1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

"Canada-U.S. pact allows cross-border military activity"

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by kida, Feb 25, 2008.

1. kida

kida New Member

From the Vancouver Sun:

2. Guaner

Guaner New Member

I see this trend occurring at great speed. It will not be long before the Mexican troops are also allowed on US soil. There is already a heavy military presence in Ciudad Juarez (border town with El Paso, TX) that has relieved the local police departments.

It won't be long before they too cross over to alleviate the rush of crimes that are sure to seep in.

3. kida

kida New Member

I understand the concerns about a "North American Union", but I don't see it as imminent, at least not within our lifetimes. There's no real advantage to it; there were advantages to the European Union, and there are potential advantages to the African Union, but there's already free trade and stuff between the North American countries. I don't think an NAU is something Canada, the U.S., and Mexico stand to gain from. Even in the EU, each country has it's own government and laws.

Still, it's kind of a step in that direction, which is kind of scary.

4. HannerAnna

HannerAnna New Member

this doesn't have to do with letting armies just go across the border whenever they want, or creating some kind of joint military unit right? if it's supposed to help make it easier to help each other more quickly when there's an emergency, i don't think there's anything wrong with it.

5. kida

kida New Member

I don't have a problem with cross-border assistance if requested in a time of crisis, per se. The problem (or the potential problem) here is that it's one more step away from national sovereignty and toward world government.

6. xboxundone

xboxundone New Member

I agree... help in crisis great.. general day to day activities no.... World Government to me = Bad for all society.