"Chinese Taipei"??????

Libsmasher

Chinese Taipei? Huh?

IOC President Jacques Rogge has repeatedly spurted the old phony mantra that the olympics shouldn't be "politicized". But in the "parade of nations" during the opening ceremony in Beijing, the team members of the Republic of China were forced to follow a sign that said "chinese taipei". I've watched a number of olympics, and seen how this political degradation of the ROC has proceeded. You can see old films from the 1950s where their sign says "Republic of China", the name of the country. I remember seeing it as "Taiwan", which is the name of an island - a geographical feature, not a country. That's as if Denmank marched behind a sign that said "Jutland". From there, the sign was downgraded to "Taipei" - the capital of the ROC - the same as if the french marched behind a sign saying "Paris". Finally this time, they have a sign saying "chinese taipei" - an advertisement of the PRC's territorial claims. This is as if puerto rico, which marched behind a sign saying "puerto rico", had to use a sign saying "American San Juan". An added insult is that they had to carry the olympic flag, not the flag of the ROC. Meanwhile, "palestine", a non-state that is basically a bunch of polyglot arabs penned up in a few places, marched and carried their flag and had a sign that said "palestine".

No politicization?? Yaaa sure - the IOC politicizes it themselves.

Werbung:
What an amazing opening ceremony. Everyone in the audience were totally enthralled with the beauty of the choreography. And everyone cheered like crazy for Putin in China! much less for Bush.

But it was kept unpolitical and in the spirit of the games and that's what made it so beautiful.

Granted there may be a few Americans whose shoes are to tight who didn't enjoy it with the rest of the world.

Not to worry, the beauty of the whole spectacle was so amazing that even American grinches eventually have their cold hearts melted sooner or later.

I love China!!!

What an amazing opening ceremony. Everyone in the audience were totally enthralled with the beauty of the choreography. And everyone cheered like crazy for Putin in China! much less for Bush.

But it was kept unpolitical and in the spirit of the games and that's what made it so beautiful.

Granted there may be a few Americans whose shoes are to tight who didn't enjoy it with the rest of the world.

Not to worry, the beauty of the whole spectacle was so amazing that even American grinches eventually have their cold hearts melted sooner or later.

I love China!!!

Want to avoid debating the thread topic completely? Good idea - don't bite off what you can't chew.

Go to the second hand store and see if you can find a pair of shoes that aren't too tight for you libs. The ones you have are making you miserable and they have ruined a beautiful Olympic ceremony for you.

Then come back and I'll try again to melt your cold, cold heart.

Werbung:
Back