribing some Pentagon brass.

As for anything being cancelled, that sort of thing, especially when it comes to Presidential transportation, it would be rare. I am sure there is a way that any President could say we arent interested in (fill in the blank) aircraft.

But with the way the Pentagon goes through the procurement of airplanes is quite stringent and probably the way it should be, because there is truck loads of money at risk, and of course lives. Not to mention the lives of elected officials.

This is what I was thinking about, I probably was thinking about something different than the thread starter. I should not post on stuff like this :)

a part of the link I was thinking of:

During a question-and-answer session at Obama's "Fiscal Responsibility Summit," Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., raised the helicopter issue with Obama.

"We all know that ... your helicopter is now going to cost as much as Air Force One. I don't think that there's any more graphic demonstration of how good ideas have cost the taxpayers an enormous amount of money," McCain said.

Obama responded that he had "already talked to Gates about a thorough review" and added that the current Marine One helicopter seems perfectly adequate.

"Of course, I've never had a helicopter before. You know? Maybe, you know, maybe I've been deprived and I didn't know it," Obama quipped.

The whole story

http://www.connpost.com/ci_11768287

I think there is some twist to this story but I cant remember off hand what it was. But I heard it from a liberal so I could be wrong :)

the fact that Obama may be canceling the contract and that the contract was under Bush..

also what ever happened to the free market, they made a better chopper they get the deal?

regardless Obama already stated they may not update the thing anyway.

the fact that Obama may be canceling the contract and that the contract was under Bush..

also what ever happened to the free market, they made a better chopper they get the deal?

regardless Obama already stated they may not update the thing anyway.

You are always so quick to attack me

read the other posts by me just below that first post

Ill give you highlights

I saw obama on the news talking bout how he thought he would cancel them because the helecopter he has now is as good as any.

This is what I was thinking about, I probably was thinking about something different than the thread starter. I should not post on stuff like this

During a question-and-answer session at Obama's "Fiscal Responsibility Summit," Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., raised the helicopter issue with Obama.

"We all know that ... your helicopter is now going to cost as much as Air Force One. I don't think that there's any more graphic demonstration of how good ideas have cost the taxpayers an enormous amount of money," McCain said.

Obama responded that he had "already talked to Gates about a thorough review" and added that the current Marine One helicopter seems perfectly adequate.

"Of course, I've never had a helicopter before. You know? Maybe, you know, maybe I've been deprived and I didn't know it," Obama quipped.

The whole story

http://www.connpost.com/ci_11768287.

This is what I was thinking about, I probably was thinking about something different than the thread starter. I should not post on stuff like this :)

The whole story

http://www.connpost.com/ci_11768287

I find it amusing that McCain is taking issue with this spending, and he knows full well that he is throwing out a red herring. McCain is talking about a FLEET of helicopters versus a single 747. 28 helicopters versus one jet. And as I said before, the entire procurement process is very thorough, and I remember reading a fair amount about the decision and was a bit unnerved by the POTUS flying around in a eurocan. But the 101 was chosen over several different US designed and made models because it fit the mission parameters best. And BTW, it wasnt the most expensive.

If I were President, there is no question I would probably immediatly ditch whatever helicopter was in use and have one of these for my personal transport.
rah-66_commanche.jpg

Werbung:
attack? umm you said you where missing something so I posted things you may have been looking for....trust me, you know when I attack you....

PFOS, turn down the Battle of Los Angeles a little and realize everyone is playing nice in this thread. :D No reason for escalation here.

Lets remain respectful and on topic...imagine that.
(I give this little bit of advice about 3 posts before it is utterly ignored.:cool:)

Back