Can the Republicans win in '16?

PLC1

Staff member
A year from Election Day, GOP faces chaos it hoped to avoid

WASHINGTON (AP) — After a devastating loss in the 2012 presidential election, the Republican Party entered a period of intense self-reflection and emerged with a firm promise to learn from its mistakes.

The GOP vowed to avoid a prolonged and vicious 2016 primary. It concluded it must embrace an overhaul of the nation's immigration laws and adopt a more welcoming tone to win over women and minorities.

Yet a year from Election Day 2016, the GOP primary is a rough and bumpy competition.

"Devastatingly, we have lost the ability to be persuasive with, or welcoming to, those who do not agree with us on every issue," the report found. In addition to an improved tone, the RNC outlined a single policy imperative: "We must embrace and champion comprehensive immigration reform. If we do not, our party's appeal will continue to shrink to its core constituencies only."

Last time around, after losing despite having (IMO, at least) clearly the better candidate, the Republicans decided on what had to be done to win next time around. Instead, they appear to be intent on losing once again.

At least, that's the way it looks to Steve Peoples, Lisa Lerer. and to me. What do you think?

Werbung:
The world is seeing immigration in a new light lately and it does not like what it sees.
In 2016 pro people are rapidly becoming the fringe.

The world is seeing immigration in a new light lately and it does not like what it sees.
Do you think that, should the Republicans win in '16, they'll finally and at long last actually put an end to illegal immigration?

I don't.

I don't think Lucy will let Charlie Brown kick the football, either.

It's a matter of past behavior.

Do you think that, should the Republicans win in '16, they'll finally and at long last actually put an end to illegal immigration?

I don't.

I don't think Lucy will let Charlie Brown kick the football, either.

It's a matter of past behavior.
You said voters won't vote gop if it has no comprehensive immigration proposal. I just pointed out voters may not care. Given what just happened in San Fran (of all places) I may just be onto something.
We were not discussing what may or may not happen with illegals.

A year from Election Day, GOP faces chaos it hoped to avoid

Last time around, after losing despite having (IMO, at least) clearly the better candidate, the Republicans decided on what had to be done to win next time around. Instead, they appear to be intent on losing once again.

At least, that's the way it looks to Steve Peoples, Lisa Lerer. and to me. What do you think?
I don't know BUT
From coast to coast, conservatives score huge victories in off-year elections."

Did that much really happen? There's Matt Bevin, elected governor in Kentucky, and there's the failure of the Houston Equal Right Ordinance, but what else? Ohio's rejection of the weird marijuana legalization scheme wasn't necessarily a conservative matter, because of the odd way it would have empowered an elite group of growers. Democrats in Virginia couldn't pick up even one seat to get to a majority in the state Senate, and San Francisco voted out the sheriff who stood for the "sanctuary city" policy.

So some will say it is no big deal that Democrats have been so deflated by the Obama presidency that they have given up voting? Low voter turnout is an easy effect on which to lay blame. But what of the root causes..

Bevin ran on school choice and ending KYnect, KY's Obamacare plan, and he and his black, female Lt. Gov. campaigned heavily in urban Louisville areas, as well as in traditional Republican areas. The party unified behind him in the closing days and they helped offset some of his tremendous financial disadvantage against the Dems.

This was an ass-whipping and a huge wake-up call to the Dems for next year. Predictably, however, the usual suspects on the left are not heeding the warning.

I don't know BUT

This was an ass-whipping and a huge wake-up call to the Dems for next year. Predictably, however, the usual suspects on the left are not heeding the warning.

We have seen all of this before, and all one has to do is remind the people what happened last time Republicans controlled all three branches of government. Endless unpaid for war, massive increases in illegal immigration, the loss of jobs, the loss of home ownership, the rise of the 1%, etc.

So we really want to see that again?

Until the Independents actually throw their hat in the ring I will support Bernie Sanders. The rest are just a bunch of lying opportunists trying to con the people again.

We have seen all of this before, and all one has to do is remind the people what happened last time Republicans controlled all three branches of government. Endless unpaid for war, massive increases in illegal immigration, the loss of jobs, the loss of home ownership, the rise of the 1%, etc.

Until the Independents actually throw their hat in the ring I will support Bernie Sanders. The rest are just a bunch of lying opportunists trying to con the people again.
Trapper, In my heart I believe you are one of the most honest people on this board and I respect that more than you know.. But I have lost all respect for most of our leaders, Democrat and Republican.. what i'm looking for is honesty, morality, pro-life, and less government. I believe Bernie Sanders only meets one of my needs, I believe him to be an honest man. Thank you for your time spent here.. I enjoy reading your post ..

This graphic was created by staff from the House Ways and Means Committee to represent the 80+ federal benefit programs and services for low-income people in the United States.

House Ways and Means Human Resources Subcommittee, November 3, 2015.

It was unveiled at a hearing yesterday on better coordinating welfare programs for families in need before the House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Human Resources.

From Chairman Charles Boustany (R-LA):

What it shows is, in short, a mess. This system may have started out with good intentions, but it has become a confusing maze of programs that are overlapping, duplicative, poorly coordinated, and difficult to administer. I defy anyone to say this is the best way to address the human tragedy so many of our fellow citizens experience.

It is no wonder that federal spending for these programs totaled $744 billion in FY2013, based on a 2015 report by the Congressional Research Service. That’s approximately $6,500 for every American household. The House Ways and Means Committee seems interested in “efforts to modernize and streamline or, at the very least, better coordinate these programs to help more people achieve opportunity and upward mobility.” That seems like a good start.

bullshit, republicans care about immigration the same way they do about the Debt..Only when not in power. Thats why they have already said they will do zero about it for the next year, because can't fix the system that Obama has talked about being willing to do for years...because you will lose the latino vote ( to late)

The white male fundamentalist vote is not going to keep winning elections, only hope is Gerrymandering like always.

This graphic was created by staff from the House Ways and Means Committee to represent the 80+ federal benefit programs and services for low-income people in the United States.

House Ways and Means Human Resources Subcommittee, November 3, 2015.

It was unveiled at a hearing yesterday on better coordinating welfare programs for families in need before the House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Human Resources.

What it shows is, in short, a mess. This system may have started out with good intentions, but it has become a confusing maze of programs that are overlapping, duplicative, poorly coordinated, and difficult to administer. I defy anyone to say this is the best way to address the human tragedy so many of our fellow citizens experience.

It is no wonder that federal spending for these programs totaled $744 billion in FY2013, based on a 2015 report by the Congressional Research Service. That’s approximately $6,500 for every American household. The House Ways and Means Committee seems interested in “efforts to modernize and streamline or, at the very least, better coordinate these programs to help more people achieve opportunity and upward mobility.” That seems like a good start.

How many years have we been hearing about the overlap in federal programs? I remember the Republicans talking about when Clinton was Prez. Wasn't the Contract with America suppose to solve that problem?

bullshit, republicans care about immigration the same way they do about the Debt..Only when not in power. Thats why they have already said they will do zero about it for the next year, because can't fix the system that Obama has talked about being willing to do for years...because you will lose the latino vote ( to late)

The white male fundamentalist vote is not going to keep winning elections, only hope is Gerrymandering like always.

Liberals, Please use your comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

Liberals, Please use your comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

He does have a point. Republicans first began to promise to secure the border, etc., under Reagan. Now we have 11 million + instead of 3 million. No w we have women coming here on tourist visas to give birth so their child will be an American citizen. 40% of the illegals came here legally, and then ignored the expiration of their visas. And yet when the Republicans controlled all three branches of government they did nothing to secure the borders, enforce visa laws, etc. However, they did support the Dream Act, and CAFTA.

He does have a point. Republicans first began to promise to secure the border, etc., under Reagan. Now we have 11 million + instead of 3 million. No w we have women coming here on tourist visas to give birth so their child will be an American citizen. 40% of the illegals came here legally, and then ignored the expiration of their visas. And yet when the Republicans controlled all three branches of government they did nothing to secure the borders, enforce visa laws, etc. However, they did support the Dream Act, and CAFTA.
History shows us, We have already been burned once by false promises of border security in exchange for tying security to other aspects of the immigration debate. President Reagan, in 1986, signed the Immigration Reform and Control Act, which legalized close to 3 million undocumented immigrants. The laws was supposed to be a comprehensive solution with provisions intended to clamp down on border security. These provisions were never enforced, and the subsequent explosion in illegal crossings has resulted in some 11 million illegal aliens living in the United States today. An estimated 1.8 million illegal immigrants are currently residing in Texas, compared with 1.1 million in 2000. In ten years, that represents an increase of 54 percent, or 70,000 persons each year coming to our state illegally.

In 1986 I voted for the Simpson-Mazzoli immigration bill because we were told it would solve the problem of massive illegal immigration. In his diaries, President Ronald Reagan said he was going to sign the bill because we had to regain control of our borders. The Simpson-Mazzoli bill contained three promises:
  1. The government would make a concerted effort to control the borders.
  2. An effective employer verification program would ensure that only legal workers were hired.
  3. One-time amnesty would be granted for people illegally in the United States.
All three promises were broken. The government has made no serious effort to control our borders. Employers continue knowingly to hire illegal immigrants without any real fear of punishment.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Ronald_Reagan_Immigration.htm

Werbung:
We are not talking republicans, we are talking VOTERS.

All pols fail but the question is whether lack of a comprehensive policy to facilitate immigration will doom the GOP in 2016.
I think Average Joe does not care and if they do its more like slam the door.

Back