Can you support out troops and still be against the war?

Can you support out troops and still be against the war?

• Yes

Votes: 76 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 27.9%

• Total voters
Like I've said numerous times, the Iraqi insurgents aren't terrorists. I support directing our attacks toward Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups, but fighting the insurgents is simply wasting lives and not really doing anything.

You couldn't be much more wrong.

(a) There are terrorists in Iraq. I see the goddamn yellow and black al Qaeda flag virtually every day. So don't tell me you support attacking al Qaeda but don't support the Iraq War.

(b) Even if the insurgents weren't comprised of terrorists we'd still be accomplishing our primary goal: making America safer. Through establishing a democratic gov't we would have an additional ally in the Middle East (the other being Israel) who would further our fight against terrorism. We would, by definition, be shutting down the terror training camps previously operating within Iraq's borders. We'd be preventing a terrorist state from taking hold in the Middle East, potentially with nuclear capabilities.

You just have no clue.

Werbung:
You couldn't be much more wrong.

(a) There are terrorists in Iraq. I see the goddamn yellow and black al Qaeda flag virtually every day. So don't tell me you support attacking al Qaeda but don't support the Iraq War.

The Shiite and Sunnis fighting for control of Iraq aren't terrorists. If there are still terrorists in Iraq fine, we should direct our attacks toward them, but fighting the insurgents isn't doing anything.

USMC the Almighty said:
(b) Even if the insurgents weren't comprised of terrorists we'd still be accomplishing our primary goal: making America safer. Through establishing a democratic gov't we would have an additional ally in the Middle East (the other being Israel) who would further our fight against terrorism. We would, by definition, be shutting down the terror training camps previously operating within Iraq's borders. We'd be preventing a terrorist state from taking hold in the Middle East, potentially with nuclear capabilities.

But we already have a "democracy" there. Iraq is already an ally. Even though the government is simply a puppet and the candidates are selected by our government, it still seems to be in the best interest of the Iraqis. As for the remaining terrorist camps in Iraq, fine, we should attack them. But fighting the insurgents and attempting to keep the peace is fostering anti-American feeling in the citizens (read The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell by John Crawford) and wasting lives.

Can you support our troops and still be against the war?

Turn the question around, could you be for the war and against the troops? No, that would be ridiculous. Now you know how the question sounds to me. It's said that this is a sneaky way to get people to support an unpopular war. Not so, do you really think anyone is so stupid as to fall for that? That is like saying that those who are part of the leftist wing of the Democratic party are total idiots!.

I remember when the war began.."1000's of Body Bags" were the mantra of the anti war crowd and then when that turned out to not be the case , they immediately began the chant, what's the exit strategy?, we support the troops and not the continued presence in Iraq". This has been the drum beat for 4 years. I knew that when I saw a bumper sticker that said, "Support the troops", that that sticker was placed by a leftist or someone who was being fooled by left wing propaganda into believing that all you had to do was say, "support the troops" and that somehow identified you with the patriots in this country. It gave you an out, your conscious was eased. Now the slogan has become to mean more than the original intent. You are being led to believe that the only way to support the troops is to protest for their withdrawal.

Let me give you a personal perspective. I was an enlisted soldier for 6 years, half of which I was on active duty. I was honorably discharged. I received a commission in 1969 upon volunteering for Vietnam. I retired as a Major after 8 1/2 years of active duty and over 20 years in the reserves. Given these credentials let me say that nothing disheartened me more than to read about the protests back home and the lies published in the press about what was happening in Vietnam. Sure we had our Lt. Callies just as we have our Abu Garib (SP?) but for the most part our soldiers, airmen and marines served with distinction and honor. Most of that was forgotten by the press who only cared about scandal. Hating the war and loving the warrior includes what the warrior does. You can not hate electricity and love the lineman. Go ahead, say you support the troops, then do nothing about it but demonstrate. Don't write letters, don't join the USO. Don't say anything good about the Commander in Chief, the Secretary of the Army, the Secretary of Defense, or of State, and expect me to believe you really care. Go ahead and pray for peace while you hold up defeatists signs, saying to pull out!. Forgive me, but I can not forgive you, then or now.:mad:

The most important thing is that America wins any war it happens to been in, and that means giving the troops all that they need and supporting their mission.

My main issue is like I noted in that link -- you don't have to send us goodies, don't need to write us letters, don't even have to fly a flag outside your house or say thank you to us in airports -- just don't make our jobs more difficult than they need to be.

You can be opposed to the war but still support the effort -- that is to say that even if you don't think going in was a good idea, you can still want the troops to succeed on our missions and still want the U.S. to win.

well then you should be able to accept when someone says they are against the war but support the troops because what they are saying is what you wrote they dont necessarily agree with the war and how its being handled But they do wish the troops well and hope they are victorious and come home un-harmed ........

but most of the right wingnuts and conservatives dont see it that way they say if your against the war your against the troops too

Bollocks

Turn the question around, could you be for the war and against the troops? No, that would be ridiculous. Now you know how the question sounds to me. It's said that this is a sneaky way to get people to support an unpopular war. Not so, do you really think anyone is so stupid as to fall for that? That is like saying that those who are part of the leftist wing of the Democratic party are total idiots!.

I remember when the war began.."1000's of Body Bags" were the mantra of the anti war crowd and then when that turned out to not be the case , they immediately began the chant, what's the exit strategy?, we support the troops and not the continued presence in Iraq". This has been the drum beat for 4 years. I knew that when I saw a bumper sticker that said, "Support the troops", that that sticker was placed by a leftist or someone who was being fooled by left wing propaganda into believing that all you had to do was say, "support the troops" and that somehow identified you with the patriots in this country. It gave you an out, your conscious was eased. Now the slogan has become to mean more than the original intent. You are being led to believe that the only way to support the troops is to protest for their withdrawal.

Let me give you a personal perspective. I was an enlisted soldier for 6 years, half of which I was on active duty. I was honorably discharged. I received a commission in 1969 upon volunteering for Vietnam. I retired as a Major after 8 1/2 years of active duty and over 20 years in the reserves. Given these credentials let me say that nothing disheartened me more than to read about the protests back home and the lies published in the press about what was happening in Vietnam. Sure we had our Lt. Callies just as we have our Abu Garib (SP?) but for the most part our soldiers, airmen and marines served with distinction and honor. Most of that was forgotten by the press who only cared about scandal. Hating the war and loving the warrior includes what the warrior does. You can not hate electricity and love the lineman. Go ahead, say you support the troops, then do nothing about it but demonstrate. Don't write letters, don't join the USO. Don't say anything good about the Commander in Chief, the Secretary of the Army, the Secretary of Defense, or of State, and expect me to believe you really care. Go ahead and pray for peace while you hold up defeatists signs, saying to pull out!. Forgive me, but I can not forgive you, then or now.:mad:

It would largely appear to me ,that your problem lies with the Corporate owned/controlled Media ? thats what i got from your post ........I think pulling out is a STUPID idea and we probably really wont do that...its just talk on the hill

Im ex military as well...but i am mature and educated enough to know the line or difference between right and wrong.......you spent time in country..all these years later your honestly going to tell me that the govt and the top brass handled Ops correctly in Indo-china?????

what your telling me is that the pentagon somehow handled Nam Differently that Iraq? your Blind in my opinion.........

Btw the Americans you are referring to are NOT patriots they are "Patriotic Americans"........the numbers of TRUE American Patriots are far far far less than the silly flag waving american

which most of them dont even realize they are waving what is Known as a "national" flag they arent even TRUE American Flags !!!all of you Flying a 3x5 Flag should familiarize yourselves with U.S. Flag codes..... because theose National flags, are NOT proprtioned correctly!! in other words, they arent american flags at all........ just REPRESENTATIONS OF Such any 3x5,,,,,,4x6,,,,,,2x4,,,,6x8,,,flag is nothing but a Representation of the US flag....... they arent REAL flags

I dont need your forgiveness I served My country proudly too......I LOVE MY COUNTRY ..its MY Government I FEAR...

I support the Troops in theatre as well as anywhere in the world .as they are all my brothers...........I do NOT support the PNAC and its world domination at the blodd of our childrens plans Im sorry

I understand duty and honor and know why our boys and girls do what they do an i wouldnt have it any other way

our problem lies with the crooks at the top of the food chain not with our commanding officers and enlisted men and women

The most important thing is that America wins any war it happens to been in, and that means giving the troops all that they need and supporting their mission.

No, the most important thing is that US doesn't start or become involved in any more unnecessary wars.

What concerns giving the troops all that they need, then the current administration clearly has failed the objective and should be impeached, not only because they already failed to provide for the troops, but also because they haven't rectified the shortcomings and supplied the troops with whatever they need, including a clear military objective.

And if you think that we should support their mission whatever it might be then you are out of your mind. I'm not supporting ethnic cleansing, colonization, permanent occupation, propping up dictatorships or anything of such nature if suddenly this or any other administration decided that would be in their interest or in the interest of their corporate friends.

No, the most important thing is that US doesn't start or become involved in any more unnecessary wars.

And if you think that we should support their mission whatever it might be then you are out of your mind. I'm not supporting... propping up dictatorships

Two things the USA have done enough of already.

This is more Bush propaganda "If you are not with us-you are against us." I feel sorry for the troops they are being used as targets for the radicals. I feel the gov. is taking advantage by requiring unlimited duty. I support anyone who is used and abused when they think they are doing the right thing.
The country does not treat you right when you are no longer serving their purpose or making them money. Just because it is worse in Cuba, Jamaca or someother remote is no excuse for the USA,

This is more Bush propaganda "If you are not with us-you are against us." I feel sorry for the troops they are being used as targets for the radicals. I feel the gov. is taking advantage by requiring unlimited duty. I support anyone who is used and abused when they think they are doing the right thing.

Couldn't have said it better.

We need Bush to stop with the BS that he's feeding us.

How can we hold these young men and women responsible for the misguidence of our govt? They went into the armed forces for various reasons, they knew there was a possibility of war, but i don't think they knew what Bush had in store for them.
I can support them, respect them for doing their jobs, and love them, but i don't have to support Bush's war, it's not their fault.

How can we hold these young men and women responsible for the misguidence of our govt? They went into the armed forces for various reasons, they knew there was a possibility of war, but i don't think they knew what Bush had in store for them.
I can support them, respect them for doing their jobs, and love them, but i don't have to support Bush's war, it's not their fault.

Amen to that!

:D

icono1

The troops where sent in by Congress at the request of the President et al.. The whole rush to judgment by the American body politic was partially to curry favor with the white house and to individually position themselves as true patriots which, by calculation, would give them an advantage during the next election over any challenger. The soldier by contrast is bound by 'duty' (contract) to go where ordered by the pentagon, which is told by congress where to go, and as such has no 'immediate' politically binding vote, as a block, as to either go or not to go to war. So personally I can support the troops in the field without supporting our govt's policy of war. Our politician's should always be held accountable for what they say and do. Also, if we the people, allow our elected politician's to send in troops to fight an ill advised war, then we the people need to hold the politicians accountable for such a failure of policy and vote them out.

No you cannot support our troops and not support their mission. They believe in their mission, and they will not respect your half-hearted support.

Werbung:
Back