Chip implant for sex offenders

You are right dong. We have come somewhat full circle on here with this topic. It seems to hit a nerve with some and to be honest I am one that it hits a nerve with.

Werbung:
Strangely, it has the potential to hit a nerve with me too, but almost in the opposite way that it would most people. This seems counter-intuitive, but I spot a few issues regarding the legal system and morality that I'd like to tease out over the next little while. More to come in the philosophy section!

The vitrol I'm reading is impressive, but the logic isn't. For those who didn't read the thread from the beginning:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/rsorp94.htm

Within 3 years of release from prison:
3.3% of child molesters were rearrested for molestation
2.2% of non-molester sex offenders were rearrested for molestation
0.4% of the entire set of released criminals were rearrested for molestation

43% of sex offenders were rearrested in total (any criminal charge)
68% of non-sex offenders were rearrested in total (any criminal charge)

Why should sex offenders be treated worse than murderers, violent criminals, thieves, etc? There is no basis for it based on their post release behavior. The simple fact is that because people can search a database now and see how close they live, people are afraid and bordering on mass hysteria.

If you had a kid would you rather he got diddled by a sex offender, or shot in the head for his wallet? Neither option is appealing, but it simply makes no sense to talk about all these draconian practices applying to sex offenders only.

If you're with me so far, by your standards we should be cutting the hands off thieves, executing all convicted man slaughterers and murderers, and castrating all rapists. Alright... you can have that, just move to Iran. People in this country (used to?) believe in the concept of rehabilitation, and that once someone served their time they were fit to re enter society. The statistics I pasted demonstrate that is the case, in fact its more so the case for sex offenders than regular felons.

Someone please make a logical argument, beyond just "think of the children!"

Werbung:
While we're rehashing, I'd like to move the discussion to the practice of "commitment" of offenders, which some say is a complete waste of time...not least because people already take a dim view to released inmates.

Having talked about this to various professionals, I get the impression that most people tend to obsess about those who do reoffend, suggestive of some deep-rooted 'pathology' that compells them to their behavior, effectively rendering them unable to observe the conditions for living in society. Of course the course of action in this case is a difficult question, but...to put it extremely crassly, hey, it's just sex.

Back