Chip implant for sex offenders

Hokeshel,

The studies you quoted all support the position that sex offenders are not likely to commit another sex crime after release, and that they are less likely than the average criminal to end up with another felony conviction (for any charge) after release from prison.

From the studies you linked to:

The Iowa Study
Page 2 Paragraph 1: "It appears that sex offense recidivism is relatively low when compared to other reoffenses ... The majority of reoffenses incuded other violent crimes, property offenses and/or probation or parole violations"

Page 10 Paragraph 2: "Sex-offense recidivism was low at 3.0 percent for the registry sample and 3.5 percent for the preregistry sample. The recidivism rate, including both sex-offense and non-sex-offense convictions, was 24.5 percent for the entire registry sample and 33.3 percent for the entire preregistry sample. The differences in recidivism were not found to be statistically significant."

Page 13 Graph: I cant paste this here, but the trend line is clear. Recidivism rate tapers over time, it does not increase as you suggest. (Of course as long as the recidivism rate is above zero the total number of reoffenses is obviously going to be larger over a larger time period)

The Arizona Study

Paragraph 5: "Among the 3,205 released sex offenders, 25.2% returned to prison in Arizona at least once within an average follow-up period of 6.85 years. Among the 3,205, 18.9% returned with a new felony conviction, 10.0% with a new felony conviction for a crime against persons (violent or sex crime), and 5.5% with a new felony conviction for a sex crime." That first sentence is a lower overall rate than the study I originally quoted. The last sentence is a slightly higher rate specific to sex offenders, but still in the 5% range (1 in 20 reoffend does not meet the definition of "likely" in my book)

Paragraph 8: "For released sex offenders who could be followed for the following lengths of time, 2.5% returned to prison with a new felony conviction within one year of release, 8.2% within two years, 12.6% within three years, 15.7% within four years, 18.3% within five years, 20.7% within six years, 22.4% within seven years, 24.0% within eight years, 24.8% within nine years, 26.2% within ten years, 26.8% within eleven years, and 28.3% within twelve years." I assume this is where you were getting at the idea that recividism increases over time. In fact if you read it carefully you see these are cumulative numbers, allow me to do the math to translate these into yearly totals: Year 1: 2.5% Year 2: 5.7% Year 3: 4.4% Year 4: 3.1% Year 5: 1.6% Year 6: 2.4% Year 7: 1.7% Year 8: 0.8% Year 9: 1.4% Year 10: 0.6% For a total of 26.8% recividism for any crime (not specifically sex a offense, which this study says was at 5.5% total over the 10 year period). So you see recividism peaks in year two and tapers after that.

The Pennsylvania Study
Summary Paragraph One: "Profiles of sex offenders consistently reveal low recidivism rates when compared to general offenders. Overall, approximately 5.3% of sex offenders are rearrested for a sex crime within 3 years of release." This agrees with all the other studies you and I have quoted. It suggests what I'm saying is true, which is that recividism is lower in sex offenders than the general criminal population.

Summary Paragraph One: "Sudies with extended follow-up periods reveal, however, that sex offender recidivism rates do not level off after 3 years but continue to grow. Extending a follow-up of sex offenders to 7 years produced a rate of 17.5%. It should be notedthat this recidivism rate is significantly lower than recidivism rates typically observed by general offenders" This number interestingly is lower than the Arizona study for general recidivism, and both authors point out that the number is lower than the general criminal population.

Body Paragraph One: "Also, compared to non-sex offenders, sex offenders had a lower overall rearrest rate for any type of crime (43% vs 68%) Furthermore, sex offenders were rearrested for less serious crimes. Of those who were rearrested 84% of non-sex offenders were rearrested for a felony while only 75% of sex offenders were arrested for a felony." In his opening paragraph the author of the PA study is quoting the DoJ study I quoted, and stating explicitly that sex offenders are less likely to be rearrested.

Body Paragraph Two: "Non-incest child molesters who molest boys are specifically at a high risk of recidivism. In fact, one study revealed that the highest recidivism rate among sex offenders was for those with previous sex offenses, who victimized boys from outside the family, and were never married. These sex offenders recidivated at a rate of 77%" A small subset of sex offenders, when whittled down using 4 different narrowing variables could be controlled to have a recidivism rate 9% higher than the average criminal (remember average criminal is 68%) Keep in mind one of the variables used was previous offenses, which inherently raises the likelyhood of more reoffenses in sex offenders and more vanilla criminals.

I would agree with you that a lifelong study would be nice. It would make the case more clearly either way, though since we know from the article that you linked that recidivism actually peaks in year 2, we can make well educated guesses on 3 to 7 year studies. All those studies say the following things:

1) Sex offenders are not likely to commit another sex crime after release from prison
2) Sex offenders are less likely than the average criminal to commit another felony after release from prison

So with those two facts undisputed, can anyone tell me why sex offenders should be treated differently than regular criminals?

Werbung:
Sarah,

I hear your comments, but how is it different for other criminals? Take murderers, people in prison for assault, armed robbery.. The statistics show the general criminal population ends up back in prison after release more often than sex offenders. Given that why should sex offenders be "tagged" while the rest of the criminal population is not?

And at this point, I'll jump in and ask that one think of the reason we look at sex offenders differently.

Don't worry, I do have a rationale- I'm just not gonna ram it down your throats. I'll also just point to my earlier point about implanting "everybody"- that was a hint also to encourage people to think about exactly on what grounds one is implanting these chips. It's about evaluating potential, essentially.

Until you are living in fear of your sex attacker returning you will never truly understand.
I have a sex attacker whom me and my family made statements about locked up for 10 years when i was 11 years old.
He has just been released 2 weeks ago and Im living in constant fear!
Now its my turn to be living like a prisoner!
We were informed he,s living about 20 miles away from us in the Teeside area.
This is just a bus ride away from us.
Child protection told us not to wurry he wont come back here as hes not allowed.
He wasnt allowed to interfere with all those children but he did.
I mean come on once a sex offender always a sex offender, and for those who are saying people change blah blah so your telling me that if a sex offender had chaged you would leave them alone with your children as there changed people i think not.
So a chip on him would be a life saver for us victims as we would feel 100% per cent saver than only relaying on his free will and look where that all got us last time!

Until you are living in fear of your sex attacker returning you will never truly understand.
I have a sex attacker whom me and my family made statements about locked up for 10 years when i was 11 years old.
He has just been released 2 weeks ago and Im living in constant fear!
Now its my turn to be living like a prisoner!
We were informed he,s living about 20 miles away from us in the Teeside area.
This is just a bus ride away from us.
Child protection told us not to wurry he wont come back here as hes not allowed.
He wasnt allowed to interfere with all those children but he did.
I mean come on once a sex offender always a sex offender, and for those who are saying people change blah blah so your telling me that if a sex offender had chaged you would leave them alone with your children as there changed people i think not.
So a chip on him would be a life saver for us victims as we would feel 100% per cent saver than only relaying on his free will and look where that all got us last time!

Destiny,

I sympathize with your situation, but do you think it would be any different for a victim of assault, armed robbery, or home invasion? If you had testified against a murderer or a gang member coming up for parole wouldn't you have the same fears? I'm not saying your fear isn't valid, I'm saying the situation you're describing is not unique to sex crimes. Also I think the four studies we've talked about in this thread show you that " I mean come on once a sex offender always a sex offender" is patently false.

Dong,

I would say its harder to understand the motive of the stereotypical sex offender. People (reasonably) fear what they don't understand. Its easy to imagine murder, theft or other more basic crimes. We see murder and assault on TV every day, and can think of scenarios where the crimes are justifiable, or at least the motives are understandable. Diddling kids on the other hand... harder to relate to. It's difficult to conceive of a specific motive, so the thought goes "well it must a compulsion, its in his blood" at which point people start making a bunch of unfounded assumptions and the irrationality of the fear grows.

Thanks for your reply!
But I'm just talking on my personal experiences!
If I had testified against a gang murderer etc then I would be afraid and still expect them to be chipped yes!
But for what we are talking about here I say bring it on so as me and my family can sleep better at night not wondering wheter he's near us or not!
I do not belive they can be cured at all.

That's true. And that's what's probably going to happen - everyone who's a felon (and eventually otherwise) will be tagged. Oh well. Our cell phones track us all, too.

Well, I can see where you're coming from- but this is getting closer to why I said if chipping of this sort goes ahead, we must chip everybody.

I think that one should be phrased as a question: would the practice of permanent monitoring of all people make for a safer way of living? Under what considerations would one find it objectionable?

Russia in the 50's (and China today) would be a perfect example of where this went off the rails. I don't think we ever knew what the real death toll was but I am under the impression it was in between the millions and tens of millions.

Given the direction of the current administration and our current population climate, one could be forgiven for thinking that it was a good idea- in fact it is plainly unsuitable.

Werbung:
Back