Christians and the DOOM complex!

palefrost

Why is it that most practicing Christians you meet/talk to are convinced that the world is going to hell and its only a matter of minutes before God will come down on all of us and burn us alive for our sins?

Why are Christians so scared of the god they believe in? Shouldn't a true "Christian" have no worries? Why do they worship a God out of fear instead of love?

Werbung:
Why is it that most practicing Christians you meet/talk to are convinced that the world is going to hell and its only a matter of minutes before God will come down on all of us and burn us alive for our sins?

Why are Christians so scared of the god they believe in? Shouldn't a true "Christian" have no worries? Why do they worship a God out of fear instead of love?

The trouble with Christianity is that it is based on fear of retribution. If you sin, you go to hell. Get it? Many other religions have no “hell” and therefore the followers are free to actually enjoy their mortal lives.
Without fear, Christianity would be a completely different faith altogether. Maybe Judaism. Y’know what Christ was.
I think the doom complex comes from the way most Christians are raised. As a child in a catholic household I got a lot of CCD classes about how Christians were right in gods eyes. It really gets drilled into some people’s heads that there is only one proper way to ensure a pleasant afterlife… Christianity. :twocents:
So i guess the answer to your question is...
because they were raised to.

Im loving the 2 cents icon btw. Yeah i get all, its a brainwash thing i guess. I dont understand though why people continue to go along with it even after they grow up and know better though.

I wouldn't say brainwashing per se, because I don't think it is generally done on purpose. I think it is just a superiority complex, which is sadly forced on the youngest member of the culture.

Sarah made a good point though in another thread that applies to this argument as well. The fact that people learn not to think. I think it was the book thread you said something like that. Maybe im wrong but thats what i got out of it lol.

we can't guard our kids from everything, or they won't learn to do it for themselvs... you got it palefrost.

Sarah made a good point though in another thread that applies to this argument as well. The fact that people learn not to think. I think it was the book thread you said something like that. Maybe im wrong but thats what i got out of it lol.

Ditto on the what's wrong with education thread.

Check out this forum for nutty christians - the Rapture Ready message board: http://www.rr-bb.com/

It depends on where you look. In my experience, only the fundamentalist denominations of the Church have, as a general rule, the doomsdayers. It's important to note what the essential elements of Christianity really are- they're the things common to all mainstream denominations, and that'd pretty much revolve around the nature of Christ, recognition of his dying on the cross and thus absolution for sins. What the problem is, is that most people don't seem to get the point that there is supposed to be a difference between what is considered essential (and common to the one holy, apostolic catholic Church) and the other 'peripheral' concerns.

I won't go into it any further than that, as I just wrote an article which basically covered my views regarding this matter, covered by: http://dongstyle-ltd.livejournal.com/109621.html#cutid1 and http://dongstyle-ltd.livejournal.com/109833.html#cutid1. It's big...but yeah.

My basic point is that I reckon those people who focus on the afterlife, hell, the rapture (there is no mention of this in the Bible at all, and usually the people who go on preaching about whatever that is take this as their authority) are actually missing the point of Christianity. Maybe to the extent that the integrity of their belief is compromised, and they cannot really be called "Christian" in the true sense of the word.

One reason I suppose they do this or feel they need to is because they want to feel righteous about this and that and will haggle with you over every little bit that you don't agree with them. I'd like to see what they think of Jesus and the Pharisees, personally, but since I'm not a Christian, I'd run the risk of being labelled a gnostic, blasphemer, or heretic simply because that's what would discredit me, and therefore my views.

Thank god it was interesting, as opposed to boring or horrible or complete utter bilge.

Anyway, yeah, before somebody sees what I wrote and calls me the long-winded old bag that I am, I might as well say that this comes as the result of being immersed in various Christian environments and my habit of thinking about everything (so much for faith). Much of what I wrote in the above is probably reflects the attitude of a significant proportion of the senior clergy of the milder denominations, at least as far as I can tell in Australia.

P.S. By "Jesus and the Pharisees" I meant the book of Matthew.

Werbung:

You can sure tell by the last date entries that this is a hot topic. I have a lot to say on this issue but I doubt if anyone would read it since no one has posted to this thread in over 2 years ... I would like to get a real good debate going on this one topic if anyone is interested.........

:);):rolleyes:

Back