China expanding military - US cutting military

chestnut

Yes, while China continues to expand their military, our leaders here have decided to cut our defense spending and instead spend the money and giving the States incentive to have more people on welfare and expand government spending to insurmountable amounts.

Can this be happening for real?

Clinton cut back on military and defense and put this country in a situation where it was more vulnerable. And the 9-11 happened.

Right - Left it doesn't matter. We're still ONE nation and the way of life here can be changed if our leaders do not understand the threats and do the right thing for the defense of this country.

Werbung:
Yes, while China continues to expand their military, our leaders here have decided to cut our defense spending and instead spend the money and giving the States incentive to have more people on welfare and expand government spending to insurmountable amounts.
Our government-spending has been "expanded" by (actually) including our costs of being in Iraq & Afghansiatan, for the first time!

During the Bu$h Year$, all spending in Iraq & Afghansiatn was done thru Special Appropriations bills....thereby keeping such expenses out of BUSHCO's budget!!! I guess that's one o' the trick$ The Idiot Son learned, as a result of his MBA.

This wouldn't be something you'd have picked-up, in Highlights. :rolleyes:

I was just thinking about your comment and to some extent I can see what the Chinese may be trying to achieve? Most of chinese industry is geared for export and since exports have slumped as demand has fallen any economic stimulus package in this sector would be pointless, so they may well be trying to stimulate their economy (as the rest of the world is doing) by increasing spending within their military industrial base. As most Chinese arms and ammunition are domestically built their will be no leakage from the system and thus all (or most?) of the stimulus will benefit Chinese industry.

Still, the majority of PLA equipment is way below "western" standards and would probably not constitute an "arms race" as such?

Putting the defence spending in some kind of context though......

The newest data in 2009:
Unit: billion US dollars

1, USA: 515.4
2, PR CHINA: 70.25
3, JAPAN: 53.83
4, UK: 52.76
5, FRANCE: 41.3
6, GERMANY: 40.1
7, RUSSIA: 34.1
8, INDIA: 29
9, S.KOREA: 20.8
10, RO CHINA:11.6

Can this be happening for real?

Clinton cut back on military and defense and put this country in a situation where it was more vulnerable. And the 9-11 happened.

Right - Left it doesn't matter. We're still ONE nation and the way of life here can be changed if our leaders do not understand the threats and do the right thing for the defense of this country.

yea its scary I mean if they spend 4 times as much as they are now, they will almost catch up to us!

I'm all for us cutting some fat from the military budget, so long as the following 2 things happen before any other cuts can take place:

1. We end the private air-force taxi service enjoyed by the likes of Princess Pelosi.

2. We stop all military protection services to politicians when they travel outside of our borders - they should rely on the ultra-fantastic U.N. soldiers for protection.

As for China... They should manufacture another couple million assault rifles and ship them here to the US, so we citizens can buy them before the next assault weapons ban takes effect. Small arms are one Chinese export I'm glad to see come into the US... I expect lead in those products.

I'm all for us cutting some fat from the military budget, so long as the following 2 things happen before any other cuts can take place:

1. We end the private air-force taxi service enjoyed by the likes of Princess Pelosi.

2. We stop all military protection services to politicians when they travel outside of our borders - they should rely on the ultra-fantastic U.N. soldiers for protection.

As for China... They should manufacture another couple million assault rifles and ship them here to the US, so we citizens can buy them before the next assault weapons ban takes effect. Small arms are one Chinese export I'm glad to see come into the US... I expect lead in those products.

so untill then you are for wasteful spending on things we dont need. good to know.

Maybe the only good thing to come from the Bush depression is that we will be economically forced to cut back on our runaway military spending and consequent military adventurism.

Maybe the only good thing to come from the Bush depression is that we will be economically forced to cut back on our runaway military spending and consequent military adventurism.

Bush Depression? Does this mean you're giving Obama credit for following the "failed Bush policies" of bailouts and stimulus?

Runaway military spending... We've spent more in 6 months of bailouts and stimulus than we have in 8 years of war in two countries... If you think our military spending has been "runaway" then how would you describe the bailouts and stimulus? Light speed spending?

Bush Depression? Does this mean you're giving Obama credit for following the "failed Bush policies" of bailouts and stimulus?

Runaway military spending... We've spent more in 6 months of bailouts and stimulus than we have in 8 years of war in two countries... If you think our military spending has been "runaway" then how would you describe the bailouts and stimulus? Light speed spending?

Fixing of issues that where not addressed for 8-16 years and crashed just when Obama took over..

Werbung:
Fixing of issues that where not addressed for 8-16 years and crashed just when Obama took over..

What would have fixed the problems and who prevented those reforms?

People knew Fannie and Freddie were cooking the books since 2001 and your personal hero Barney Frank was one of those obstructing any reform. (cuz he was sexing up the CEO of a company funded by his committee and just happened to be receiving campaign donations from the same company but nobody saw that as a conflict of interest or even worthy of investigation)

Mark to Market was known to have devastating effects on the economy during a panicked market environment but some cried "deregulation!" when suggestions were made to reform that provision.

Of course there is always the "Its Bush's Fault" answer... For the realllllly sophisticated people.

Back