1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Case for the death penalty

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by Popeye, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

As you can imagine the murders of these six people has been all over the news in Wa. state. This is a textbook example of a case where the death penalty should be used.
    http://www.thenewstribune.com/front/topstories/story/240169.html

2. heyjude

heyjude New Member

I am not opposed to the death penalty on principle. There are a couple of people in prison that I would personally kill, given the opportunity. Number one would be Sirhan Bishara Sirhan. The man who killed Bobby Kennedy.

The fact is though, that people get sentenced to death who are innocent. Given that, I think that we should abolish the death penalty, and stick to life without benifit of parole. I am not willing to kill one innocent man in order to also kill those who deserve to die. It is not necessary. And I truly believe that life in prison is worse than death. American prisons are not nice places.

3. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

For the death penalty, why not change the standard for conviction to guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. DNA evidence from independent labs could be used. The bar has to be set high enough so that their is no possibility of an innocent man dying.

In this case, these two have already confessed, and there is absolutely no question as to their guilt. Reading the details, this crime is particularly heinous. The murdering of two children after allowing the children to witness the murder of their parents.

The thought of life in prison may seem worse to us, but some people get along rather well as they adapt after a period of adjustment.

These two don't deserve to live.

4. numinus

numinus New Member

Unfortunately for you, a principle is so because it is entirely OBJECTIVE.

What you are saying, in effect, is that you do not oppose the principle of personal vengeance being employed in the criminal justice system.

5. heyjude

heyjude New Member

There really is no other reason for the death penalty. People want revenge. The need is so strong that centuries ago, we took punishment out of the hands of families who had a member raped or murdered. They were too likely to subject an accused to horrible punishment. And given the nature of punishments inflicted by our ancestors, it must have been horrible. Societies decided to allow only impartial judges to inflict punishment.

Non the less, vengence is alive and well in all trials. I have been on juries. They get seriously angry. I am opposed to that in some, but not all cases. It is unjust when it involves the less likable among us. In some cases blacks are punished all out of proportion to their crime, or far more likely to be convicted.

I was on a jury that ruled against a man, IMO, because he was gay. Or rather, precieved to be gay. He was a hairdresser. We on the jury made that an issue. We weren't asked to. But it was immediately brough up.

DNA is not available in all cases. Juries make decisions based on their own feelings. Some so deeply buried they don't even know they are there. Until juries become perfect, I think we should avoid the only penalty that can never be reversed. Innocent people have been killed. I don't want to kill an innocent.

6. numinus

numinus New Member

And that, in one sentence, is all the reason one needs to abolish it.