Cafe Owner Sacks 21 Employees As Consequence Of OWS

dogtowner

Staff member
ouch

I was wondering when this was going to start. All this disruption has an impact in the lives of the people down there. Make your statement then go home. At this point all you are doing is hurting the very people they claim to want to help.

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The Occupy Wall Street movement, which says its goals include improving the economic lot for 99 percent of Americans, may have some explaining to do to some cafe workers now out of a job.
Mark Epstein, owner of the Milk Street Cafe at 40 Wall Street, just let 21 employees go.
The reason? The barricades police have set up throughout Wall Street as a consequence of the ongoing demonstration.
In June, he opened the New York branch of the Boston shop, which has a 30 year history. Epstein says he leased the space on Wall Street because it was next to a pedestrian plaza – and his was the only restaurant along that plaza.
“The opening was perfect,” Epstein told CBSNewYork.com. “The food was delicious, the customers were happy, and the line was out the door.”
Customers kept coming back, Epstein said.
“Everything was going in the right direction. Sales continued to grow. We started to build our catering business. Costs were going down. I felt that by October or November we would break even.”
Then the OccupyWallStreet movement launched.
“I came one Monday morning and I found the exit by the 2 or 3 subway station closed. I saw all these barriers – barricades – all up and down my street,” Epstein said. “At first I thought nothing of it, but after a week… it’s been six or seven weeks now.”

Six or seven weeks of marches and occasional clashes between police and protesters. So the barricades have remained in place.
“The end result of it is that it completely destroyed the pedestrian traffic on Wall Street. Completely destroyed it,” Epstein said. “It is a desolate, police-controlled area.”
The cafe has a capacity of 150 seats. At the height of lunch hour Tuesday, Epstein estimated the shop was half full. With those sorts of numbers, he’s had to let people go.
“We eliminated 21 positions in the company,” Epstein said. “First time in 30 years I’ve laid anybody off.”
They’ve also cut back their hours at the New York location, closing now at 3 p.m. instead of 9 p.m.

Werbung:
ouch

I was wondering when this was going to start. All this disruption has an impact in the lives of the people down there. Make your statement then go home. At this point all you are doing is hurting the very people they claim to want to help.

Doesn't it say "The barricades set up by the police?"

There was no need for barricades for a peaceful protest, and the protesters need coffee too. . .Actually, I bet the pizza place is pretty happy with all the WORLD WIDE order for Pizza deliverty to OWS he is getting!

And how about all those "street vendors?" feeding off OWS?

Get a live!

I would be after the police to lift the barracades. with all the interest in the protest he should be doing gangbusters. Why don't you look up the stories of all the people that profited from this protest? I am sure there are plenty, god knows NBC is making a fortune. Capitalism, you gotta love it.

Doesn't it say "The barricades set up by the police?"

There was no need for barricades for a peaceful protest, and the protesters need coffee too. . .Actually, I bet the pizza place is pretty happy with all the WORLD WIDE order for Pizza deliverty to OWS he is getting!

And how about all those "street vendors?" feeding off OWS?

Get a live!

The police, responsible for insuring that things remain peaceful, deemed that for a variety of reasons that they were necessary. That there were regularly an angry crowd present drove the foot traffic down, ergo sales fall off.

Maybe the folks at the cafe can get a job delivering pizza for tips.

The police, responsible for insuring that things remain peaceful, deemed that for a variety of reasons that they were necessary. That there were regularly an angry crowd present drove the foot traffic down, ergo sales fall off.

Maybe the folks at the cafe can get a job delivering pizza for tips.

The police ONLY CREATED problems! They didn't "keep the peace," they broke it.

And still, the protesters are being peaceful! Amazing. So proud of them!

And, yes. . .I'm sure there are a LOT of jobs being created by OWS. . .in fact, they may already have saved quite a few "police jobs" who seem to be under attack by the GOP as well. . .until they become "necessary" to harrass peaceful protesters!

The police ONLY CREATED problems! They didn't "keep the peace," they broke it.

And still, the protesters are being peaceful! Amazing. So proud of them!

And, yes. . .I'm sure there are a LOT of jobs being created by OWS. . .in fact, they may already have saved quite a few "police jobs" who seem to be under attack by the GOP as well. . .until they become "necessary" to harrass peaceful protesters!

wonder who or what gets cut to pay the OT the cops are racking up...

Werbung:
Back