Colin Powell

Two things

First, the thread....

Mr. Powell is right. The terrorists knocked down a building. It was not the terrorists that started this nation down the course of:

- Allowing illegal wiretaps that bypassed the FISA courts which were setup for the exact purpose. This is an impeachable offense as far as I am concerned.

- Destroying the right of habeus corpis. A fundamental right in international law.

- Saying that is OK to torture people to the point that the pain is equivelent to organ failure.

- Creating warrentless secret searches that do not have court approval just by serving papers

- Creating secret prisons and holding people without acknowledging it.

These acts of a totalitarian dictatorship are more appropriate for the old Soviet Union, China or North Korea... but instead are all the result of the Bush administration.. No they are not the result of the terrorists, they did not do these things, this administration did.

Secondly....

USMC... I agree that name calling should not be allowed. I have not been posting here long, but I would say that as a moderator, you should be more conciencious than most.. Yet, I have seen you start calling names. This thread you call someone dumb and ignorant.

In this thread you say popeye has a pathetic life:
https://www.houseofpolitics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1842&page=2

May I respectfully suggest that you ease up on the vitriol.

Werbung:
Secondly....

USMC... I agree that name calling should not be allowed. I have not been posting here long, but I would say that as a moderator, you should be more conciencious than most.. Yet, I have seen you start calling names. This thread you call someone dumb and ignorant.

In this thread you say popeye has a pathetic life:
https://www.houseofpolitics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1842&page=2

May I respectfully suggest that you ease up on the vitriol.

First let me say that I didn't call Reliant dumb and ignorant, I said that when he acts a certain way, it makes him look dumb and ignorant but nonetheless I understand that I should hold myself to a higher standard.

As for calling popeye's life "pathetic", I agree that was inappropriate but it was a (over)reaction to popeye referring to General Patraeus as General "Betray Us". Perhaps he didn't understand what he was saying, only he knows that, but to any military officer the word "betrayal" has serious connotations. It means that his word is false, he's a liar, his actions are dishonorable and unforgiveable and he is willing to betray his country -- only a short step away from accusing him of committing treason, the highest offense someone could commit in our eyes.

You may or may not agree with the reasons for going into Iraq and you may not see eye to eye with President Bush or General Petraeus but he is an honorable, truthful man who at the very least deserves the respect of the American people he has served for 25 years. Of course, this doesn't excuse my namecalling, but to accuse Petraeus of betrayal is, in my opinion, the worst possible act of slander that popeye could engage in.

As for calling popeye's life "pathetic", I agree that was inappropriate but it was a (over)reaction to popeye referring to General Patraeus as General "Betray Us". Perhaps he didn't understand what he was saying, only he knows that, but to any military officer the word "betrayal" has serious connotations. It means that his word is false, he's a liar, his actions are dishonorable and unforgiveable and he is willing to betray his country -- only a short step away from accusing him of committing treason, the highest offense someone could commit in our eyes.

You may or may not agree with the reasons for going into Iraq and you may not see eye to eye with President Bush or General Petraeus but he is an honorable, truthful man who at the very least deserves the respect of the American people he has served for 25 years. Of course, this doesn't excuse my namecalling, but to accuse Petraeus of betrayal is, in my opinion, the worst possible act of slander that popeye could engage in.

Look, I don't take anything said about me, in the heat of debate, personally. I figure it's all part of having strong opinions, I rather enjoy the exchange. As for Gen. Patraeus, I had already begun referring to him as the Republican General as opposed to Betrayus, once I realized certain members of the forum had become deeply offended. I never meant he was an actual traitor, just a convenient shill for the Bush administration. That said, I have no intention of withholding my opinions, in the future, because of fear of offending someone. I would expect no less from from others who oppose me.

Look, I don't take anything said about me, in the heat of debate, personally.

That's good but I still have certain standards to uphold as a moderator.

I figure it's all part of having strong opinions, I rather enjoy the exchange. As for Gen. Patraeus, I had already begun referring to him as the Republican General as opposed to Betrayus, once I realized certain members of the forum had become deeply offended.

Calling him the "Republican General" is just typical partisan rhetoric which is sadly an inherent part of politics, but I feel Betrayus crosses the line.

I never meant he was an actual traitor, just a convenient shill for the Bush administration. That said, I have no intention of withholding my opinions, in the future, because of fear of offending someone. I would expect no less from from others who oppose me.

There aren't many things that I am sensitive about, but disrespecting the military and its leaders is one of them.

First let me say that I didn't call Reliant dumb and ignorant, I said that when he acts a certain way, it makes him look dumb and ignorant but nonetheless I understand that I should hold myself to a higher standard.

:rolleyes:

Anyone think Powell will get back into politics in 09? Who will he support in the 08 elections?

Werbung:
Colin Powell is probably the only person in this administration that I had any respect for. He was a good man, harshly used.

Why would you respect him? He appeared before the U.N. and gave so-called evidence he knew was either false or doctored. An honorable man would have resigned his position. History, as it should, will judge him harshly.

Back