Can you believe this is happening in the 21st. century?

PLC1

Staff member
Sludge tested in poor neighborhoods as lead-poisoning fix

BALTIMORE – Scientists using federal grants spread fertilizer made from human and industrial wastes on yards in poor, black neighborhoods to test whether it might protect children from lead poisoning in the soil. Families were assured the sludge was safe and were never told about any harmful ingredients.
Nine low-income families in Baltimore row houses agreed to let researchers till the sewage sludge into their yards and plant new grass. In exchange, they were given food coupons as well as the free lawns as part of a study published in 2005 and funded by the Housing and Urban Development Department.

Do they really need to test their ideas on human gunea pigs?

Can you imagine going to the suburbs with such an experiment?:eek:

Werbung:
Do they really need to test their ideas on human gunea pigs?

Can you imagine going to the suburbs with such an experiment?:eek:

no they really shouldn't but this is less a test on harmful effects, but rather a test on whether it provides a benefit or not. Cow poo isn't any worse than human poo really... I mean we use that in farms everywhere... It just sounds gross.

no they really shouldn't but this is less a test on harmful effects, but rather a test on whether it provides a benefit or not. Cow poo isn't any worse than human poo really... I mean we use that in farms everywhere... It just sounds gross.

It isn't cow poo that they're using, but sewer sludge. There could be any number of harmful chemicals in it that the experimenters don't know about.

While I do disagree with this you have to bear in mind these people did agree to have this sewer sludge on their lawns - if they cant work out sewage sludge might be harmful then they're morons.

But then again, have any harmful effects come from this or were the scientists right?

While I do disagree with this you have to bear in mind these people did agree to have this sewer sludge on their lawns - if they cant work out sewage sludge might be harmful then they're morons.

But then again, have any harmful effects come from this or were the scientists right?

None are known at this time. It is possible that the lab rats will suffer no ill effects at all.

The question, if the experiment is successful, how do you implement it? Home recycled waste stations? Recycling your own crap. The way of the future.

Yeah, I mean, I'm sure they did it because they are morons. It couldn't be because they're poor and they were offered free food for agreeing to be guinea pigs or anything. Let's try to have a bit of empathy. Just a little.

I don't see how this is okay. How about we only experiment on people who can afford attorneys to read all the fine print for them before they sign anything?

Yeah, I mean, I'm sure they did it because they are morons. It couldn't be because they're poor and they were offered free food for agreeing to be guinea pigs or anything. Let's try to have a bit of empathy. Just a little.

I don't see how this is okay. How about we only experiment on people who can afford attorneys to read all the fine print for them before they sign anything?
Is it not the law that the consent has to be "informed consent"? Or is that only certain, specific situations?.

Was the experiment successful? Seriously. Did it work? Do you care if it did or not?

Was the experiment successful? Seriously. Did it work? Do you care if it did or not?
If there are any results from this experiment, they haven't been published, or at least I can't find them if they were. I'm guessing that nothing was done to follow up, but that's just a guess.

If there are any results from this experiment, they haven't been published, or at least I can't find them if they were. I'm guessing that nothing was done to follow up, but that's just a guess.

Who was in charge in 2005? Hmmmm....

Anyway, evidently they have been using this on farm fields for a couple of decades. I'd be interested in knowing if they still do. I know there was a big flap made about Mexican farmers using human waste as fertilizer some time back.

http://www.life.ca/naturallife/9712/sludge.htm

"A U.S. government study reported in May, 2014 in Environmental Health News found traces of prescription drugs and household chemicals deep in the soil as a result of a couple of decades of use of biosolids as fertilizer. Researchers, including hydrologists for the U.S. Geological Survey, tested an eastern Colorado wheat field that used treated sludge from a Denver sewage treatment plant. Chemicals in antibacterial soaps, cleaners, cosmetics, fragrances and prescription drugs such as Prozac and Warfarin not only persisted in the topsoil, but migrated downwards.

The study detected ten chemicals in the soil at depths between seven and fifty inches eighteen months after the sludge application. Other studies have found hormones, detergents, fragrances, drugs, disinfectants, and plasticizers in treated sludge used as fertilizer. But this is the first study to show how they can persist and move in soil. The antibacterial compound triclosan, which is used in soaps, toothpastes, and cosmetics, was found at the highest concentrations in the deep soil. The U.S Food and Drug Administration is concerned that triclosan and other antibacterials could be contributing to antibiotic resistance. It has also has been linked to altered thyroid hormones and estrogen-related reproductive effects."

Ask yourself if they are informable.
But obviously they were more than willing to be bought. This is a conditioned response now.

Poverty stricken doesn't necessarily mean stupid. Some people are poor due to circumstances beyond their control or are temporarily in a bad place.

A lot of people are willing to be bought when they're hungry. I hope none of us ever have to find out what it's like to be in such a position.

Werbung:
Ask yourself if they are informable.
But obviously they were more than willing to be bought. This is a conditioned response now.

As it is with the right wing. Do you think all of the promises Trump is making are even feasible?

Exporting 11 million illegals? Aside from the cost, are you going to go and pick lettuce?

Building up the military? From what? Are not more unmanned drones, missiles, good enough?

Raising taxes on the wealthy? Well, not really. He just isn't going to cut them as much as some would like.

And the list goes on.

Back