Carter years, but worse???

Carter was president from '76 to '80, during the worst of the OPEC oil crisis.

During that time, the price of a barrel of oil increased by a factor of 10, raising the price of everything that depends on oil, which, of course, includes just about everything. That price increase created double digit inflation and a worldwide recession.

We've just come through a time of high oil prices, but there was no shortage, no lines at the gas pumps, just higher prices. Unless you're old enough to remember the late '70s, you don't really know what energy shortages are all about.
Easy, there!! You risk educating the BUSHCO-fans!!! :eek:

January '74 - "That suspicion has been fanned largely by one fact: after three months of Arab embargo, blaring crisis headlines, long lines at gas stations and airline and auto-plant layoffs, the stocks of refined products held in the U.S. by oil companies are on the whole higher than they were a year ago. The latest figures from the American Petroleum Institute show that on Jan. 4 stocks of gasoline and residual oil (used to power factories and electric utility plants) were slightly lower than a year earlier. But inventories of jet fuels were slightly above those of early 1973, and refinery stocks of middle distillates (heating oils and diesel fuel), at 198.5 million bbl., were a startling 22% higher than they were a year earlier. The total for all major products, 488.4 million bbl., was almost 9% above the amount at the start of 1973. Thus many people are taking a line that goes roughly like this: the companies have plenty of oil to sell, but they have been talking up a crisis so that they can get big price increases. The Administration has helped the companies in this campaign, so this devil theory goes, because the White House wants to help its business friends create a crisis that will take the public's mind off Watergate."

Werbung:
The above is fictional rewriting of history.

Carter indirectly triggered huge oil increases by his weak and wavering "leadership" - his well-earned worldwide rep by 1979 as an appeaser encouraged the iranian revolution.
Yeah.....that's what happened. :rolleyes:

"In January 1952, democratic elections produced a majority for a grassroots political party, the National Front. The Shah had little choice but to appoint Dr. Mohammad Mossadeq, a National Front leader, as prime minister.

A reformer with years of public service, Mossadeq was European-educated and pro-American. (He led a post-war fight to deny the Soviet Union oil concessions in northern Iran.) Mossadeq considered foreign control of his countrys oil riches as a barrier to democracy and independence. His government nationalized the Anglo-Iranian Oil Co., to the joy of the Iranian people and horror of corporate executives and policy-makers in Britain and the U.S.

CIA operatives disguised as Mossadeq supporters harassed and threatened religious leaders. General Norman Schwarzkopf (father of the Gulf War general) smuggled more than $1 million into Iran. The CIA staged riots and bribed top military and police officials. In August 1953 the Shah returned to power, backed by the military, the U.S. and Britain. The following month the U.S. granted the Iranian government $45 million."

The above is fictional rewriting of history.

Carter indirectly triggered huge oil increases by his weak and wavering "leadership" - his well-earned worldwide rep by 1979 as an appeaser encouraged the iranian revolution. Carter also irrationally maintained import oil quotas, "windfall" oil taxes, and oil production constraints for a whole year before coming to his senses and acting on those, finally bringing down the price of oil. The 1979 crisis was about 10% OPEC and 90% Carter.

Carter was w/o question the worst president in US history, and he was dumped after four years in a historic landslide for Reagan.

My post was a rewriting of history? Hey, I lived that history. I know it up close and personal.

You may believe in the mutability of the past, but I don't.

One thing that occurred to me after making the post was that the 9.5% mortgage in '76 was made before the election of '76, when Carter was elected.

OK, now tell us how carter was responsible for the high interest rates before he was elected. Did he also go back and change the past?

While you're at it, explain just how any American president, no matter how inept, could trigger a worldwide recession. The presidency doesn't have that kind of power, and, now that GWB and his minions won't be around much longer, that office may never have extra Constitutional powers.

Mortgage rates went well into double digits during the Carter years. The Prime Rate was 21.5% when we got him out of office!!!!

He didnt' have any EXPERIENCE and made bad choices that HURT all Americans.

Are you trying to say the Carter years were okay? Do you honestly want a repeat of them?

Mortgage rates went well into double digits during the Carter years. The Prime Rate was 21.5% when we got him out of office!!!!

Are you trying to say the Carter years were okay? Do you honestly want a repeat of them?

Hopefully people will get themself out of debt as much as possible. There were no credit cards really when Carter was president. Well there were but the avarage Joe did not have them, now every one seems to and they are at max. this will be an added hardship we did not have during Carter.

You must be kidding.

After what Bush I did, to us, Americans still went-out and "hired" another Bush!!

Correction. As stated before, what Clinton did to us, and Bush had to deal with. Most of the the Bush years were spent cleaning up the mess he should have dealt with, but was to lame of a president to handle.

I didn't say that, did I?

here were no credit cards really when Carter was president. Well there were but the avarage Joe did not have them, now every one seems to and they are at max. this will be an added hardship we did not have during Carter.

I had credit cards in the '70s, and I was just an average Joe. Credit cards have been around quite a while.

They were hard to get in the '60s, but by the time Carter was inaugurated, they were pretty common. I don't think he had anything to do with credit cards, either.

It wasn't Carter that applied for this card, either:

republicardty7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm thinkin' all the young ones in college are well-aware of what started that hostage-$ituation.

....Or, at-the-very-least, better-informed about it.

One of the major problems was that Carter allowed the whole thing to happen to begin with. He was well informed that the soviets were funding an overthrow of the Shaw of Iran, and he choose to not support the Shaw.

He choose instead to ignore the situation and allow the Shaw to be overthrown, and our people to be captured. There never should have been any hostages to begin with.

Can you please dispense with the unsupportable garbage?

It wasn't Carter that applied for this card, either:

republicardty7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Actually he did spend far too much. Of course it's due to his failure that we have to deal with Iran.

What I don't get is why you blame Bush exclusively, and give a pass to all the liberals in government that write the bills. Why the double standard? Why do you blame one man exclusively, when there are 100 members of the Senate that are doing most of the spending?

Do you understand that as long as you willfully remain ignorant to who is doing the spending, the people doing it have no reason to stop?

Please.

Jimmy Carter's only mistake was campaigning as an Outsider (of D.C.'s status-quo).

Due to his insolence, Congress was more-than-happy to accomodate (and, maintain) that status. Carter got very-little cooperation (from Congress).

Werbung:
Back