Calif state Supreme Court upholds Prop 8 ban on same-sex marriage

Little-Acorn

Calif state Supreme Court upholds Prop 8 ban on same-sex "marriages"

Thank God.

The Court also ruled that the same-sex "marriages" that were made before this ruling, remain married. Except for the ones that have already divorced. Which is quite a few more than opposite-sex marriages that have divorced, that were made during that period.

Just hear this on ABC radio in San Diego.

Werbung:
Thank God.

The Court also ruled that the same-sex "marriages" that were made before this ruling, remain married. Except for the ones that have already divorced. Which is quite a few more than opposite-sex marriages that have divorced, that were made during that period.

Just hear this on ABC radio in San Diego.

That was pretty much expected....what's good news for those who care about individual rights and bad news for the religious fascists is that the 18,000 couples already married will remain so and are now official...Thank God.

Well, now what grounds are they going to appeal with? In other words in the State of CA, is this the last they'll hear of it?

Well, now what grounds are they going to appeal with? In other words in the State of CA, is this the last they'll hear of it?

What was interesting to me was that they did not rule on the issue of gay marriage, they said they ruled on the initiative process. And the fact that they allowed the 18,000 marriages to stand suggests that gay marriage was acceptable.

Now we are in the position of having another abrogation of the equal protection clause of the US Constitution because some gay people are accepted into marriage and the rest are not. Had the California Supreme Court set aside the 18,000 marriages--which they could have done--they would have rubberstamped the legality of the vote, but they did not do that. This is going to the US Supreme Court. The battle for civil rights goes on.

It will probably go to the US Supreme Court and/or a petition drive will start to put the issue back on the ballot again and it will keep going up until it's reversed. This is kinda like trying to take the vote away from women because a particular state decided it wasn't such a good idea after all.

It's just a matter of time. Eventually gay marriage won't even be something controversial.

I am glad the court did not over turn the peoples voice, but I think the homosexual community should get it back on the ballot and do their best to educate NOT BULLY others into seeing things their way. If the next vote goes for homosexual marriage then ok but dont over turn what the people said, and if the people vote the other way that should not be over turned either.

Well I for one would like to see a list of which fetishes [a complete list, not just GLBT] are going to be allowed in marriage. Also we should be hearing soon from polygamists. It will be a very interesting decade coming up for sure for marriage. I predict we will soon be living in multisexual communal-type arrangments where literally anything goes in the name of love.

I know I know...sounds wild and completely implausible right? Humans would never take someting like this and....

What was interesting to me was that they did not rule on the issue of gay marriage, they said they ruled on the initiative process. And the fact that they allowed the 18,000 marriages to stand suggests that gay marriage was acceptable.

Now we are in the position of having another abrogation of the equal protection clause of the US Constitution because some gay people are accepted into marriage and the rest are not. Had the California Supreme Court set aside the 18,000 marriages--which they could have done--they would have rubberstamped the legality of the vote, but they did not do that. This is going to the US Supreme Court. The battle for civil rights goes on.

Everyone has equal right to marry. Marriage is between a man and a women. That is equal to everyone. There is no abrogation of the equal protection clause.

Hey, Mare...did you ever see an actual ballot for the Prop. #8?

The reason that I'm asking was; I was listening to some NPR {national public radio} and the topic was "how confusing the wording on the Prop. #8 ballot was"! It seemed that there were quite a few voters who thought that their vote for the Prop.#8 was 'for' the 'rights of gays to marry' but then when the election officials explained it to them afterwards they realized they had just voted 'against the right of gays to marry'. Was the ballot written in a way to obfuscate the vote?

And that sentence that I put in bold font...you might not want to correct the wrong thinking person on here that doesn't believe that there is any 'higher court' then the California Supreme Court...ROTFLMAO

The shock of learning something 'NEW' might be a real light-bulb moment...LOL

Well I for one would like to see a list of which fetishes [a complete list, not just GLBT] are going to be allowed in marriage. Also we should be hearing soon from polygamists. It will be a very interesting decade coming up for sure for marriage. I predict we will soon be living in multisexual communal-type arrangments where literally anything goes in the name of love.

I know I know...sounds wild and completely implausible right? Humans would never take someting like this and....

Yes completely implausable... apples to oranges implausible.

Everyone has equal right to marry. Marriage is between a man and a women. That is equal to everyone. There is no abrogation of the equal protection clause.

I don't see that marriage is between a man and a woman anywhere in the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, Bill of Rights... nowhere.

Perhaps you could point it out to us?

I do find it in religious dogma that we are supposed to be protected from having imposed on us from one religious sect to another.

Thank you, Andy, and do you know who first coined that argument? The KKK when they argued against inter-racial marriage by saying that any white man could marry a white woman, and any black man could marry a black woman, therefore denying inter-racial marriage was not discriminatory.

Didn't work then, won't work now.

Hey, Mare...did you ever see an actual ballot for the Prop. #8?

The reason that I'm asking was; I was listening to some NPR {national public radio} and the topic was "how confusing the wording on the Prop. #8 ballot was"! It seemed that there were quite a few voters who thought that their vote for the Prop.#8 was 'for' the 'rights of gays to marry' but then when the election officials explained it to them afterwards they realized they had just voted 'against the right of gays to marry'. Was the ballot written in a way to obfuscate the vote?

And that sentence that I put in bold font...you might not want to correct the wrong thinking person on here that doesn't believe that there is any 'higher court' then the California Supreme Court...ROTFLMAO

The shock of learning something 'NEW' might be a real light-bulb moment...LOL

No, I live in Oregon so I never saw the actual ballots. The war isn't over, the struggle for civil rights is seemingly endless because there is so much ignorance and fear. When I read Siho's posts I just marvel at the technicolor horrors she conjures up out of nothing but a lack of education and soul full of fear. What a sad way to live.

I am glad the court did not over turn the peoples voice, but I think the homosexual community should get it back on the ballot and do their best to educate NOT BULLY others into seeing things their way. If the next vote goes for homosexual marriage then ok but dont over turn what the people said, and if the people vote the other way that should not be over turned either.

yea, fact is that the majority has ruled that they dont have rights , so they should be nice about it. Majority also use to say that blacks where property....

Werbung:
yea, fact is that the majority has ruled that they dont have rights , so they should be nice about it. Majority also use to say that blacks where property....

After centuries of subjugation women should have just accepted that they were inferior beings and not campaigned for equality.

Back