1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Chinese Coverage of London Protests

Discussion in 'Asian Politics' started by Bunz, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Bunz

Bunz New Member

I found this via TIME and thought it quite interesting, the difference in coverage between the Chinese "news" and the rest of the world, specifically the coverage from London.

First is the London report.

2. Bunz

Bunz New Member

Now from the official Chinese news outlet.
    I find the differences in those reports to be very sharp and quite telling.

Will the Beijing games be marred by this? I am one who hopes not. The olympics were designed to trump politics, promote peace and brotherhood it certainly has been the other way around historically.

Should the US boycott Beijing? And why?

3. 9sublime

9sublime Active Member

I was in London protesting and it almost made me proud to be British to see how we still care enough to cause some good old fashioned havoc in the name of freedom.

Our athletes should not boycott the games because they have spent their whole lives training for this event, but in every other respect we should boycott the games and make sure they are never hosted in circumstances like this again.

If China wants to use the Olympics for PR and political gain, its only fair Tibet does the same.

4. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Well-Known Member

I've banned Chinesse take aways - no more Meal D of four in our house!!!

[​IMG]

5. Bunz

Bunz New Member

How far from London are you? You were only almost proud to be British? Are you usually not a proud Briton?

I certainly agree with your views on sending the athletes. I am not sure about an otherwise boycott.

Also, of course the Chinese are using the games for PR and political gain. Just the same any country and host city would do. Have you ever seen the footage of the 1936 Berlin games? That was a total Nazi supremacy show. Nothing like having Jesse Owens show up and shove the Aryan supremacy theory up thier A$$
    Also of course the claims of supremacy from both sides of the cold war. Including boycotts of the 80-84 games.

6. Bunz

Bunz New Member

Your loss :D I had Chinese food tonight, very tasty.

7. 9sublime

9sublime Active Member

I live near Oxford, so 45 minutes on the train.

Am I proud to be British? Not in the traditional sense very much, but yes, in many ways I am. However, I don't regard myself as a patriot as such because that seems to involve loving your government too much in the face of problems.

8. vyo476

vyo476 Active Member

Oooh, Oxford, I've been there! Much more interesting than Stratford.

We have very similar views on national pride.

9. 9sublime

9sublime Active Member

Haha yeah Oxford is quality - I don't hear much about buzzing nightlife in Stratford.

10. Bunz

Bunz New Member

Ah my Modly friends, do you really think being a Patriot involves loving your government blindly? Patriotism in my mind has little in reality to do with the government. It involves your country, your city, your neighborhood.

If one loves thier government, they are not patriots, nor even citizens, they are subjects

11. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the conversations taking place in the boardrooms at Addidas, Nike and all the like....d'ya reckon they'd want their corporations to be associated with this fiasco :eek:

And as for you young BUNZ! - you disgraceful excuse for a human - eating chinese food eh! well go stand in the corner and don't talk to anyone till I say so :p..........................what did you have?

12. Bunz

Bunz New Member

Well in some ways they are. But it is rather minor in the Iraq issue. The sweatshops there are up for another discussion, for another time. I encourage you to start a thread on the issue and I will surely reply.
    Oh really, you have no idea. :) Where I live in Alaska is among the most remote areas of America. Literally no road connections, or any chain stores or mobile phones etc. for 350 airmiles.I am closer to Russia than Seattle.
    So, for me, who hasnt had chinese take out, in like 5 years, it was great!
    I had sesame chicken. Not the best, but nice to literally have the ability to order food that is delivered at your door whilst having a gut full of beer.

13. 9sublime

9sublime Active Member

Yeah thats a good point Bunz - patriotism doesn't HAVE to involve the government but invariably it has to be taken into account because your government represents you at home and abroad.

14. Aus22

Aus22 Well-Known Member

15. Aus22

Aus22 Well-Known Member

The Chinese coverage of the Paris relay highlighted the attempt to take the flame from a disable torcyh bearer. While the report in the ChinaDaily was exagareted it did show a photo of the incident. This has led to widespread protests against France.

I think every country tries to present news in a favourable light. The coverage of The Munich killing of Isreal athetics was quite difewrent in Gernmany to that in Australia or other wester4n countries.

Boycoting the Games prove useless in Moscow and los Angeles. It just denied Athletes their only chance to appear. It would cause retalion so that many countries would boycott the London Olympics.