Capital Punishment

Are you saying that loss of freedom is the same as loss of life?

No, but I have often heard opponents of the death penalty use the argument "well life in prison is worse than the death penalty anyway". And given the fact that innocent people have certainly died during the course of the life prison sentence, should we then abolish prisons because there is the potential for an innocent person to be sentenced to a lifetime in jail?

Werbung:
No, but I have often heard opponents of the death penalty use the argument "well life in prison is worse than the death penalty anyway". And given the fact that innocent people have certainly died during the course of the life prison sentence, should we then abolish prisons because there is the potential for an innocent person to be sentenced to a lifetime in jail?

I have never heard that argument in opposition to the death penalty.

I have no problem with life in prison - as long as life means life - there are certain crimes where the offender is so dangerous to society there is no alternative. I don't regard it as worse than death. My feeling is, if their names are ever cleared - at least they may well still be alive and compensation can be made. Once they are executed - they can not be brought back to life and an innocent person is killed.

This is a very serious issue that we're talking about here,
and it seems like its a divided issues. There is a bunch of
facts concerning the death penalty that's being overlooked.
What I can't understand is how is life in prison worse then
the Death Penalty?

To me is topic is just like talking about Pro-life issues, and
Pro-life issues isn't capital punishment (Don't confuse the
two).

If anything I am against a person serving life in prison for
taking someone's life. Do any of you have a clue about
the cost per day to house a prisoner on death roll for
years. Now just picture the cost to have a prison serving
time for killing someone, and living the life in prison off of
the tex payers dollars... Juice their asses.

This is a very serious issue that we're talking about here,
and it seems like its a divided issues. There is a bunch of
facts concerning the death penalty that's being overlooked.
What I can't understand is how is life in prison worse then
the Death Penalty?

To me is topic is just like talking about Pro-life issues, and
Pro-life issues isn't capital punishment (Don't confuse the
two).

If anything I am against a person serving life in prison for
taking someone's life. Do any of you have a clue about
the cost per day to house a prisoner on death roll for
years. Now just picture the cost to have a prison serving
time for killing someone, and living the life in prison off of
the tex payers dollars... Juice their asses.

Well, here is what it comes down to.

The current death penalty is inequitable - race, gender, and class influence which cases get remanded to the death penalty phase. In addition innocent people have been exonerated on death row in increasing numbers. This means it's quite likely that innocent people have been executed.

Innocent is innocent and dead is dead. You can't bring them back to life.

If you support the death penalty as it currently stands then that means you agree that it is ok to kill a few innocent people since most of them are guilty anyway. The greater good outweights the individual good.

Well, here is what it comes down to.

The current death penalty is inequitable - race, gender, and class influence which cases get remanded to the death penalty phase. In addition innocent people have been exonerated on death row in increasing numbers. This means it's quite likely that innocent people have been executed.

Innocent is innocent and dead is dead. You can't bring them back to life.

If you support the death penalty as it currently stands then that means you agree that it is ok to kill a few innocent people since most of them are guilty anyway. The greater good outweights the individual good.

This was true in the past and I would even be okay with removing those not convicted with DNA evidence off death row, but since the mid-90s, DNA evidence has become a requirement in order for capital punishment to be handed down -- there won't be any more death row exonerations once those who were convicted pre-DNA era die off.

This was true in the past and I would even be okay with removing those not convicted with DNA evidence off death row, but since the mid-90s, DNA evidence has become a requirement in order for capital punishment to be handed down -- there won't be any more death row exonerations once those who were convicted pre-DNA era die off.

Has it become a requirement across the board - I ask this because I assumed that in state death penalty cases, it was up to each state?

Once all the inequities are evened out, I might - in reality - support the death penalty for the most heinious offenders.

Why do you (or why don't you) agree with enforcing the Death Penalty?

Because there is nothing more fundamental to human existence than the right to life, and from which all other rights derive.

Because the state, exercising all the powers inherent in the sovereign will, need not kill to punish.

In house crimes

Admittedly there are people who are wrongly convicted and sentenced to death. The trial system needs improvement.

That said, in Michigan there is no death penalty. And, just because a person is sent to prison does not mean that the citizens of Michigan are safe from them. For instance, Jack Budd (I knew him personally and his sister who suffered much from his death), and (cannot remember her first name, McCullough were Michigan prison guards that were killed in recent history. It would appear that if you are already a lifer, you do not have much to lose for additional crimes against guards. My step daughter is a guard, as is her husband, as are many people from my community.

Therefore, "putting someone away for life..." is not always a good substitute for a good long drop on a short rope. Given a life sentence, they are free to victimize other prisoners less vicious than them selves and the guards.

Werbung:
execute.jpg

Notice the striking correlation between executions and murders. The more executions, the fewer murders. The fewer executions, the more murders. Just look at when the time period the brief suspension of the death penalty in the U.S. from 1972-1976, the murder rate doubled. Then look at the rise of executions during the 1990s. Notice how this is inversely proportional to the murders occurring during the same time. This is just too obvious to ignore. The death penalty works, and the proof is right in front of your eyes.

Then all you need to do is execute everyone. Voila! No more murders!

Back