Can Trump pardon himself before he leaves the White House?

reedak

1. ....Could Trump use the power to pardon himself? Trump clearly believes he does, as he said in 2018: "As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong?"...

Trump has not been charged with any crimes, but faces at least nine possible lawsuits after leaving office, including a criminal probe into his business activities by Manhattan Attorney General Cyrus Vance.

But the presidential pardoning power only applies to federal crimes, so would not apply to any of the nine lawsuits currently being pursued.

Trump enjoys broad immunities from federal probes as president, and there are currently no known federal investigations being conducted into possible crimes by Trump.

But that could hypothetically change after January 20, when he leaves office....

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/can-trump-pardon-himself-2020-11

2. On November 24, 2020, President Donald J. Trump continued the time-honored White House tradition of officially pardoning the National Thanksgiving Turkey!

This year’s candidates for National Thanksgiving Turkey were “Corn” and “Cob!”

After a close vote, Americans chose “Corn,” a 42 lb. bird from Iowa, as this year’s honoree.

Corn and Cob were raised by Ron Kardel, National Turkey Federation Chairman and a 6th generation turkey, corn, and soybean farmer from Walcott, Iowa! After the pardoning ceremony at the White House, both turkeys are retiring to their new home on the campus of Iowa State University....

Source: https://www.whitehouse.gov/gobble/

3. If both turkeys could talk, they might tell Trump: "Why should we need your pardon when we have done nothing wrong? We prefer dying than living the rest of our lives with the alleged sins we have never committed. The only sin we have committed is being born as food for man. If you could pardon yourself, we welcome you to join us in our new home on the campus of Iowa State University." :)

Werbung:
Back